• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

January finished with a whimper with a total of 82 species, narrowly avoiding the embarrassment of the lowest every monthly total (81). On the flip side it does give plenty of scope for additions in February - potential year ticks include:

Whooper Swan, Pintail, Merlin, Avocet, Redshank, Woodcock, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, GBB Gull, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Stonechat, Blackcap, Nuthatch, Siskin, Brambling, Yellowhammer

Just after most people left the east Hide in the afternoon - except me - I was rewarded with at least a seven curlew flyby against a blue sky. There may have been two slower ones as well but seven landed on Pool Island. Impressive.

Snipe came and went . One appeared in front of the hide but most seemed to hang out on Pool Island or the new spit of land further back. Against the mud and in the light of this afternoon you had to look hard. The camouflage was really good.

2LBBG, 1 Herring Gull; at least 10 cormorants including 2 elder statesman in breeding plumage; 1male tufted that I saw and a pair of mute swans.
3 gadwall (a male and 2 females); a noticeable number of pochard which kept diving every time I tried to count them and a very large number of shoveller all going round in their collective feeding circle.

All the BHGs were gathered together on the ice along the three larger gulls and a couple of coots. A noticeable collection of mallards also including a smeg duck version.

A little egret sat in the northern right hand corner in its usual spot. A couple of herons including one which landed in front of the East Hide and stayed there. 4 greylags on Pool Island until they went off for a swim.

The water at the southern end of the Moors Pool had some ice but a lot of water; the northern end was largely frozen with the curious exception of an unfrozen
patch close to the shore on the East Track side.

The North Moors Pool was frozen over except for a small patch between the islands in front of the hide. Only inhabitants were two squabbling moorhen which flew out from the bushes by the feeders and continued their fight on the ice.

The bird feeders in the North Moors were overflowing with blue tits ; also saw 3three great tits;2 male bullfinch ; one "young" chaffinch which couldn't quite bring itself to visit the feeders and there were three long tailed tits and finally a coal tit.
In the winter light the colours of all the birds were amazing but the most outstanding was the robin- shining like a beacon .
Couple of magpies shared the ground with two squirrels so it looks like the proofing works. Taken by how orangey the tops of the grey squirrels were.

All in all worth braving the cold.

One note - the 2018 record book is damp as well as full and the back pages record some 2019 info. Couldn't see a 2019 one.

A 1983 bird list I have for Upton Warren issued by the then WNCT shows the cormorant as a passage migrant - how times change.

Phil E Since it is now after midnight this refers to Sat 2nd Feb.

One note - the 2018 record book is damp as well as full and the back pages record some 2019 info. Couldn't see a 2019 one.

John - could you rescue this for me please (and any others for 2018); have yet to go through them

Phil E - some Cormorant stats coming up later

Last edited:
A little egret sat in the northern right hand corner in its usual spot.

The bird feeders in the North Moors were overflowing with blue tits ; also saw 3three great tits;2 male bullfinch ; one "young" chaffinch which couldn't quite bring itself to visit the feeders and there were three long tailed tits and finally a coal tit.
In the winter light the colours of all the birds were amazing but the most outstanding was the robin- shining like a beacon

I think I was the penultimate person to leave the east hide: very cold in the north-west wind!

Two further Little Egrets flew north on the far side if the A38 & appeared to come down in the field behind the two houses opposite the entrance track to the car park.

The only addition to the species count on the N.Moors were three male Pheasants that appeared from the longer grass and fed there for a while before venturing to the feeders.

Scope views of the concrete hide feeders from the east hide showed 6+ Greenfinches & a couple of Reed Buntings in addition to the numerous Blue & Great Tits.

Cormorant City

From yesterday from the East Hide.

Thanks Phil - will be interesting to see the statistics. If I can get my brain in gear will try to put list of 1983 on here. Also have a list for the county of the same time generally.

Apologies to anyone I may not have acknowledged by name or even put a name to the face. I shall look up the pic of people from an old Alldayer and try to refresh my memory. Of course there are new people.

I recognised the face of the person who came into the hide when I was on my own, but only put a name to you afterwards. If it was AB then I am okay.
If it wasn't then...……..

Perspective makes the island and shore look odd. The birds on the water are level!

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN95451.jpg
    DSCN95451.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • King-of-the-Isle.jpg
    King-of-the-Isle.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
In no particular order

1. The open patch of water in the midst of the ice. One little egret hunkered down in the background.
2. Seven curlew in flight. There were a couple more but they were detached from the main group. An impressive sight .
3. Turf wars on the N.Moors feeders!
4. Coal tit and friend living together more amicably.
5. And lastly the gullery on ice.

Phil E

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 47
This document - 2sided- was issued in 1983 to me by the then WNCT as a member.

It should be noted that it says " since the establishment of the reserve."
There are notes B= "bred" since 1968;two lists of things recorded since 1973 and 1978 etc.

Of the cormorants - oops- should have read in my post V=occasional vagrant NOT passage migrant.

Phil E

Attachments

• UW List 1 1983.pdf
    509.1 KB · Views: 26
  • UW List 2 1983.pdf
    569.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Worcestershire Bird List issued 1988

This list appeared in the pamphlet Worcestershire Wildlife Week 7th to 15th May 1988 issued by the then WNCT. This is for Worcestershire as a whole!

List is broken up from fairly numerous to very scarce then followed by vagrants.

The changes are quite interesting.

Phil E

Attachments

• Worccestershire Bird List issued 1988.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

There are notes B= "bred" since 1968;two lists of things recorded since 1973 and 1978 etc.

Of the cormorants - oops- should have read in my post V=occasional vagrant NOT passage migrant.

Phil E

I remember this list, think mine was mislaid over the years.

I'd love Bearded Tit to be a winter resident!

Interesting updates on species names, e.g. Heron/Grey Heron (although I only used the latter after I'd seen Purple Heron 😉), Scota (sic)/ Common Scoter. Although some of these may be due to Trust interpretation as I've never been aware of Sparrow-hawk.

This list appeared in the pamphlet Worcestershire Wildlife Week 7th to 15th May 1988 issued by the then WNCT. This is for Worcestershire as a whole!

List is broken up from fairly numerous to very scarce then followed by vagrants.

The changes are quite interesting.

Phil E

Hi Phil - is there another page to tbis county list showing the 'abundant' species?

John - could you rescue this for me please (and any others for 2018); have yet to go through them

Phil E - some Cormorant stats coming up later

I have replaced the two main log books at East hide Moors and Avocet hide FLASHES.
I will be replacing the North Moors and West hide log books on Tuesday .I have got two of the log books and will remove 2018 books also on Tuesday for safe keeping. :t:

WORK PARTY this TUESDAY 5th January Moors

We will be tackling a few jobs along the West side of the Moors. Including Opening up the viewing screens along tje west track and finishing off the SW pollards.
Please meet at the Car Park 8.45am
Also of note Julie is making us a cake..1st Tuesday of the month :t: john

In no particular order

1. The open patch of water in the midst of the ice. One little egret hunkered down in the background.
2. Seven curlew in flight. There were a couple more but they were detached from the main group. An impressive sight .
3. Turf wars on the N.Moors feeders!
4. Coal tit and friend living together more amicably.
5. And lastly the gullery on ice.

Phil E

Presumably that is just a Lesser Black-backed Gull at the rear of 5. - it looks huge (bigger than the Herring Gull that its standing behind)?

Phil E

Presumably "Storm Petrel" is a mistake and should read Leach's Petrel??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back