• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown golden plover in the middle Europe on 19-23.May 2023 (1 Viewer)

Arktisk

Germany
Hello dear colleagues.
I would like to ask you for a determination of a curious golden plover we have observed about 80km eastwards of Prague (CZ) in the middle Europe last weekend. I try to add some photos. Here is a link for video recording: www304.uschovna.cz/zasilka/KNYYY5RS7ZEGT5ST-89X
The most important video recording of them (because of bird´s flight and short flight-call) is named:
IMG_8209-odlet a hlas.MOV47.0 MB
Can anybody help me and write, if it was only European- or American- golden plover?
The bird was alone and always on shore of the small pond in the middle of large fields. It also didn´t avoid the low gras vegetation over the bank.
We made some snapshots, hopely you could open them..

Many thanks for help in advance.
Kiiur

Pluvialis.Tabor.Hrusnovka.B.20.5.2023.jpgPluvialis.Tabor.Chotesice.C.21.5.2023.jpgPluvialis.ZS.C.1B0A2525dppu1-z.jpgPluvialis.Tabor.Chotesice.D.21.5.2023.jpgPluvialis.ZS.A.1B0A2538dppu1-p.jpgPluvialis.ZS.B.1B0A2515dppu1-z.jpg

Superficially the primary/tertials/tail ratio could be ok for American, but the picture showing the pale underwings and the flight call lead me to say Eurasian.

American (and Pacific) have dusky underwings and the call is disyllabic. Difficult to get structure/leg length from these photos, but AMG and PGP are quite leggy and slim too.

Wait for the real experts though…

Hello all. Thanks for your warm reception:) So I am looking forward to getting some idea, what bird really we have observed:)
Many thanks for next messages in advance. Kk.

Hi Kiiur and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum, as I feel they're better placed to be able to help you with the identity of this guy.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

The only pro-American feature I can see, as B.H. mentioned, is the primary/tail ratio in a couple of the pictures, which might be a result of individual variation or perhaps the angle of the pictures. Overall shape, [apparent] light "armpit" colour, call, the feathering visible on the upper leg and the overall statistical probability say European to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back