• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (121 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

MOORS/N MOORS*
Whooper Swan-------------------Shelduck(3)
Teal (57)----------------------------Shoveler (27)
Gadwall (11)------------------------Pochard (18)
Tufted Duck(19)--------------------Curlew (9). The same nine birds moved to the Flashes later.
Snipe (1)!---------------------------Little Egret (1)
Little Grebe (2)---------------------Water Rail (1)
Coot (33)---------------------------Mute Swan (2)*
Fieldfare (1)------------------------Redpoll (14). Opposite Lifestyles.
Cetti's Warbler (1)-----------------Cormorant (34)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*/ED RES**
Lapwing (c650)---------------------Barn Owl. In front of the hide flying north at 17.14.
B H Gull (c250)---------------------Herring Gull (1)
L B B Gull (2)-----------------------G C Grebe (7)*
Coot (32)*--------------------------Sparrowhawk
Water Rail**------------------------Greylag Goose (39). In northern field.

Des.

First Oystercatcher of the year - bird #82 - at the Moors Pool this morning as per Bob O.

Can't think of many January records of Oyks.

Andy P further reports from the Flashes:

Oystercatcher from the Moors Pool, c750 Lapwing, 9 Curlew, Snipe, 31 Teal, 160 Canada Geese, 23 Greylags, c30 Redwing, Peregrine, Cetti's Warbler, Treecreeper.

Alan H reports the Whooper Swan back at the Moors Pool.

Quick visit to the flashes this afternoon bathed in some nice sunlight. Lots of Lapwing, 1 Oyster Catcher and 1 nice Snipe close to hide on lefthand side. Distant view of about 10 curlew in Green field .

Walking back along broad walk towards where it ends by large pine tree spotted gold crest and small group of long tail tits.

Nice chat with Dave and Alan fellow birders.

Fantastic Day

I'm typing this to the accompaniment of Haircut 100's 'feel good' tune from the '80s. Today at Upton Warren was indeed a Fantastic Day. the best day of 2018 so far!

It started off with the Whooper Swan, which flew south through the Flashes with a Mute Swan. I thought this may be the last we were going to see of this long-staying resident. However, true to form, it resurfaced at the Moors Pool just over an hour later. News then emerged from the Moors Pool of the years first Oystercatcher. I didn't rush over, reasoning that it would probably hang around or, if not, I would surely see one soon anyway!

My first UW year tick came after the early morning drizzle had been replaced by blue sky and sunshine, when the unmistakable shape of a Peregrine appeared on the northernmost large transmitter masts. A quick scan with the scope confirmed the
Identity. As I walked on further down the track day ticks transpired in the shape of Dunnock, Stock Dove, Bullfinch, Great Tit, Goldcrest and the obliging Cetti's Warbler giving its contact call and showing well just above the Hen Brook near the bridge. Retracing my steps I heard the song of a Treecreeper, which I saw in a tree near the Hen Brook Hide before it flew to the tree to the immediate southern side of the bridge. Back at the hide an Oystercatcher, probably the one that had been at the Moors Pool earlier appeared on one of the islands.

Earlier in the morning I had counted c750 Lapwing at the Flashes; 9 Curlew were there first thing before flying out and Phil Wood found the only Snipe of the morning (there were 5 present later in the day). Teal numbered 31, Coot 30; 160 Canada Geese & 23 Greylags grazed in the field behind the first flash and c30 Redwing were in the fields to the south and west of the hide. In addition the Sailing Pool held 9 Great-crested Grebe, a Little Grebe, 12 Tufted Duck and a handful of Cormorant.

