• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (123 Viewers)

I am aiming to make another early start tomorrow, although I am currently enjoying a pint of Front Street brewery's Old Sid - a Winter Ale which has an alcohol content of 10.2%. Front Street brewery is based at the Chequers at Binham, Norfolk and I acquired the bottled liquor described above when I revisited Branthill Farm, which provides the barley used in many of the finest ales brewed in that wonderful bird rich county and sells the finished product in the shop on site.

Talking of proper beer reminds me that I haven't bumped into Gert recently. Hope to see you at Upton tomorrow fellow real ale quaffer.

The beer is drunk, and so am I!B :)B :):gn:

Not too early by the sounds of it Andy:smoke:
take it easy mate and no stringing with all those brain cells you've just destroyed, your judgement may be somewhat skewed :-O

Today's RNP is the seventh record for the reserve and the fourth in five years; Upton clearly is THE inland hot-spot for this enagmatic little wader.

Today's RNP is the seventh record for the reserve and the fourth in five years; Upton clearly is THE inland hot-spot for this enagmatic little wader.

It's fair to say that it is THE phalarope capital of Britain! There cannot be another single patch of water, size for size, that has hosted so many individuals of all three species.

Brian

It's fair to say that it is THE phalarope capital of Britain! There cannot be another single patch of water, size for size, that has hosted so many individuals of all three species.

Brian

Couldn't have put it better - and here is my record shot. Hopefully it will get a bit closer and the light will improve later. Cheers Gary for the call.

Attachments

• RN Phal Flashes 280511.jpg
    RN Phal Flashes 280511.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 114
I am aiming to make another early start tomorrow, although I am currently enjoying a pint of Front Street brewery's Old Sid - a Winter Ale which has an alcohol content of 10.2%. Front Street brewery is based at the Chequers at Binham, Norfolk and I acquired the bottled liquor described above when I revisited Branthill Farm, which provides the barley used in many of the finest ales brewed in that wonderful bird rich county and sells the finished product in the shop on site.

Talking of proper beer reminds me that I haven't bumped into Gert recently. Hope to see you at Upton tomorrow fellow real ale quaffer.

The beer is drunk, and so am I!B :)B :):gn:[/QUOTE]

Nice one Andy - had half a pint of 'Last Rites' recently at 11% - silly strength really but lovely none the less. Will be celebrating the Phal with an ale or 2 tonight - I'm thinking Mad Goose.. and then back to the Warren in the
morningB :)
In the meantime here's another dodgy photo of the Phal this morning - just getting them in before we get a Bob special pic:t:

Attachments

• P1020303.jpg
    P1020303.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Just got back from a session at the Flashes with the Mrs.
Gary arrived at 9pm for his nightly vigil so if you are doing an early one tomorrow be warned not a pretty sight at 5am:-O

B :)John

Actually Gaz, since finding that Phal, all of a sudden you don't look too bad mate :kiss: :t:

Last edited:
What a great bird, absolutely mint and another lifer courtesy of the Warren:t:

A young little grebe was showing on the Moors around 2pm
See yall tomoz :t: ( or sooner if needs be 8-P )

Red-necked Phalarope is the 142nd species recorded at Upton Warren in 2011.

Other sightings today consist of:

FLASHES
2 Gadwall, 9 LRP + 2 chicks, 6 Lapwing + 1 chick, 10 Avocet + 18 chicks, male White Wagtail (with damaged wing), 8 Tufted D, 1 Dunlin, Cuckoo, 16 Greylag Geese over.

MOORS
1 Grey Heron, 3 Cormorant, 3 Gadwall, 6 Common Tern, 2 Lapwing, 2 Little Grebe + 1 young, 15 GC Grebe + 4 young, 3 Oyk + 2 young, 23 Tufted D

A Willow Warbler with a BTO ring on its leg was on the east side of the moors this evening feeding near the cleared area by the gate. Good to know there's still one or two hanging around. It wasn't singing though.

As there was a lot of talk today in the hide re previous records of Red-necked Phalarope, the details are as follows:-

8th July 1972 - female on the Moors Pool
6th-7th June 1989 - female on the Flashes
25th May 1999 - female on the Flashes
16th June 2007 - female on the Flashes
21st June 2009 - female (poss first summer bird) on the Flashes
20th June 2010 - female on the Flashes
28th May 2011 - female on the Flashes

Given the dates the previous three occurences were reported there is a chance we could get a second bird in June.

Since June 2007 Upton has now recorded 8 phalaropes (4 Red-necked, 1 Wilson's and 3 Grey)

A Willow Warbler with a BTO ring on its leg was on the east side of the moors this evening feeding near the cleared area by the gate. Good to know there's still one or two hanging around. It wasn't singing though.

I'm pretty sure Ferg trapped one in April, so maybe the same one.

Last edited:
Bob Hart's Photos

I think Bob has produced the definitive images of this bird - especially the in-flight photo, below:

Once again, nice one Bob!

Attachments

• _DSC2483_  in flight no 2.jpg
    _DSC2483_ in flight no 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 138
  • _DSC2407_  no 3.jpg
    _DSC2407_ no 3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back