• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Highlights of this mornings vist

Moors:
Ad GBBG present for about 2mins c09:30
Redshank briefly
Water Rail calling on North Moors
2w Common Gull
3+ Little Grebe
7+ Great Crested Grebes
66 Tufted Duck
4 Oystercatchers
Skylark singing
5+ Stock Dove
150+ Fieldfare, 100+ Redwing seemingly heading east along with a few Starlings
2 Grey Heron
Large Rat at feeding station from West Hide

Flashes:
16 Avocet
presumably the Redshank from the Moors
2 Oystercatchers
2 Shelduck
4 Stock Dove

Attachments

• gbb.jpg
    gbb.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Today at the Reserve

A good gathering of 'birders' throughout the day.
The Flashes was alive this morning, on a truly proper spring day.
All the grassy areas were supporting feeding birds. The meadow had coot, curlew, lapwing, Avocet, mallard and teal. The freshly exposed grassy zone in front of the oak tree, was full of birds which included curlew (12) never seen them here before, snipe, teal, mallard, coot, moorhen and stock doves. The avocet and BHG were prospecting on many of the shingle islands.
I went back this afternoon, and the teal flock had almost double from my earlier visit.
Andy P will probably have a bit to add.

Species count at Flashes:
Teal 59, Gadwall 2 males, Shelduck 3 (pr + m), Mallard 30, Tufted 6, coot 24, Mute swan pr, greylag pr over,
Oystercatcher 2, lapwing 4 ( M+ 3F), Avocet 16, curlew 16, Snipe 6, Redshank (for 3rd day),
BHG 600, Herring gull 12 most 1st Winters, LBBG 5,
Buzzard 3, sparrowhawk,
stock dove 3, green woodpecker
starling 90, fieldfare few, redwing, pied wag 2,
linnet 4, reed bunting 2 singing

Sailing pool: GCG 6, tufted 14, coot 5, grey wag,

Last edited:
The MOORS 11.30am till 3.30pm

Spent the afternoon with Rob in the east hide. The cool westerly wind freshened throughout the day taking the 'shine off the sun'.
The Oysterctchers were involve in some strange behaviour. Five birds were on site, two pairs and what is presumed to be an unattached male. This latter bird seemed intent on taking a 'beating'. At times, it stood impassive as the male of the pair starting attacking it. These attacks were mostly on the islands, but several times the beatings occurred in the water. The interloper rarely fought back, but instead of getting the hint and flying off, it came back for more, even the BHG's joined in the onslaught. Territorial disputes are usually settled by bouts of vociferous head bowing gestures, when both pairs line up side by side , but seldom become physical. This was different, the bird being attacked was a sub ordinate and could well have been one of last years youngsters. Rob should have some pics:t: Other than this, not a lot happening. The recently cut reeds on the southern end of the promontory was covered in snipe.

species count Moors
GCG 4, little grebe heard, cormorant 10, mute swan pr, shoveler 21, teal 11, gadwall male, shelduck male (later at Flashes), Pochard 8, tufted 44, coot 20+, water rail to left of hide, lapwing only 1, oystercatcher 5, snipe c40,
redwing 40 by car park.

A good gathering of 'birders' throughout the day.
The Flashes was alive this morning, on a truly proper spring day.
All the grassy areas were supporting feeding birds. The meadow had coot, curlew, lapwing, Avocet, mallard and teal. The freshly exposed grassy zone in front of the oak tree, was full of birds which included curlew (12) never seen them here before, snipe, teal, mallard, coot, moorhen and stock doves. The avocet and BHG were prospecting on many of the shingle islands.
I went back this afternoon, and the teal flock had almost double from my earlier visit.
Andy P will probably have a bit to add.

Species count at Moors:
Teal 59, Gadwall 2 males, Shelduck 3 (pr + m), Mallard 30, Tufted 6, coot 24, Mute swan pr, greylag pr over,
Oystercatcher 2, lapwing 4 ( M+ 3F), Avocet 16, curlew 16, Snipe 6, Redshank (for 3rd day),
Buzzard 3, sparrowhawk,

Sailing pool: GCG 6, tufted 14, coot 5, grey wag,

21 Curlews were in the roost at the Flashes when I left just after 6pm.

My species count at the Moors Poll was as follows:

Oystercatcher 5, Snipe 26, Lapwing 2, Curlew 4, Gadwall 1 drake, Shelduck 1, Tufted Duck 27, Shoveler 20, Pochard 11, Teal 6, GC Grebe 2, Little Grebe 2, Water Rail 1, Cormorant 19, Buzzard 3, Cetti's Warbler (singing near causeway), Fieldfare & Redwing.

I also saw my first butterfly this year - a Red Admiral in the Ed Res.

Species count at Moors:
Buzzard 3, sparrowhawk,

hi john, looking at the numbers i think this is the count for the flashes ;)

fwiw i had a m+f gadwall (in what i think is called the 'broad meadow pool' at moors) first thing (7ish) - saw the m again later but not f

jon

1. Mistle Thrush? On the list for March Phil?
2. Think I found the culprit who did your mirror in Vern!
3 & 4. Distant shots of Oystercatcher 'Rumble in the Jungle'.

Attachments

• _ROB2675.jpg
    _ROB2675.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_7011.jpg
    DSC_7011.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_7182.jpg
    DSC_7182.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_7362.jpg
    DSC_7362.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 93

Rob, perhaps I should have waited for your pics, save me waffling on.

Warning! make sure you don't wear mirrored sunglasses, the tits will have ya:smoke:

Yes - March's list has progressed smoothly to 74 already. Missing are Bittern, Kestrel (again), Kingfisher, Collared Dove, Coal Tit and House Sparrow

flashes

3 gadwall, 1 shelduck,20+ common snipe clear in front of broadmeadow pool,18herring gulls

EDIT sorry I meant Moors, plus Cettis singing by causeway

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back