• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (138 Viewers)

Sunday work party at Flashes

Thanks to everyone today for a great effort.;)
19 of us with another Newbie Neil Duggan - thanks mate:t:
Mike (wheatearlp) , Des (UW82), Gaz (biking Birder), Rich (Skeleton Man), Ian (Muntjac), Matt, Si (hairy Birder), Guy (not so Hairy), Phil W (PHW), Tim and Mary (Gladys), Tracy (Binus 63), Tony H, Neil D, Graham Lab, Mike Y, Phil Q, Derek and Dave (woodchat) as an observer .

Phase 1.
We started along the southern border hedgerow of the climbing frame. We tackled the eastern side 2 years ago. Today we tackled the central section.
The hedge consists of mostly maple and hawthorn. Some of it has died off, also some of it was getting 'leggy'. We laid a small section and pollarded other parts.
The rationale: These trees cast a shadow over the important herbaceous area between the hen brook and hedge. The hedge line is good for passing migrants and we have made it more 'scrubby' for breeding birds.
The cuttings were carried to the bridge boardwalk, where we created a dead hedge hurdle. Other brash was piled up against our border fence to form a dead hedge.
From here we moved on to the Feeding station. for Phase 2
pic 1 before work on the hedge
2. after the work
3. the dead hedge hurdle.

Attachments

• 1. B4 wrk climbing frame hedgeDSCF9338 (2).JPG
    1. B4 wrk climbing frame hedgeDSCF9338 (2).JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2 afta wrk climbing frame hedgeDSCF9348 (2).JPG
    2 afta wrk climbing frame hedgeDSCF9348 (2).JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 3. dead hedge hurdlecuttings from clinbing frame DSCF9352 (2).JPG
    3. dead hedge hurdlecuttings from clinbing frame DSCF9352 (2).JPG
    490.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Phase 2

Today we also revamped the feeding station.
We cut back the advancing blackthorn on the east side of the feeding station, on the reed bed side. This will allow views across parts of the Hen Pool and brook and we will also to able to see along more of the new fence line. Where one day we will have a goodie, shrike or the like, it will also attract brown hairstreaks to lay their eggs on the fresh growth. ;)

pic 1. before blackthorn was cut, as viewed from the cuckoo hide.
2. after the work.
3. feeding station before work.
4. after revamp.

also thanks to Claire (Ian's wife) for quality lemon drizzle
and Rich for the piping and Mary for running the 'cafe'. B :)

Attachments

• 4 B4 wrkblackthorn to east of fStnDSCF9339 (2).JPG
    4 B4 wrkblackthorn to east of fStnDSCF9339 (2).JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 5. afta wrk blackthornDSCF9344 (2).JPG
    5. afta wrk blackthornDSCF9344 (2).JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 6. FstnDSCF9342 (2).JPG
    6. FstnDSCF9342 (2).JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 7. afta revamp FstatnDSCF9345 (2).JPG
    7. afta revamp FstatnDSCF9345 (2).JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 94
Birds seen today at the Flashes . Before and after the work a large flock of redpoll were either feeding in alders or flying around. A minimum of 50 birds were joined by 30ish goldfinch. Also treecreeper and goldcrests were close by.

At the Moors this afternoon.
Little grebe 2. Teal c30 most in SW marsh. Shoveler c10. Pochard 40. Plenty of water rail. Onlt 20 coot, a sign that there is very food in the Moors is birds feeding under the feeders and grazing on the SW marsh grassland. 300 starlings circled briefly before flying off to the Flashes. Also 11 curlew. 200 lapwing.
Sailing pool: goldeneye female. Tufted 12. Coot 15.

Last edited:
Birds seen today at the Flashes . Before and after the work a large flock of redpoll were either feeding in alders or flying around. A minimum of 50 birds were joined by 30ish goldfinch. Also treecreeper and goldcrests were close by.

Nothing that looked Mealy-esque?

Good enjoyable morning with the work party. Very welcoming environment and would urge anyone to come and try it. Some rescheduling of my own boys sporting taxis's enabled me to come down and try my best.

Will be back again for sure. Not sure whether I'm too sold on John renaming me Noel but I'll give it a think it might be a grower ! ;)

Good enjoyable morning with the work party. Very welcoming environment and would urge anyone to come and try it. Some rescheduling of my own boys sporting taxis's enabled me to come down and try my best.