After a spot of lunch overlooking the Sailing Pool, with only an overflying LBBG added to my day list, I headed towards the East Hide at the Moors Pool. On the way there I added a Shelduck on the North Moors Pool and Song Thrush to the day list. Shoveler, Pochard & Gadwall were all logged from the East Hide. A squealing Water Rail & Chaffinch were added from the North Moors Hide, and Greenfinch, Reed Bunting & Great Spotted Woodpecker were seen on the feeding stations in front of the hides down the west track. Strangely, finch numbers were few, with no Lesser Redpoll, Siskin and just 2 Goldfinch seen. The only Linnet of the day was at the Flashes mid-morning. A short stroll along the Salwarpe brought me my 4th UW year tick when 2 Rook flew south over the field between the river and the A38. Back at the Jacobs Hide a Little Egret was sighted as it flew in from the south and landed near the Sand Martin box.

I ended the day at the Flashes, where a few of us congregated in the main hide hoping to see the Barn Owl. The next addition to the day list was a Green Woodpecker, which was picked up by Regor as it flew into the oak tree opposite. Then came the 'champagne moment' of the day when a bird in amongst the BHGs in front of the sewage works was spotted and tentatively identified as a Common Gull. On closer examination the bird showed features more associated with an adult winter Kittiwake: a plain yellow bill with no trace of a black band, and 2 dark vertical lines behind the dark eyes. The legs appeared small and when the bird rose from a seated position were of a dark hue. Finally, when the bird flew after being spooked, it revealed the 'dipped in ink' primaries which are a key diagnostic feature of this species. It did eventually come back to earth on the newly created mound in front of the first flash reed bed.

Meanwhile at around 4.50pm the Barn Owl appeared from the southern end of the flash and flew north before disappearing somewhere near the Cuckoo Hide. It's not often that this magnificent and graceful creature plays the supporting role but I'm afraid on this occasion in my mind it certainly did. This was only the 3rd Kittiwake I've seen at Upton Warren in 14 years of visiting the reserve, and the first I'd seen since April 2013. I also can't recall seeing an adult in winter plumage anywhere before!

The final treat of the day came well past 5pm when a Green Sandpiper flew in calling. This took my day list up to 59 species, with 5 UW year ticks. I searched frantically in the gathering gloom for a Herring Gull or maybe even a Yellow-legged Gull to take my tally up to 60 birds for the day but, alas, there were just 4 large gulls in the roost and they were all LBBGs!

Anyway who cares. It was a fantastic day. I wonder if Nick Hayward was a birder?;):t:B :)

Last edited:
Whooper Swan, Oystercatcher, 3 Shelduk and 3 Wigeon (2 males, 1 female) at the Moors Pool as per Lloyd E.

The female American Wigeon from Grimley must have gone somewhere....

Last edited:
Unwelcome sighting at the Flashes

I went into the empty Avocet hide at 11.50 today, sat down and found myself looking straight at a fox in very good condition hunting on the Flashes not 5 yards from the hide. When I opened the viewing window it trotted off to the left. Clearly it has breached the fence somewhere.

Apart from the hundreds of lapwing there was a single snipe close to the hide on the left-hand side.

I went into the empty Avocet hide at 11.50 today, sat down and found myself looking straight at a fox in very good condition hunting on the Flashes not 5 yards from the hide. When I opened the viewing window it trotted off to the left. Clearly it has breached the fence somewhere.

Apart from the hundreds of lapwing there was a single snipe close to the hide on the left-hand side.
We spotted the Fox on the Tueday workparty and also found a large hole in the fence left of the hide. We couldn't patch the hole as we'd of trapped the Fox inside.The plan is to flush it next Tuesday and repair the fence. Hopefully the Fox will co-operate!:t::t:

Thanks for that we had seen one last Tuesday and also found the hole to the left of the hide. Did you see it go outside the fence afterwards . :t: john

I'm typing this to the accompaniment of Haircut 100's 'feel good' tune from the '80s. Today at Upton Warren was indeed a Fantastic Day. the best day of 2018 so far!

It started off with the Whooper Swan, which flew south through the Flashes with a Mute Swan. I thought this may be the last we were going to see of this long-staying resident. However, true to form, it resurfaced at the Moors Pool just over an hour later. News then emerged from the Moors Pool of the years first Oystercatcher. I didn't rush over, reasoning that it would probably hang around or, if not, I would surely see one soon anyway!

