• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (106 Viewers)

Work Party at Moors yesterday 16th Nov

We concentrated on pollarding willows today firstly between the car park and reed bed of the north moors pool. Then along the causeway immediately east of the car park and also larger trees along the west track on the reed bed side. The reasons for this are that the car park is due to be extended early next year, so us managing the trees would be better than contractors who do not understand the site and its requirements. The willows on the causeway were shading out the hawthorns close by this will now give them chance to thrive. The 'crack' willows along the west track have become overgrown and are falling into the reeds where they are sucking the land dry and ultimately killing the reeds.
Birds seen at the Moors include several goldcrests, 2 cettis warblers singing , 22 curlews on Amy's marsh east island just 1 snipe and 8 shoveler. Several water rail called from the reed beds
The Flashes were also fairly quiet with 64 Teal, 2 Shoveler, 10 Snipe, 3 siskin and 1 lesser redpoll.

Pic of car park at Moors after pollarding session Tuesday

Attachments

• best car park reeds afta polding nov2010.jpg
    best car park reeds afta polding nov2010.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
We concentrated on pollarding willows today firstly between the car park and reed bed of the north moors pool. Then along the causeway immediately east of the car park and also larger trees along the west track on the reed bed side. The reasons for this are that the car park is due to be extended early next year, so us managing the trees would be better than contractors who do not understand the site and its requirements. The willows on the causeway were shading out the hawthorns close by this will now give them chance to thrive. The 'crack' willows along the west track have become overgrown and are falling into the reeds where they are sucking the land dry and ultimately killing the reeds.
Birds seen at the Moors include several goldcrests, 2 cettis warblers singing , 22 curlews on Amy's marsh east island just 1 snipe and 8 shoveler. Several water rail called from the reed beds
The Flashes were also fairly quiet with 64 Teal, 2 Shoveler, 10 Snipe, 3 siskin and 1 lesser redpoll.

Good Job John - that really makes a difference. With good reed beds being so rare in the Midlands this is vital work. :t:

Last edited:
Good Job John - that really makes a difference. With good reed beds being so rare in the Midlands this is vital work. :t:
Hi Gert
All credit to Paul M and his team of which I am a part, this is all part of Paul's plans. For anyone who can make Tuesday mornings the more of us the more we achieve. With so much more in the pipeline we will be hard pressed to achieve all our goals that have been set (by spring). Which includes the building and installing of a 'sand martin bank'. Some other interesting and worthwhile projects are also scheduled including opening up overgrown areas to attract scrub warblers. Watch this space ;)

Meet at the Moors car park at 9am every Tuesday. Finish by 1pm
B :)John

Last edited:
Short eared Owl seen flying over Hen pool area of the Flashes this morning then flew towards the masts.
It might be worth sitting in the hide and waiting this evening making sure that someone is also looking out the back and sides, as in the past they have appeared behind the hide and also over adjoining fields to the sides.:t:
I hopefully will be there from 4pm

Short eared Owl seen flying over Hen pool area of the Flashes this morning then flew towards the masts.
It might be worth sitting in the hide and waiting this evening making sure that someone is also looking out the back and sides, as in the past they have appeared behind the hide and also over adjoining fields to the sides.:t:
I hopefully will be there from 4pm

Now your talking - I've not seen one at UW since April 2000. No chance for me until the weekend though - hope it sticks around. I saw the 2000 bird on at least two dates (a Friday and a Saturday as I recall).

I see on Worcesterbirding it was Clive Lee wot saw it. He's now got both 'eared' owls on his UW year list - not an easy thing to do.:t:

Now your talking - I've not seen one at UW since April 2000. No chance for me until the weekend though - hope it sticks around. I saw the 2000 bird on at least two dates (a Friday and a Saturday as I recall).

I see on Worcesterbirding it was Clive Lee wot saw it. He's now got both 'eared' owls on his UW year list - not an easy thing to do.:t:

Hi Dave just got back from upton only me and Ray looking although the rain didn't stop until 4.30ish.
re owls many years ago I saw 3 on consecutive sundays I will try and dig out the dates from my note books. Short eared , long eared and Barn oh the good old days ...all 5 this year then :t:
B :) John

Arrived at 3.40pm today to look for the SE Owl but wet conditions almost surely put pay to that. On the Flashes there is a slight resurgence in overall numbers of most species. Ray had already counted 95 Teal, and 404 Lapwing.
The BHG was back up to about 800 or more, but no large gulls. The snipe were well down but at dark many came out of hiding as they flew out of their roost calling as they went. Two Green Sands came into roost and ducks and geese came into roost and feed including at least 6 shoveler. The Starlings were still roosting in the oaktree reedbed but were diving straight in out of the rain so couldn't do a count. Good numbers of redwing and a song thrush roosted in the hedges.
It was interesting to note that the majority of the teal flock gathered on the new spit in the south west Delta

A Daubenton's bat fed above the water late on.

