• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual weather in UK (1 Viewer)

Climate change...so what,its always happened in the history of the planet no surprise their,the history of the planet is long ice ages,interspersed with "interglacial warming periods" which is were we are at the moment,in the70s we were being taught how the next "ice age" was due,we either learn to live with the effects of it,or we are selected for extinction,which has happened at least 3 times in the history of this planet,why are we so arrogant we think we can stop a natural cycle that has happened for millennia,just because we live in a modern world,I mean will evolution stop as well,the fact "climate change" is being used as an excuse to tax people to the hilt,whilst with the other hand governments give tax breaks for fracking is the biggest joke.
Whether we are helping towards climate change or not,we are just another factor adding to a natural cycle,are we all going to give up driving tomorrow,long distance twitching etc etc,instead we recycle a few tin cans because it sounds like a good idea,and build houses on flood plains and then start moaning when they,astonishingly,get flooded...the whole thing is so ridiculous its untrue..

Last edited:
Interglacial periods are warmer periods within ice ages. We're in an interglacial period just now, which means we're still technically in an ice age. The planet has experienced longer periods when NOT in an ice age.

Are you sure that those storms are really so violent or politicians exaggerate them because they want to show how they are helpful ?

Are you sure that those storms are really so violent or politicians exaggerate them because they want to show how they are helpful ?

It certainly is unusual to keep having storms coming across from the Atlantic for almost the whole of Jan and Feb, let alone December.

I lived in the Exmouth/Exeter area for more than four years ...certainly didn't see the railway line washed away then. Don't even recall any major storms. Storm after storm like this is not usual.

Here is Wilczka River Fall (~she little wolf River Fall) in Sudety Mountains before the flood of the millennium (1997):
wodospad-wilczki-przed.jpg
and after:
wodospad-wilczki-po.jpg
5 meters lower. The water blew an artificial threshold made from rocks by Germans in XIX century.

Maybe there is really something wrong if such sailors like British accustomed to storms, having many words to call weather on the sea, consider this situation as atypical.

Last edited:

In some respects, it's quite the opposite about many UK government politicians. see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26187711.

The refusal to accept data and evidence by people in power who often have commissioned the investigations is commonplace (and not a new phenomenon). Note how many politicians have carefully never engaged with the science, but always rely on unsupported assertions (AKA as the 'pub argument')
MJB

In some respects, it's quite the opposite about many UK government politicians. see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26187711.

The refusal to accept data and evidence by people in power who often have commissioned the investigations is commonplace (and not a new phenomenon). Note how many politicians have carefully never engaged with the science, but always rely on unsupported assertions (AKA as the 'pub argument')
MJB

Yeah, lets do away with democracy altogether and listen to unelected foreigners, who of course have no agenda.
I know, why not deselect any mp's that don't like the colour green, more propaganda from the biased BBC.
where is the evidence to link these storms to climate change?

Last edited:

The refusal to accept data and evidence by people in power who often have commissioned the investigations is commonplace (and not a new phenomenon). Note how many politicians have carefully never engaged with the science, but always rely on unsupported assertions (AKA as the 'pub argument'). MJB

Yeah, lets do away with democracy altogether and listen to unelected foreigners, who of course have no agenda.
I know, why not deselect any mp's that don't like the colour green, more propaganda from the biased BBC.
where is the evidence to link these storms to climate change?

I'm struggling to work out how my post could in any way be linked with "doing away with democracy", and so I can't really respond helpfully here. Also, the conflation of 'unelected' and 'foreigners' is a bit too cryptic for me.

What MPs like or don't like is beside the point if their position (to left or right) is based on unsupported assertions and not on evidence - there are useful examples of politicians acting thus on Ben Goldacre's website (http://www.badscience.net/) over the last ten years or so.

You could be right about the BBC - Roger Harrabin, a BBC science correspondent, has a mixed track record on getting things right, quite often in the past giving weight to nonsensical (to wit, not evidence-based) viewpoints in a muddled BBC perception of a 'balanced' presentation, although he's improved a lot, lately.

Linking any single weather event with climate change isn't justified on grounds of statistical significance, but linking increased intensity worldwide of severe weather events certainly is, because that prediction was made almost two decades ago: that link is statistically significant. It therefore follows (I wouldn't want to be accused of a non-sequitur here) that it makes no sense to conclude that every severe weather event cannot be linked to climate change. This aspect was referred to in some of the links that John Cantelo sent you (or at least in links these sources contained).
MJB

I'm struggling to work out how my post could in any way be linked with "doing away with democracy", and so I can't really respond helpfully here. Also, the conflation of 'unelected' and 'foreigners' is a bit too cryptic for me.

European Commission perhaps?

a

What MPs like or don't like is beside the point if their position (to left or right) is based on unsupported assertions and not on evidence - there are useful examples of politicians acting thus on Ben Goldacre's website (http://www.badscience.net/) over the last ten years or so.

You could be right about the BBC - Roger Harrabin, a BBC science correspondent, has a mixed track record on getting things right, quite often in the past giving weight to nonsensical (to wit, not evidence-based) viewpoints in a muddled BBC perception of a 'balanced' presentation, although he's improved a lot, lately.

