• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (117 Viewers)

Yesterday's Greenshank took the August list to 94 species at the half-way point of the month. Potential additions for the second part of August include (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Pochard, Wigeon, Shelduck, Mandarin, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Osprey, Oystercatcher, Ruff, Little Stint, Curlew Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Sandwich Tern, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Little Gull, all owls, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Tree Pipit, Stonechat, Whinchat, Spotted Flycatcher, Nuthatch, House Sparrow, Siskin, Redpoll, Yellowhammer

I am not sure I understand the logic of moving the cattle from the Flashes to the Moors Pool after the end of the breeding season with several weeks of growth still remaining for the phragmites and grassland.

Spoke to Andy H..Tuesday it was done by the grazier in anticipation of phragmites spraying at Flashes . Not sure when that will be done but September is earmarked.

If anyone's going to the Bird Fair I have a taxi booked from Oakham Rail station at 07.45am to Egleton if anyone wants to share then just drop me a message (train from new street at 06.18am to Stanstead airport)

It will be interesting to see if a note has been put up in the Flashes today about work being done next week. Reserve Manager was around. That is Monday 21st and Friday 25th August. It is of course weather dependant. For more information please read the WWT Upton Warren page.
I make no comment. I am just bringing it to peoples' attention.

Phil

It will be interesting to see if a note has been put up in the Flashes today about work being done next week. Reserve Manager was around. That is Monday 21st and Friday 25th August. It is of course weather dependant. For more information please read the WWT Upton Warren page.

Phil

"Mon 21 & Fri 25 Aug 2017 Monitoring of aquatic invertebrates will be undertaken at the Flashes to help reveal what the birds are feeding on and help us understand the ecology of this unique site. To be effective the work can only be done at this time. The work is weather dependent; we cannot guarantee the work days. Botanical survey work will also be undertaken soon. We apologise for any inconvenience if your viewing is disrupted. Please do visit the other half of the reserve, The Moors pools."

Guess which mug booked Monday off on leave to bird the reserve ...:-C

Phil
I am trying to find out the times of the surveys.
These are invertebrate surveys to ascertain where, how many and what species are present.
This will then be repeated next year after the Flashes work has been carried out . This will hopefully tell us if the work has had any affect positive or negative on the invertebrates .
Let you know as soon as I do. :t:

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Wood Sand-------------------Dunlin
Green Sand (4)--------------Common Sand (3)
Snipe (1)---------------------Avocet (ad + juv)
Curlew (12)------------------Lapwing (115)
Teal (24)---------------------Shoveler (1)
Sparrowhawk----------------Rook (22) in NE field.
Raven------------------------Starling (c200) also in NE field.
Lesser Whitethroat----------Goldcrest

MOORS:
Green Sand------------------Black-T-Godwit (3). Also seen briefly at the Flashes mid-morning and this evening.
Lapwing (53)----------------Greenshank. Flew south from the Broadmeadow Pool.
Gadwall (5)------------------Teal (5)
Shoveler (3)-----------------Little Egret. Probably the same bird that flew over the Flashes.
Water Rail (ad + juv)-------Swift (15)
Little Grebe (20)------------Greylag Goose (47)
Sparrowhawk----------------Raven
Mute Swan (10)-------------Cormorant (2)
Goldcrest---------------------Treecreeper along west track (RWP)

SAILING POOL:
G C Grebe (ad + juv)--------Common Tern (ad + juv)

Des.

Water Rail

Can't speak for the juvenile but this one was seen along the shore of the East Hide about 3.30pm this afternoon . Disappeared onto Snipe Island.
The three godwit appeared from hiding on the Moors shortly before feeding in the pool on Pool Island. Then moved across to feed behind Snipe Island.
Phil

Attachments

• DSCN0322.JPG
    DSCN0322.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 79
"Mon 21 & Fri 25 Aug 2017 Monitoring of aquatic invertebrates will be undertaken at the Flashes to help reveal what the birds are feeding on and help us understand the ecology of this unique site. To be effective the work can only be done at this time. The work is weather dependent; we cannot guarantee the work days. Botanical survey work will also be undertaken soon. We apologise for any inconvenience if your viewing is disrupted. Please do visit the other half of the reserve, The Moors pools."

Guess which mug booked Monday off on leave to bird the reserve ...:-C

Best hope it rains then!

I've e-mailed the Trust to request that no visits are made in the week, or at least 2-3 days, prior to the all-dayer on Saturday 2nd. I'll update on here and Twitter with any response I receive.

Sue also reports the return of Black-headed Gull with white 2K44 on its right leg.

This bird was first noted at Upton Warren on the 27th July 2009 and again on the 5th August 2009 and then at the Flashes on the 16th and 23rd July 2011; it originated from the Cotswold Water Park ringing programme.

Best hope it rains then!

I've e-mailed the Trust to request that no visits are made in the week, or at least 2-3 days, prior to the all-dayer on Saturday 2nd. I'll update on here and Twitter with any response I receive.
Have just received reply from the TRUST there will be no surveys the week leading up to the
all-dayer.
I have no precise details of the invertebrates survey on Monday 21st August and Friday 25th August other than early morning which I assume will be 9ish...Andy Harris will let me know asap. So to the 'early boys' on those days Flashes first:t:

Last edited:
Have just received reply from the TRUST there will be no surveys the week leading up to the
all-dayer.
I have no precise details of the invertebrates survey on Monday 21st August and Friday 25th August other than early morning which I assume will be 9ish...Andy Harris will let me know asap. So to the 'early boys' on those days Flashes first:t:

Cheers John - it will be an early(ish) start for me on Monday then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back