• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (100 Viewers)

Bird of the year has got to be the Pectoral Sandpiper. It stayed around for ages performing well and was the first Yankie for ages. Are we being premature in choosing a bird of the year discounting the possible Arctic Redpoll or Gyr Falcon.
What would be everyones predictions for next year. Should we pay up for 2010 prediction if nobody wins it, still a slim chance of my Green winged Teal, Use the money to buy a nestbox then run a new list for 2011?

Last edited:
Just a quick reminder that the Flashes work party is this Sunday, 10am start. Had a look at the weather forecast; should be dry with some sunshire and a temperature of 2oC.

Bird of the year has got to be the Pectoral Sandpiper. It stayed around for ages performing well and was the first Yankie for ages. Are we being premature in choosing a bird of the year discounting the possible Arctic Redpoll or Gyr Falcon.
What would be everyones predictions for next year. Should we pay up for 2010 prediction if nobody wins it, still a slim chance of my Green winged Teal, Use the money to buy a nestbox then run a new list for 2011?

Hi Trev
Its a prediction for the next new bird it would have been good if it went this year (and there is still time). But it is ongoing so if it takes 2,3 or how ever many years it doesn't matter. The last prediction bird took at least 3 years black winged stilt. I seem to remember I won it8-P
So I will collect everyone's money asap and if they want people can have a 2nd bird.
B :)John

Birds of the year for me were the three young LRP fledged on the reserve, marking a successful return for the symbol of Upton Warren as a breeding species

Well said Phil and wouldn't it be superb to get a load of Lapwing chicks off. Who can remember flocks of Lapwing so numerous they took your breath away? I can, just, and this was from 'normal' farmland. Rarities are great but, but a good crop of Lapwing would be very special indeed

... and wouldn't it be superb to get a load of Lapwing chicks off.

Hopefully all the work done at the Moors in clearing the vegetation around Amys Marsh and the Broadmeadow, combined with a spring mowing at the Flashes should mean more luck in 2011 with breeding Lapwings.

Ive reported the colour rung Cetti I saw the other week I guess its a bird thats been seen around but its good to see them surviving the cold. When I was on the BTO site I saw this recovery of an Upton bird in Cheshire. It may have been on the forum at the time but I hadnt seen it before.
15 July 2010
Cetti reaches Cheshire!

While ringing at Rostherne Mere, Cheshire, Malcolm Calvert from South Manchester Ringing Group, was amazed to catch a Cetti's Warbler! This species has been moving steadily north over the past few years but is still considered very scarce in Cheshire.

V297794 was ringed at Upton Warren, Worcestershire as a juvenile female by Wychavon Ringing Group on 18/07/2009 and when Malcolm caught it it had a fully developed brood patch and then on the 2nd July he caught a recently fledged chick. This is a very valuable breeding record for this species for the Bird Atlas. This is the second breeding record for the county!

Ive reported the colour rung Cetti I saw the other week I guess its a bird thats been seen around but its good to see them surviving the cold. When I was on the BTO site I saw this recovery of an Upton bird in Cheshire. It may have been on the forum at the time but I hadnt seen it before.
Trev I did send info on to Ferg still awaiting reply

well if i was to chose between my favorite bird this year at the warren it would be a pritty hard decision, but probs top 4 would read:
1. 2nd summer MED GULL ( simply it was a stunning looking bird, i found it, only 4 birders got to see it:eat: ((( GRIP ALERT)))));):smoke::-O, and its the scarcest plumge to be seen in the midlands, my favorite bird, so a dream find :)
2. Pectoral Sandpiper ( my First American bird :t:, well actually i saw a few in turkey but lets not go there :smoke:)
3. Grey Phalarope ( A nice bird:-O)
4. Red necked Phalarope. (only rates behind grey because i saw another red neck (same bird???) on the same sunday (fathers day) a year previous:eat:)
I Know the question was best bird but i cant narrow it down that far:t:
MB

I think you can guess my favourite bird seen at Upton Warren this year (sorry Craig)! Glad you finally got to see a Spoonbill.

