• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Tern from Namibia. (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
Wolvis Bay, Namibia
22 July 2023

We saw Great Crested (Swift) Terns and Damara Terns here, but not sure what this is. INaturalist suggested Sandwich Tern, but I don't think so. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 73
Very difficult for me at least, but I think maybe great crested: yellow bill, hint upperparts are dark, extensive dark cap

Very difficult for me at least, but I think maybe great crested: yellow bill, hint upperparts are dark, extensive dark cap
I think I agree with Fern. Certainly a 1st winter with the dark underwing primary tips and dark tail, and this suggests either Sandwich tern or Gt crested. Honestly, I am not sure if I can see the yellow bill, it being so pixelated and full of aberration that I not sure what is real or not.

However, I didn't think Sandwich bred anywhere close, so the date makes a 1w Sandwich very unlikely. Older Sandwich may well be around by they would be much whiter.

I would therefore go with Gt crested, although as the observer says in the OP, they were watching others of this species and this was different. Not sure what different means in this context.

Appreciate you guys taking a look at struggling with this mediocre photo. I pretty much came to the same conclusion. There were other immature Great Crested Terns around. Wasn't sure what to make of the distinct dark tip to the tail but found this image online which is pretty good match: ML84096901 Great Crested Tern Macaulay Library

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back