Linking any single weather event with climate change isn't justified on grounds of statistical significance, but linking increased intensity worldwide of severe weather events certainly is, because that prediction was made almost two decades ago: that link is statistically significant. It therefore follows (I wouldn't want to be accused of a non-sequitur here) that it makes no sense to conclude that every severe weather event cannot be linked to climate change. This aspect was referred to in some of the links that John Cantelo sent you (or at least in links these sources contained).
MJB

Hi MJB did you read the article that you linked to? I was referring to the fact that an unelected Ozzie who heads the green party was calling for elected people to be dropped from cabinet because they don't believe in the whatever the weather its global warming scam. not you personally.The womans a complete fruitcake, listen to what she's saying.
However Lewis is right with the EU angle as various British governments have signed away our rights to control any number of things .
As for politicians being mis informed and therefore not acting correctly , all I'll say to that is the expenses scandal proved that the majority aren't fit for office so why not bin the lot.
As for the extreme weather, that's what it is , there is no direct link to Climate change, as for it being predicted , so did almost every other form of weather. Lot of things predicted haven't occurred though have they, like the current pause in temperature.
lets face it from bbq summers to drought conditions ( before the wettest April) to mild winters the Met can't even predict the near future weather let alone a hundred years time, reality isn't following what their models predicted
As previously stated I do more than my bit for the environment,maybe it's time the warmists started doing the same , and I don't mean paying for a few trees to be planted to offset the air miles accrued:eek!: as so far apart from making people a lot poorer or colder via inflated energy bills I'm not seeing a great deal being done to combat the problem, apart from those wonderful turbines that give so little for such large investments

Last edited:
Very important in water retention are forests. Deforestation can contribute to severity of floods. Britain seems to be a little deforested. I have liked all those inventions from childhood, first vehicles (except that one which killed Emma in Time machine), locomotives, and ships, captain Cook, pirates etc, but that has its price perhaps.

Last edited:
Hi MJB did you read the article that you linked to? I was referring to the fact that an unelected Ozzie who heads the green party was calling for elected people to be dropped from cabinet because they don't believe in the whatever the weather its global warming scam. not you personally.The womans a complete fruitcake, listen to what she's saying.
However Lewis is right with the EU angle as various British governments have signed away our rights to control any number of things .
As for politicians being mis informed and therefore not acting correctly , all I'll say to that is the expenses scandal proved that the majority aren't fit for office so why not bin the lot.
As for the extreme weather, that's what it is , there is no direct link to Climate change, as for it being predicted , so did almost every other form of weather. Lot of things predicted haven't occurred though have they, like the current pause in temperature.
lets face it from bbq summers to drought conditions ( before the wettest April) to mild winters the Met can't even predict the near future weather let alone a hundred years time, reality isn't following what their models predicted
As previously stated I do more than my bit for the environment,maybe it's time the warmists started doing the same , and I don't mean paying for a few trees to be planted to offset the air miles accrued:eek!: as so far apart from making people a lot poorer or colder via inflated energy bills I'm not seeing a great deal being done to combat the problem, apart from those wonderful turbines that give so little for such large investments

Strangely enough, unelected people, whether from UK or elsewhere, are perfectly entitled to call for support or removal of politicians, whether for fraud (the expense scandal which you rightly alluded to) or for ignoring evidence (which was the point of the Green Party case) in favour of beliefs which, (until these particular politicians detail their reasoning) are unsupported assertions that need to be challenged, and if they produce no rational, evidence-based argument, they should be indeed be dismissed. That's a bit of democracy that elected politicians ignore at their peril.

The 'pause in temperature' rise, even at the widest confidence limits, still sits well inside the overall temperature IPCC prediction limits; the concern of climate scientists in all the multi-disciplinary aspects is where the energy produced in all the constituent processes is going - in recent decades, much was accounted for by the declining trend in Arctic sea ice seasonal coverage and in Antarctic land ice thickness. Now the worry is that the elevated levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are leading to increased absorption by the oceans - once again, this process isn't a neat steady increase globally - some ocean areas show little change, but others show rapid change, for example, in the western Pacific where key elements in the marine organism community have diminished or disappeared, leading to a population explosion of jellyfish.

Quite a large proportion of environmental protection in UK derives from European initiatives and EC legislation, for example, The Birds Directive (Council Directive 2009/147/EC on the conservation of wild birds) of 2009; it certainly can be argued that many EU directives on conservation are less than perfect (probably because some nation's national interest forced unexpected compromises), but I've yet to hear of our present government's strategic conservation vision - the last few years of policy statements forced into policy reversals perhaps gives a hint on what might have happened if EC conservation legislation hadn't been in force.

I admire your individual efforts, and long may you continue in that way. I certainly try to do my bit, too. As regards wind power, the UK is catching up with some parts of Europe in terms of gross wind energy production, but in Europe they have reinforced their load-sharing distribution system, enabling power from a windy Spain to boost capacity in a becalmed Denmark, and vice versa (which is the essential aspect of locally intermittent power generation systems). However, the government in UK has not issued an ultimatum to UK power companies to do the same, which means that power available in the Western Isles can't quite so easily help out Kent. Furthermore, load-sharing between the UK and the Continent has not be reinforced, either.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back