• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown ground tyrant species, Peru (1 Viewer)

This photo was taken on rainbow mountain, Peru. Approx. 5200 metres. Appears to be a ground tyrant species.

Attachments

• CCA7CEC0-1F0D-4489-9BE0-9923B540B2F2.jpeg
    CCA7CEC0-1F0D-4489-9BE0-9923B540B2F2.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 46
Whouldn't White-fronted show white edges to the outer tail feathers? Also, the ones I've seen didn't have such well-defined eyebrows, they often merged above the base of the bill to form a sort of a messy white forehead patch.

Whouldn't White-fronted show white edges to the outer tail feathers?
I can see this in the op photo...

Macauley images suggest the white brow can vary from an ill-defined splodge as you describe to something neater (as here). Ochre-naped, the only other possibility, seems to be paler grey than this

I can see this in the op photo...
Aha you're right, lowering the luminosity on my screen I can now see it too. Just as well, since going through the book again, most ground-tyrants share that feature!
Still, I can't quite put into words what it is, but the jizz reminds more of one of the smaller species. If pressed, I'd probably go with Taczanowski's.
On the other hand, to me, ground-tyrants are the altiplano counterpart of elaenias, and I'd be leery of putting a name to a photo that didn't show nape and crown color and a better dorsal view.

Aha you're right, lowering the luminosity on my screen I can now see it too. Just as well, since going through the book again, most ground-tyrants share that feature!
Still, I can't quite put into words what it is, but the jizz reminds more of one of the smaller species. If pressed, I'd probably go with Taczanowski's.
Actually I think you're right: Taczanowski's Ground-Tyrant. I thought the relatively short tail ruled this out but I can see the length is variable. It's even darker than the other 2 and the eyebrow is always nice and neat (as here).

Agree we ideally need more information, but we can confidently rule some of the species out.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back