• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird in Vratsa Mountains, Bulgaria - 08 Oct 2023 (1 Viewer)

Shumi

Ukraine
Dear All, I would be grateful for your opinions on what this could be - pics attached (very low quality, unfortunately). Two birds, thrush-sized, in high grass on a mountain meadow (1,300m elevation), flying very low above the grass for short-to-medium distances before disappearing back into the grass. Quite shy, flushed from about 50m or so.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
Hello,

I must admit the first species that came into my mind was a Mistle Thrush.

Your bird seems to show a jizz feature of this species against other thrush species: a paler and more buffish tinged rump, slightly contrasting to a darker (and often greyer) bird.
And considering the oversaturated image and low resolution (no offence), I agree with James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back