My first UW year tick came after the early morning drizzle had been replaced by blue sky and sunshine, when the unmistakable shape of a Peregrine appeared on the northernmost large transmitter masts. A quick scan with the scope confirmed the
Identity. As I walked on further down the track day ticks transpired in the shape of Dunnock, Stock Dove, Bullfinch, Great Tit, Goldcrest and the obliging Cetti's Warbler giving its contact call and showing well just above the Hen Brook near the bridge. Retracing my steps I heard the song of a Treecreeper, which I saw in a tree near the Hen Brook Hide before it flew to the tree to the immediate southern side of the bridge. Back at the hide an Oystercatcher, probably the one that had been at the Moors Pool earlier appeared on one of the islands.

Earlier in the morning I had counted c750 Lapwing at the Flashes; 9 Curlew were there first thing before flying out and Phil Wood found the only Snipe of the morning (there were 5 present later in the day). Teal numbered 31, Coot 30; 160 Canada Geese & 23 Greylags grazed in the field behind the first flash and c30 Redwing were in the fields to the south and west of the hide. In addition the Sailing Pool held 9 Great-crested Grebe, a Little Grebe, 12 Tufted Duck and a handful of Cormorant.

After a spot of lunch overlooking the Sailing Pool, with only an overflying LBBG added to my day list, I headed towards the East Hide at the Moors Pool. On the way there I added a Shelduck on the North Moors Pool and Song Thrush to the day list. Shoveler, Pochard & Gadwall were all logged from the East Hide. A squealing Water Rail & Chaffinch were added from the North Moors Hide, and Greenfinch, Reed Bunting & Great Spotted Woodpecker were seen on the feeding stations in front of the hides down the west track. Strangely, finch numbers were few, with no Lesser Redpoll, Siskin and just 2 Goldfinch seen. The only Linnet of the day was at the Flashes mid-morning. A short stroll along the Salwarpe brought me my 4th UW year tick when 2 Rook flew south over the field between the river and the A38. Back at the Jacobs Hide a Little Egret was sighted as it flew in from the south and landed near the Sand Martin box.

I ended the day at the Flashes, where a few of us congregated in the main hide hoping to see the Barn Owl. The next addition to the day list was a Green Woodpecker, which was picked up by Regor as it flew into the oak tree opposite. Then came the 'champagne moment' of the day when a bird in amongst the BHGs in front of the sewage works was spotted and tentatively identified as a Common Gull. On closer examination the bird showed features more associated with an adult winter Kittiwake: a plain yellow bill with no trace of a black band, and 2 dark vertical lines behind the dark eyes. The legs appeared small and when the bird rose from a seated position were of a dark hue. Finally, when the bird flew after being spooked, it revealed the 'dipped in ink' primaries which are a key diagnostic feature of this species. It did eventually come back to earth on the newly created mound in front of the first flash reed bed.

Meanwhile at around 4.50pm the Barn Owl appeared from the southern end of the flash and flew north before disappearing somewhere near the Cuckoo Hide. It's not often that this magnificent and graceful creature plays the supporting role but I'm afraid on this occasion in my mind it certainly did. This was only the 3rd Kittiwake I've seen at Upton Warren in 14 years of visiting the reserve, and the first I'd seen since April 2013. I also can't recall seeing an adult in winter plumage anywhere before!

The final treat of the day came well past 5pm when a Green Sandpiper flew in calling. This took my day list up to 59 species, with 5 UW year ticks. I searched frantically in the gathering gloom for a Herring Gull or maybe even a Yellow-legged Gull to take my tally up to 60 birds for the day but, alas, there were just 4 large gulls in the roost and they were all LBBGs!

Anyway who cares. It was a fantastic day. I wonder if Nick Hayward was a birder?;):t:B :)

Superb read Andy.... I feel that everytime I go to Upton.. well nearly everytime 8-P:smoke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back