My favourite day's birding at UW has to be that mega last Friday in September when I was fortunate to see the Marsh Harrier, Pectoral Sandpiper and the Bonxie!!! All of them county ticks for me.

The Long-eared Owl hunting over the field behind the Moors Pool at dusk on the 10th May - also a county tick - was another memory to cherish.

I shall be leaving Worcester in the direction of Upton Warren tomorrow morning, dropping in at Warndon villages on the way to hopefully see some Waxwings.

I think you can guess my favourite bird seen at Upton Warren this year (sorry Craig)! Glad you finally got to see a Spoonbill.

My favourite day's birding at UW has to be that mega last Friday in September when I was fortunate to see the Marsh Harrier, Pectoral Sandpiper and the Bonxie!!! All of them county ticks for me.

The Long-eared Owl hunting over the field behind the Moors Pool at dusk on the 10th May - also a county tick - was another memory to cherish.

I shall be leaving Worcester in the direction of Upton Warren tomorrow morning, dropping in at Warndon villages on the way to hopefully see some Waxwings.

Well done Andy - I don't think anyone can argue that they've had a better haul than you this year - a Spoonbill definitely trumps a Bonxie (and pretty much anything else you could hope to see at Upton in any given year). The fact you are one of the very few who saw all three on that memorable friday afternoon is the icing on the cake.

heyandy
you really have had a good year this year :t:
4 birds i am well gripped off about there:-O

oh btw i actually saw spoonbill before the upton flyover when i was in tukey in april, but they only flew along the beech after watching stilts, kentish plover, little stint, Ruppell' warbler and the like :smoke:

btw everybody- waxwings in webbs todayo:D
MB

Spent the afternoon at the Moors today.
First at the east hide counting the wildfowl:
There was a lot of coming and going this afternoon with many ducks flying off such as Shoveler, wigeon, Teal and pochard. Others replaced them so the slight thaw was certainly stirring things up. All numbers refer to minimum numbers at any one time and does account for birds that had flown off.
GCG, Shoveler min 32 - 34 (difficult to get an exact count when they are feeding in their tight rotating circles. Wigeon 7 grazing on the east island. Teal 46, Mallard 80, Pochard 15, Tufted 6, Mute Swan a family arrived 2 adults and 4 juvs probably our birds. The coot flock had declined a little to 197. A single snipe fed below the east hide.

The area in front of the feeding station hide was buzzing. The grassy lawn was thawing allowing 4 water rail to probe in the open totally un-phased by the 22 moorhen feeding alongside them. 10 Reed bunting a pair of Bullfinch and lots of common species were on the feeders. At least 1 cettis called from the sluice area.
350 Wood pigeon roosted in trees behind the east hide. A fieldfare held territory in the crab apple tree and 50+ redwing fed in the hawthorns.

Species also seen by others were Green Sand, a Bittern flew into the southern corner of Amy' marsh possibly even landing in the river salwarp whilst another was seen in the north end of the pool. Also Brambling seen today
Late news for yesterday was of a drake pintail.

Last edited:
Anyone visiting the reserve tomorrow Sunday 5th Dec
please be aware scrub management will be taking place around the hen pool and feeding station at the FLASHES the pools are still frozen so I would suggest you visit the Moors due to the disturbance ..unless you want to come and help that is:t:

Spent the afternoon at the Moors today.
First at the east hide counting the wildfowl:
There was a lot of coming and going this afternoon with many ducks flying off such as Shoveler, wigeon, Teal and pochard. Others replaced them so the slight thaw was certainly stirring things up. All numbers refer to minimum numbers at any one time and does account for birds that had flown off.
GCG, Shoveler min 32 - 34 (difficult to get an exact count when they are feeding in their tight rotating circles. Wigeon 7 grazing on the east island. Teal 46, Mallard 80, Pochard 15, Tufted 6, Mute Swan a family arrived 2 adults and 4 juvs probably our birds. The coot flock had declined a little to 197. A single snipe fed below the east hide.

