• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (161 Viewers)

Flashes, Friday:

1. LRP and chick
2. LRP chick goes solo
3. Restless oycs
4. Lapwing family of four
5. Lapwing chick (one of the 'one-parent' family)

Attachments

• IMG_0540a.jpg
    IMG_0540a.jpg
    870.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0560a.jpg
    IMG_0560a.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0657a.jpg
    IMG_0657a.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0669a.jpg
    IMG_0669a.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0724a.jpg
    IMG_0724a.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 51
Friday contd.

Flashes
1. Shelducklings

Moors
2. Blackbird alarm-calling
3. Little Grebe
4. Reed Bunting feeding baby
5. Young Moorhen

Attachments

• IMG_0700a.jpg
    IMG_0700a.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0833a.jpg
    IMG_0833a.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0889a.jpg
    IMG_0889a.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0963a.jpg
    IMG_0963a.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1022a.jpg
    IMG_1022a.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 47
Dave J at Flashes this am.
29 Avocets (22 young), 8 Shelduck (8 young), 9 young Lapwing, single LRP chick, 2 Cuckoo

and Moors
Mediterranean Gull (2s), Oystercatcher chick from 1st brood, could only see 2 from 2nd brood. No young Lapwing -

CAR PARK at SAILING POOL

There seemed to be a bit of a problem gaining access to the Flashes today. Several people have contacted me about being turned away from the car park, I don't know if anyone has any details of what was happening, but if you do could you let me know. or post on here
B :)john

There seemed to be a bit of a problem gaining access to the Flashes today. Several people have contacted me about being turned away from the car park, I don't know if anyone has any details of what was happening, but if you do could you let me know. or post on here
B :)john

Were they turned away because the car park was full or just not allowed onto the car park?

Des.

Were they turned away because the car park was full or just not allowed onto the car park?

Des.

a bit of both from the sounds of it. I have since been told that the car park was rammed but overflow was closed. The trust were supposed to be in discussion with the sailing centre over the 'left car park' , but its gone quiet on that score. Or at least no one from the Trust has told us anything.

a bit of both from the sounds of it. I have since been told that the car park was rammed but overflow was closed. The trust were supposed to be in discussion with the sailing centre over the 'left car park' , but its gone quiet on that score. Or at least no one from the Trust has told us anything.

I had a similar issue last Wednesda evening. I went from the Flashes to the Moors and back to the Flashes. On my return to the Flashes the car park was full as was the overflow with a mixture of cars and lorries. I had to park at Webbs and make sure I got back before closing at 8.00 pm. The reason for the number of vehicles was s swimming session.

I should add that all of the available grass verges were being used, including on the A38.

Des.

Seems that things are slowly worsening at the Flashes with regard to parking! The locking of the gates in the evening seems to be deterring visitors if my experiences on Thursdays is anything to go by - no one there when I arrived at 8'ish last week and only one the previous week. Of course it may just be the lack of migrant waders that is putting people off combined with the risk of being locked in or parking outside the gate. If this is exacerbated by being unable to access the car park during the day because of well-attended activities at the Sailing Pool then there will be even fewer visiting the Flashes. Yes you can park at the Moors and walk, but this is not an attractive option for those that stay late in the evening - the Salwarpe path after dark isn't great! Not sure what the answer is unless the Trust pursues the over-flow car park option - and this would need to ensure a cessation of lorry parking before it's viable from a Trust visitor's point of view.

Yesterday a wildlife trust member came up from Oxford just to see the Avocets. He was turned away and then went to the Moors. He returned three hours later and received the same response. Unfortunately he then had had enough and went home very un-happy. What we have to remember is that we have NO RIGHT OF ACCESS to the car park.It isnt the Sailing centre's fault they have a business to run. The overflow car park has been discussed with the Trust but that was nearly a year ago. I am as frustrated as everyone else and have no say in the situation..If you feel strongly about this please contact the Trust and please DO NOT MOAN TO THE SAILING CENTRE STAFF. its not their problem...

Last edited:
Flashes car parking

Regarding the recent problem with the sailing centre car park;
As John Belsey points out, visitors have no God-given right to park here - it is just an informal arrangement. Some people seem to take it for granted. If the car park is full of centre customers, it is hard luck really and for the moment all I can suggest is that people park at Webbs, or at the Moors. You've got to walk down to the Flashes anyway, so a few minutes extra walk won't make any difference.
Not sure where we are with parking on the overspill car park, it's up to members to bully the trust into doing something they don't much like - taking some action! It probably would involve the trust compensating the centre for the loss of revenue from the lorry parking.
During the day if the car park is rammed, it might be worth asking to have the overspill gate opened.
NB - unofficial observations only!

As is usual Trust intransigence had lead to an ongoing issue not being resolved and now developing. The lack of any formal agreement with WCC regarding either use of the Sailing Centre car park or some form of exclusivemess for the overflow. This situation - and the strong advice to bottom it out - came to a head when WCC granted a lease of the Sailing Centre to Aztec; despite assurances clearly nothing was done to safeguard access. I can't believe Webbs will tolerate notable numbers of birders parking on their site and then not offering their patronage.

I have heard back from the Trust who want to assure us that negotiations with regards to parking with Aztec (the firm that run the Sailing Centre) are ongoing and looking very positive.
We hope to have a workable agreement soon and once we have details we will let you know.

Sy

Update from the Moors...the long lost lapwing chick has reappeared. Also 2+1 oystercatcher chicks..2 common tern sitting and Lesser whitethroat singing along west side..

At FLASHES only saw 4 lapwing chicks brood of 3 in channel below hide and 1 in meadow. A chick /s are out of sight in the southern area of 2 nd Flash the parents were vigorously attacking a crow in there. Oyc plus at least one chick in meadow. No lrp chick but 4 ads. Avocets all 22 chicks ok. Shoveler pr. Shelduck 8+8chicks.
The BHG were acting very aggressively today, to their own. I watched two nearly fledged juvs peck at and then drown a very small chick. Again another chick was drowned by an adult. An half grown chick was relentlessly attacked by two adults and looked the worse for wear when I left.
I also saw an adult BHG pick up a lapwing chick on 2 occasions luckily the lapwing's parent attacked it and the chick was dropped. I wonder if this is one of the reasons along with the cold weather as to why the lapwing have suddenly declined.
One other aspect of BHG behaviour was the sight of a 1st Summer bird feeding its young on its nest at the end of the spit. I wasn't sure if they bred in their 1st year, but this proves it beyond doubt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back