• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (90 Viewers)

Little Ringed Plover

LRPs are the traditional vanguard of spring migration at Upton Warren. With records over 33 springs, the average return date is the 20th March. The earliest ever was the 11th March in 1995, 2003 and 2009. The latest return date was the 9th April in 1974.

More telling, the average return date for the first ten years recorded (1970-1989) was the 30th March with the most recent ten year's records (2002-2011) averaging the 16th March.

Did we do an exercise a few months ago linking return dates with previous year's breeding success or was that just for Common Tern?

LRPs are the traditional vanguard of spring migration at Upton Warren. With records over 33 springs, the average return date is the 20th March. The earliest ever was the 11th March in 1995, 2003 and 2009. The latest return date was the 9th April in 1974.

More telling, the average return date for the first ten years recorded (1970-1989) was the 30th March with the most recent ten year's records (2002-2011) averaging the 16th March.

Did we do an exercise a few months ago linking return dates with previous year's breeding success or was that just for Common Tern?

Yes, there is no correlation between LRP breeding success at UW and arrival date but there is a correlation between breeding population size and arrival date - speculated to be due to high adult site fidelity but low natal philopatry (see post 8197).

BTW Phil, one of your calculations is slightly out - unless you've sent me inaccurate data.8-P Just checked, probably a difference in rounding - my excel spreadsheet returns (both) median and mean return of 15th March when I plug in the dates for 2002 - 2011.

Last edited:
Which one?

Mean arrival 2002 - 2011 is 15th March. I think the discrepancy is due to the rounding logic used in Excel. If I plug in dates then it rounds down to 15th. If I plug in numeric data then it returns 15.6 which is obviously closer to 16 than 15. However, in date form, 15.6 days into the month of March is still on the 15th. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
The far eastern subspecies of Curlew, Numenius arquata orientalis has on average paler ground colour cf. nominate eurasian subspecies Numenius arquata arquata, plus plumage variation and biometric differences that are often difficult to assess in the field. They are clinal with no sharp boundaries between forms. Add to this, the individual variations that exist within each subspecies and you get one very tough little cookie. Even with pin-sharp photos I'm guessing it would be very difficult to prove a geniuine orientalis form unless it was trapped. Maybe others know better.

Thanks for this. Very informative. So I'm thinking from this-it could be but almost impossible to tell! :t:

Rob

Six hour stint at the Flashes complete; here are some hide shots.

First of all a view as seen on approach to the hide.
Hide 1.jpg

A shot of the door to the ground floor.
Hide 6.jpg

A view looking back along the boardwalk.
Hide 7.jpg

Moving inside; a pair of views of the ground floor with wheelchair recesses (under the windows) and movable benches for ease of access.Hide 4.jpg Hide 5.jpg

And the top floor layout with large windows and fixed benches.
Hide 2.jpg Hide 3.jpg

Log Book required in Hide.

Last edited:
Here are a series of views of the Flashes from downstairs:

_MG_0009_resize.jpg _MG_0010_resize.jpg _MG_0011_resize.jpg _MG_0012_resize.jpg

Species count to follow later...

SJV

Last edited:
Downstairs will afford classic low angle views of birds close in on the grass... and the mega windows upstairs are fantastic for us gifted BIFfers!

Just to let people know before they visit the Flashes, that there are two very large windows in the new hide. These are quite heavy and unless the hide is full might be best left shut. If you are opening them please read the instructions on how to lock them in, there is a garden latch and an extra bolt type lock above. (Sy I think there are instructions aren't there.|:$|; )
I will clean the windows tomorrow. The views through the large windows will also enable people behind the seat to set up a tripod. The hedge watching from the side window now allow at least 4 people to be seated rather than the 1 previously. All in all I personally think the hide will add to the experience of the Flashes.
The area behind could also be planted up with thorns and array of plants. But not including Mike's hanging baskets 8-P
B :)John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back