• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

upland buzzard(Buteo hemilasius) vs common buzzard(Buteo japonicus)? (1 Viewer)

firepig36

South Korea
hi. I always have trouble distinguishing upland buzzard and common buzzard. How can I distinguish them?
I know that I can distinguish them if I see their upper side of the wing(by the width of white mark), but I have no idea what should I do if I see them flying away from below.
im not sure if my question is adequate for this forum. so if it isnt, please excuse me. im a korean and noob to this site so everything im doing may seem weird to you guys.
thx

Not much wrong with your post i reckon. Although usually specific cases are posted and debated here.
The subject of difficult Buteo in Korea has been treated here fairly recently.

I will add more later today if i can, yet i have little online and no rl experience w Upland.

Cheers
gerben

Last edited:
As you have noticed the more expert Buteoists here have not replied. That may be due to the fact that you are posing a very broad question.
There are some ID papers easily found online that describe at least a few of the features.
Maybe it is best to leave this one be, and start another thread as soon as you have been able to find/photograph a bird that begs the question: Upland or Eastern Buzzard... or Rough-legged Buzzard, or stray Long-legged Buzzard.

Good luck with this
cheers
Gerben

ps. I have been struggling with the duo since yesterday as 2 Japanese buteo records landed on my plate, both most likely wrongly identified.

Last edited:
How kind you are.
As I keep watching birds in the filed, I become to have the ability to identify two birds with a kind of "feeling".
I cannot explain exactly what differnt point of them makes that feeling, but there is definitely something 🤣
Thank you and have a good time with bird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back