The area in front of the feeding station hide was buzzing. The grassy lawn was thawing allowing 4 water rail to probe in the open totally un-phased by the 22 moorhen feeding alongside them. 10 Reed bunting a pair of Bullfinch and lots of common species were on the feeders. At least 1 cettis called from the sluice area.
350 Wood pigeon roosted in trees behind the east hide. A fieldfare held territory in the crab apple tree and 50+ redwing fed in the hawthorns.

Species also seen by others were Green Sand, a Bittern flew into the southern corner of Amy' marsh possibly even landing in the river salwarp whilst another was seen in the north end of the pool. Also Brambling seen today
Late news for yesterday was of a drake pintail.

Also 5 Raven over sailing pool early afternon.

Where was the Brambling?

Last edited:
This morning's highlight from my fleeting visit was a brief view of a Tree Sparrow perched on backthorns near the first flash feeding station. This is the first time I've seen this red data species at Upton since 2005. The bird continued to call but didn't show again up to when I left at around 11am. Earlier I had a flyover Sparrow sp. over the second flash which (on reflection) was probably also a Tree Sparrow because, as well as giving metallic chirps also gave a distictive 'Tec, Tec, Tec' call. It would be great if this lovely species could re-establish itself at Upton again.

Top marks to the 13 lads who braved the cold today for the Flashes work party. Yet again we have made great in-roads into our work programme, this time commencing in earnest the scrub management work. This included:

- cutting back the willows and alder between the steps and the Hen Brook bridge (usually done once every 3/4 years to allow light in and encourage both bramble growth and younger, less leggy willow growth.
- removing the line of alders on the bank above the Hen Pool which was in danger of drying the pool out and also providing nesting opportunities and a vanatage point above the reedbed for the likes of crows and magpies.
- clearance of alders and blackthorn along the bank of the Hen Brook between the bridge and its convulence with the Flashes overflow channel. Again much of the growth here was taller and leggy with little light getting to the ground (as demostrated by the lack of undergrowth).

Whilst appearing severe and draconian, the very obvious results that you see the next time you visit the Flashes are all part of the strategy to maintaing the reserve's bio-diversity and providing a range of differing habitats for passage and breeding birds. The encouragement of bramble growth and fresh young growth will aid Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Blackcap whilst Sedge Warblers will also take advantage. Brambles bring with them a multitude of insects (especially butterflies) whilst the cleared strips either side of the Hen Brook can only be of benfeit to any potential colonising Water Voles.

The investment in new, top of the range tools (particularly saws) has also had marked results with an ability to now tackle trees that previously could only be considered manageable with a chain saw. These new saws are much more comfortable and effective than our traditional bow saws and are also far less tiring to use, enabling much more work to be undertaken. The positive circle of management work bringing in more birds which brings in more birdwatchers which brings in more permit monies which allows greater investment in tools which enables more management work to be undertaken etc etc is now complete.

On a birding front Dave's Tree Sparrow wasnt seen again although I did hear it call. The work party inadvertantly flushed a Bittern from the Hen Pool (so there may be three birds on the reserve). A mid-morning tea-break from the tree pruning did result in the observation of a lot of activity around the Feeding Station - 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, a flock of c45 Linnets, 2 Snipe, many tits and finches, good numbers of Redwing in the hedge and a male Brambling.

Later in the day another reserve record of Greylag Geese was set (27) whilst at dusk large numbers of birds were roosting on the ice of the Sailing Pool including around 100 Mallard, 300+ BH Gulls and most interestingly, at least 100 Herring Gulls (but only a handful of LBB Gulls).

At the Moors Pool first thing there were 11 Pochard, 6 Tufted Duck, 1 GC Grebe, 7 Teal, 19 Shoveler, 204 Coot, 30 Canada Geese, a Water Rail in fronting of the East Hide, around 5 Siskins at the rear of the West Hide and several Meadow Pipit over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back