• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (121 Viewers)

Found at Moors

If anyone has lost anything today at the Moors please let me or any other wardens know what it was and we will endeavour toreunite you with it... 👍😉

SAILING centre Cafe opening times

Over the Christmas and New Year period the cafe and SAILING centre car park is closed on Christmas DAY. Boxing Day and New year's day. On New Years eve the cafe / SAILING pool will be closed at 2pm . On all other days it is open at 10am and closed at 4 pm. This means that unless we can get wardens on site .. ensure that your car is not left inside the SAILING centre outside of these times.:t: john

Reports later today from Neil Duggan and Matt Smith:

MOORS POOL
21 Mute Swan, Whooper Swan, male Wigeon, 30+ Shoveler, 180 Coot, 10 Curlew, 100+ BH Gull, 2 Little Egret, Cetti’s Warbler, c50 Cormorant, c50 Teal, Skylark, Redpoll, Peregrine in A38 field

SAILING POOL
25 Tufted Duck

Hi All just a quick note to say many thanks to the volunteers and Warden's at Upton.

Merry Xmas

Also quick question as WWLM do we get access to Midland Bird Club patches ??

Andy P reports from the Moors Pool:

Whooper Swan, 17 Mute Swan, 34 Teal, 32 Shoveler, 18 Pochard, Gadwall, 2 Little Grebe, 15 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 10 Curlew, 4 Snipe.

Last edited:
Hi All just a quick note to say many thanks to the volunteers and Warden's at Upton.

Merry Xmas

Also quick question as WWLM do we get access to Midland Bird Club patches ??

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust has reciprocal arrangements with all the other Wildlife Trusts with the exception to Norfolk. There are no reciprocal arrangements with any other nature organisation at any grade of membership.

Likewise I am not aware of the West Midland Bird Club having arrangements with any other nature body.

WMBC members are presently permitted free access to the Moors Pool only in recognition of their contribution to the memorial plaque to Arthur Jacobs in the West Hide although I suspect the three years this arrangement was to run is up shortly?

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust has reciprocal arrangements with all the other Wildlife Trusts with the exception to Norfolk. There are no reciprocal arrangements with any other nature organisation at any grade of membership.

Likewise I am not aware of the West Midland Bird Club having arrangements with any other nature body.

WMBC members are presently permitted free access to the Moors Pool only in recognition of their contribution to the memorial plaque to Arthur Jacobs in the West Hide although I suspect the three years this arrangement was to run is up shortly?

As far as I remember Phil the arrangementbwith the WET and West Miss Bird Club ends on 31st December 2017.

As far as I remember Phil the arrangementbwith the WET and West Miss Bird Club ends on 31st December 2017.

As per the Trust website:

"In recognition of the contribution of West Midlands Bird Club members to Arthur Jacobs memorial, card-carrying members have free access to The Moors pools only until 2017."

Grey Partridge

Further to Andy and Phil's sighting of a Grey Partridge (of unknown origin) in the A38 fields last Monday, here are the most recent sightings and how they were attributed at the time:-

2012 - one was in the A38 fields on the 13th April. The annual report stated at the time that there was no captive breeding at Lifestyles and this was therefore recorded as a wild bird
2006 - two birds noted in the Moors Pool car park were treated as escapees from the Lifestyles breeding programme
2003 - two records from the Flashes: one bird on the 19th March with two then on the 18th July
2000 - two birds flew out of the south west marsh at the Moors Pool on the 2nd July
1996 - a pair were on the adjacent Shaw's Farm on the 3rd March
1992 - a single was at the Flashes on the 14th June
1990 - a family party was noted in the paddock at the Moors Pool on the 17th June with a further record of a single bird on the 6th October
1988 - noted in three months, with a covey of between 15 and 20 birds observed on the 28th October
1987 - two birds were present on the 27th November
1986 - recorded in two months, including a family party of 15 taking a drink at the Flashes on the 9th October
1985 - singles reported on the 18th June and again the following day
1984 - "small numbers seen"

The species is belieeved to have been a common breeder in the 1960s but the decrease in numbers was already underway in the early 1970s with the West Midland Bird Club’s 1972 annual report describing Grey Partridge as “unusual around Upton Warren”.

Last edited:
Woodcock

Following the Lewis' record of three birds on the 11th December followed by Andy A's potential sighting ten days later (both from the Salwarpe / south west side of the Moors Pool), here is a couple of charts of the species' performance since 1984:

Attachments

• Woodcock 1.jpg
    Woodcock 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Woodcock distribution.jpg
    Woodcock distribution.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 22
With just five days of the year left the December list stands on 81 species, currently the joint lowest ever monthly total for reserve, whilst the year list stands on 145 species (I have excluded the Grey Partridge from both totals). Possible additions for the remainder of the year include (year ticks in bold):

Pintail, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Bittern, Red Kite, Merlin, Jack Snipe, Redshank, GBBG Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Nuthatch, Brambling, Mealy Redpoll, Yellowhammer

Hi all

Could do with some weather help! We are staying in the caravan near Uxbridge and ideally need to come back to Beoley, near Reddich, tomorrow as it is where we store the van. We are off to the parents in Cheshire on Friday.

Could anyone let me know how the snow is in the area? Bit worried about the journey :(

This morning on the reserve as per Phil W:

FLASHES
Hen Brook flooded.
Lapwing 200, Snipe 2, Wigeon 2 (pair), Gadwall 1, Teal 20.

MOORS POOL
Whooper Swan, Mute Swan 12, Gadwall 3, Shovelers 22, Curlews 10, Teal 25, Pochard, Kestrel.

With just five days of the year left the December list stands on 81 species, currently the joint lowest ever monthly total for reserve, whilst the year list stands on 145 species (I have excluded the Grey Partridge from both totals). Possible additions for the remainder of the year include (year ticks in bold):

Pintail, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Bittern, Red Kite, Merlin, Jack Snipe, Redshank, GBBG Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Wagtail, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Nuthatch, Brambling, Mealy Redpoll, Yellowhammer

Had Grey Wag on the 24th December old chap

A visit to the new and east hides earlier produced the following species:

Mute Swan, Whooper Swan, Canada Goose, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Cormorant, Sparrowhawk, Curlew, Black-Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Goldfinch, Chaffinch and Greenfinch.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back