• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Great Tit behaviour? (1 Viewer)

Peter Street

I cleaned out my camera nest box end of September in which seven Great Tits had been succesfully raised.

A few days ago I switched on the camera and have observed since then a Great Tit visiting the empty box over the course of the whole day, inside and looking around for a few minutes then out again, returning on some occasions in less than one minute to have another look around or preen itself. This goes on from morning till night when it is used for roosting, presumably by the same bird.

I can understand a bird taking an interest in a box and wanting to claim it for breeding but surely not as early as late October?

I find this behaviour rather bizarre and wondered if anybody could explain whether this is normal.

I guess it might be claiming it as his winter roosting spot.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum. We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello ;)

Please join in wherever you like.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

The blue tits are doing the same here; they are checking out a roosting spot for winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back