• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Little Egret, female Redstart and Arctic Tern at the Flashes this morning; juv Med Gull at the Moors Pool at 10:45am (Clive Lee and Brian Richardson via Worcester Birding)

Last edited:
Juv Med gull just dropped into Flashes

also this evening teal 28, BHG 550,
willow tit on flashes feeders 7.15pm.
To keep the willow tits in the area in conjunction with John H at the sailing centre
Can you (anyone), top up feeders if they are low. The food is in the blue bin at back of feeders . The 'mix' is in the plastic tub, inside the bin.
Little owl on chimney and several pheasants on the north field.
5 common tern 4 ads and 1 juv roosted in the 1st flash on the old fence posts

Last edited:
Here are a couple of record shots of the Painted Lady that was at the Flashes on Friday.

Attachments

• Painted Lady UW1.jpeg
    Painted Lady UW1.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Painted Lady UW2.jpeg
    Painted Lady UW2.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 85
I'm new to all this so I know a few wouldn't be overly wowed but I wanted to share my totally beginners luck picture with you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 136
Work party at hen pool

PM, RC, BO, Bob, JC, PE and myself worked on the hen pool. We created channels along the bank edge to the west and east of the hide and 2 small open patches in front of the hide.
We now have the chance to see what ever turns up on this site. plenty of reed warblers after the work was done. Hopefully a crake will appear.
pics 1 and 2 before the work.
3. Me trying to be clever, by climbing through the window to stop being stung. OOPs too many cakes. The 2 Bobs had to pull me out, before my eyes popped out
4. Paul strimming
5. me actually doing some work.8-P

Attachments

• 1hen pool B4 workDSCF8061 (3).JPG
    1hen pool B4 workDSCF8061 (3).JPG
    347 KB · Views: 90
  • 2 hen pool ben poolDSCF8062 (3).JPG
    2 hen pool ben poolDSCF8062 (3).JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 3 me stuck in windowDSCF8065 (2).JPG
    3 me stuck in windowDSCF8065 (2).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 4 paul strimmingDSCF8069 (2).JPG
    4 paul strimmingDSCF8069 (2).JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 5me doing some workDSCF8066 (2).JPG
    5me doing some workDSCF8066 (2).JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 107
The first time I have visited my old 'local patch' for a number of years. Great to see all the development work that has been going on since those first work parties all those years ago Also to be told about this forum and the passion for the reserve is still so strong. I have been away too long. Time to visit more often. Cheers John and Steve

Hen Pool ready for the autumn

three views from the hide, after the work was done looking from, east to west.
Today we also cleared the boardwalk vegetation from the bridge and also erected new signs at the Moors car park.

Attachments

• 1 hen pool afta wrkDSCF8074 (2).JPG
    1 hen pool afta wrkDSCF8074 (2).JPG
    404 KB · Views: 119
  • 2. hen pool after wrkDSCF8075 (3).JPG
    2. hen pool after wrkDSCF8075 (3).JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 3. hen pool aftaDSCF8076 (3).JPG
    3. hen pool aftaDSCF8076 (3).JPG
    412 KB · Views: 109
  • 4. new signs at moors car parkDSCF8082 (2).JPG
    4. new signs at moors car parkDSCF8082 (2).JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Herring Gull Worcester

For Phil Andrews and Brian Stretch. Not UW but may be of interest. Worcester South Quay. Yesterday afternoon (Monday) Ringed Herring Gull. Metal ring on one leg and large white one on the other. A number of views of ring in hope it makes sense. If anyone is missing LBBG and HG juveniles they are here.
Phil E

Attachments

• P1280181.JPG
    P1280181.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 79
  • P1280183.JPG
    P1280183.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 95
  • P1280192.JPG
    P1280192.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 88
  • P1280198.JPG
    P1280198.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 77
The first time I have visited my old 'local patch' for a number of years. Great to see all the development work that has been going on since those first work parties all those years ago Also to be told about this forum and the passion for the reserve is still so strong. I have been away too long. Time to visit more often. Cheers John and Steve

Yes, don't leave it so long till the next visit KidB :)john

Last edited:
Whitethroats ( I hope)

Janner Falcon gets the good pics. I get the message - from the birds:-C Pic 1 is I think an adult and pic 2 a juvenile.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 117
Visited the Moors yesterday evening - very quiet, but did have a visit (west hide, 20:12) from a sparrowhawk which flew up out of the reeds onto the RH kingfisher stick, dived back in again and then landed on the LH stick briefly, only to disappear back into the reeds never to be seen again.

Today we arrived at 07:00. The tall willow near the jetties of the sailing lake was crowded to overflowing with house martins which sat and chattered for minutes at a time, then made a mass exoduses, returning in small groups.
There were a number of pied wagtails dashing about there too, and also at the flashes.

Over to the Moorsfor 09:30. The highlight of the day for me was the whitethroats (LH window) - I'm easily satisfied! Adults and juveniles were very active for minutes at a time before disappearing into the undergrowth or crossing the path.

Attachments

• IMG_1974a buzzard.jpg
    IMG_1974a buzzard.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1986a house martins.jpg
    IMG_1986a house martins.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2057a whitethroat juv pair.jpg
    IMG_2057a whitethroat juv pair.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_ 2058a whitethroat juv with berry.jpg
    IMG_ 2058a whitethroat juv with berry.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_ 2084a whitethroats.jpg
    IMG_ 2084a whitethroats.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
For Phil Andrews and Brian Stretch. Not UW but may be of interest. Worcester South Quay. Yesterday afternoon (Monday) Ringed Herring Gull. Metal ring on one leg and large white one on the other. A number of views of ring in hope it makes sense. If anyone is missing LBBG and HG juveniles they are here.
Phil E

Hi Phil - I can only find 2 Herring Gull ringing schemes that use 2 charachers (most are 3 or 4); both of these use black lettering (not green) on white rings so its a bit of a blank!

Phil E

Hi Phil,

These are Worcester bred birds and part of Peter Rock's ringing scheme. Alot more detail can be found here.

Brian

Good to hear from you Ian. I remember you well from my formative years in the early 80s at Upton,who could forget your manning of the CB radio on Scilly ! Hope to catch up with you soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back