Over the last 2 days dunlin and redshank have also moved through.

Last edited:
Short-eared Owl - probably the "commonest" bird I havent seen at Upton.

In the last few years they have gone really scarce. Indeed since the 2000 sighting that Dave refered to there had only been two further sightings until today, the latest being at the pony paddock at the Moors Pool in March 2006.

The last time all 5 owl species appeared together in the same year at the reserve was 1992.

Perhaps with the forthcoming cold snap we could add a Snowy or even a Hawk!

Couple of other good birds within spitting distance today - Great White Egret at Upper Bittell, Smew at Westwood and Lapland Bunt on Bredon Hill

Ok then who's gonna be there first light ..I am sure that SE Owl will show:smoke:
Can't be there myself little daughter moving into her new house.8-P

Dave think of that record just 4 away go for it Kid:t:

Advanced warning of work party at the Flashes on Sunday 5th December.

Workload to include:

- Continuing with the scrub management of the area between the Hen Pool and Feeding Station (to regenerate the vegetation at various levels, removing dead wood and stimulating low level growth currently blocked out by tall woody branches / trees; will benefit breeding warblers but also butterflies)
- Complete the preparation of the winter feeding station
- Pruning back the taller growth close to the Tower Hide (to improve sight lines into the nearer channels)
- Removal of the encroaching reedbed in front of the sewage works; hopefully the frost will get to the rhyzomes (to maintain an open shoreline providing quiet feeding areas away from the hide and stop the Flashes becoming too enclosed to the detriment of passage / roosting birds; also removes potential cover mammalian predators)

10am start; light refreshments (squash and biscuits provided). All welcome - please bring gloves and wear old clothes and boots / wellies. Last time we had 19 volunteers; a great turnout which resulted in a really productive day.

Last edited:
This morning's sightings

MOORS POOL
25 Pochard, 9 Tufted Duck, 14 Teal, 12 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon (pair), 8 Mute Swans, 1 Grey Heron, 20 Cormorant, 10 Moorhen, 226 Coot, Water Rail (ran across the causeway), 7 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 3 Snipe, 44 Lapwing, 2 Peregrine Falcons around the mast, Sparrowhawk, Skylark over, Kingfisher, Dunlin over (as per Dave), Rock / Water Pipit flew over the causeway towards the A38 fields (as per Tim - welcome back, knew you couldnt stay away! :-O)

FLASHES
1 Shoveler, 77 Teal, 16 Moorhen, 22 Canada Geese, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Snipe, 420 Lapwing, 18 Collared Dove near Hobden Hall Farm (as per Dave), 7 Siskins (also as per Dave)

Last edited:
Today's drake Mandarin takes my UW year list to 139 - record shot below. A Dunlin was present on the moors pool again today and a reasonable flock of about 18 Redpolls were in the education reserve.

John will probably do a full round up later.

Attachments

• Mandarin UW 211110.jpg
    Mandarin UW 211110.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 94
Today's drake Mandarin takes my UW year list to 139 - record shot below. A Dunlin was present on the moors pool again today and a reasonable flock of about 18 Redpolls were in the education reserve.

John will probably do a full round up later.

Here it is not too much mind.
At the Moors the diving ducks included 19 Pochard and 12 Tufted. Grebes were 7 GCG and 3 Little. 12 shoveler (back into double figures at last) and c20 Teal. In front of the feeding station were at least 3 water rail. A couple of cettis called/sang.
The Flashes roost included 595 Lapwing highest of autumn (is that right Phil?), 21 curlew, c15 snipe and 1 green sand roosted. at least 800 BHG and 2 LBBG roosted. 65 Teal, 30 Mallard and a single shoveler represented the ducks. c100 starlings appeared late on but only a few roosted the rest flew off east.
A singing Cettis and 100+ winter thrushes were around the sewage works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back