Will be back again for sure. Not sure whether I'm too sold on John renaming me Noel but I'll give it a think it might be a grower ! ;)

It's just for the Christmas period mate 3:)

8-PI just Can't spell Noel I mean Neil:-O

Saturday's late offering!

Flashes: (am) About 20 linnets and goldfinches (no redpolls!) formed a close knit flock flying from the top of the hedge to the grass and mud by the fox fence for a short while before they flew off towards the cuckoo hide.

Moors: (pm) 12 curlew regularly commuted between the shingle island, where they stood or washed, and the grass field behind the east hide, where they hunted for worms.
Four fieldfares sat in one of the trees bordering that field for a short while just before sunset.
A Cetti's warbler called from the Broadmeadow area and another was very loud and vociferous in the rushes and hedge to the right of the east hide.
Six water rail dashed after each other (running and swimming) from the left to right on the water's edge in front of the east hide, disappearing into the rushes as the light disappeared. There was a lot of squealing from the left and the right after this so just how many there actually are is debatable.
Last photo is of two cormorants flying south in the sunset.

(I now see that all attached photos are currently displaying larger than usual and need to be scrolled for full viewing - I haven't found a way around this - hence late posting.)

Attachments

• IMG_1724a.jpg
    IMG_1724a.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1803a.jpg
    IMG_1803a.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1810a.jpg
    IMG_1810a.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1924b.jpg
    IMG_1924b.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1977a.jpg
    IMG_1977a.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 121
Saturday while walking to East Hide there were a few Redpolls almost by the wooden gate - this is one.
When walking back there was a lot more with Goldfinches and a pair of Blackcap (spotted by Vern),around by the corner by the entrance to North Moors.
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 213 038.jpg
    Canon 213 038.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 147
A couple of hours spent at the Moors, west hide yesterday pm.

Goldeneye, at least 2 cettis, one calling from the Broadmeadow, the other active in the reeds by the feeders.

Starlings and pied wagtails still going into roost 4.45.

Tuesday Work Party at North Moors

Today 14 of us continued the rejuvenation of the NW thicket.
As we delved deeper into it, it become more obvious that the majority of the blackthorns were dead from 4 feet upwards. We have left a few dead specimens to rot down in situ and provide insect food for insectivorous birds.
Others were cut down and left as either a pollard or coppice. This will give us structural diversity. The tall leggy specimens at the front of the thicket have been cut down to allow light inside, this will help any saplings break through and sprout next spring. All the thorn bushes on the north and NW boundary line have been left untouched, whether dead or alive. This will act as a corridor for roving passerine flocks, providing food and shelter.
We have also left many logs scattered about, these will rot down naturally, again insects will thrive, with the obvious benefits.

Pics 1. before work inside the thicket looking north east.
2. after work same area as 1
3. Before work from middle of NM trail (by seasonal pool) looking NW.
4 after work same area as 3
5. inside thicket looking north

Over the last 8 days we have had 35 different people on the 3 work parties , 2 at the Moors and 1 at the Flashes. B :) and thanks to everyone from Paul M and myself, a truly great effort.

Attachments

• 1.b4  todays wrk insid thicketDSCF9280 (2).JPG
    1.b4 todays wrk insid thicketDSCF9280 (2).JPG
    427.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 2 afta wrk same area as 1DSCF9354 (2).JPG
    2 afta wrk same area as 1DSCF9354 (2).JPG
    446 KB · Views: 110
  • 3.B4 todays wrk from east of NW scrub DSCF9290 (2).JPG
    3.B4 todays wrk from east of NW scrub DSCF9290 (2).JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.afta wrk same as 3DSCF9362 (2).JPG
    4.afta wrk same as 3DSCF9362 (2).JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 5 afta wrk internalDSCF9360 (2).JPG
    5 afta wrk internalDSCF9360 (2).JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 111
Birding at the Moors today

Only briefly 'birded' today, from the west hide.

Shoveler 14, teal 40+, Pochard 40, Tufted 45, lapwing c20, snipe 40+ came out of roost at dark mostly from Amys marsh, but double figures from the west side by concrete hide. Curlew no count c10, BHG 50, Peregrine, buzzard, coot c15 (no accurate count), water rail 6 or so around west hides. Cettis warbler 2, fieldfare 30,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back