• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (113 Viewers)

Talking about little black books, the following entry was in Arthur's note book for 27th August 1977. He did offer an identification but I thought I would see what the collective wisdom here is first before revealing:

"3 brief views of warbler flying from topmost sprigs of hedge by Moors car park. Large, grey brown, white below, long bill and low forehead - call note sparrow like chirp. Much too grey for Reed. Bold and erect shape - not right for any acro"

Last edited:
Talking about little black books, the following entry was in Arthur's note book for 27th August 1977. He did offer an identification but I thought I would see what the collective wisdom here is first before revealing:

"3 brief views of warbler flying from topmost sprigs of hedge by Moors car park. Large, grey brown, white below, long bill and low forehead - call note sparrow like chirp. Much too grey for Reed. Bold and neat shape - not right for any acro"

juv Barred warbler, right time of year:t:

"3 brief views of warbler flying from topmost sprigs of hedge by Moors car park. Large, grey brown, white below, long bill and low forehead - call note sparrow like chirp. Much too grey for Reed. Bold and erect shape - not right for any acro"

Olivaceous Warbler?... and if that's a "no" I'll throw in a real crippler of Upcher's Warbler!

Last edited:
Live update from Moors.
Flying over. Skylark 20+. Fieldfare 25*. Redwing 20. Meadow pipit 25. . Redpoll 2. Brambling. .
Snipe 40. Teal 6. Pochard 8. . Water rails calling all over the place. 2 cettis warblers singing.
Comma and red darter. And migrant hawker

I see you've had further suggestions and some similar conjecture/confirmation by Arthur that it was possibly a Melodious Warbler, Phil.
I was hanging too much on the colour. Arthur may have been seeing it as almost a silhouette hence his reference grey/brown and white (which I suppose could be a juvenile) vs grey/green and yellow (which is how I tend to group Melodious and Icterines).
Regardless, a very nice "near miss".

Here's hoping for more mysterious disclosures...

Last edited:
The one that got away..

Maybe not a warbler at all?.........how about Spotted Flycatcher.....

Heres one for you Phil A came in with another female and male pochard:t:

Attachments

• female pochard with tag DSC_5574.jpg
    female pochard with tag DSC_5574.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Pochard 1 DSC_5588.jpg
    Pochard 1 DSC_5588.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 129
  • pochard 2 DSC_5979.jpg
    pochard 2 DSC_5979.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
work party Today at MOORS

The views from the New hide at the Moors have been obscured by the growth of willows and scrub between the 2 hides. This was pruned today and the brash was used to thicken up the bramble areas close to the hides.
We also cleared and widened the ditch on the reeds side along the dam bank.
Many thanks to all who attended today especially Keith M his first work party. That makes 6 Blues Fans on the Tuesday crew, come on Villa where are you.8-P
There's even more Albion Fans than you lot.:-O

Pics
1 before work from upstairs looking NE
2. after work

Attachments

• 1.B4 wrk DSCF8952 (2).JPG
    1.B4 wrk DSCF8952 (2).JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.afta wrk DSCF8969 (2).JPG
    2.afta wrk DSCF8969 (2).JPG
    354 KB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread