• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (98 Viewers)

Had a good 5 1/2 hours at the Flashes and Education Reserve this morning. Highlights at the Flashes (this is off the top of my head, as my notebooks in the car and Gail's taken it out):
Avocet 6
LRP 4
Peregrine 2
Gadwall 4
Oystercatcher 1

Education & Sailing Pool:
Normal passerines with highlights of a pair of Treecreepers (on large tree in corner of Edy nearest the lorry park) and a Nuthatch (in the trees behind the railway line). Oystercatcher on pontoon.
Did a load of sound recording today and (this is a really bad thing to complain about) such are the numbers of singing Chiffchaffs on the Reserve presently, it's almost impossible to get recordings of other species without the Chiffchaff's rhythmic background accompaniment!

Flying visit this morning, good to be back highlights being

Raven cronking over the 3rd flash

4 Gadwall dropping into the 1st flash, lovely shapes in flight and stunning drakes on the deck

Reflections of the Avocets on the islands

3 LRP's scrapping away in front of the hide

Hopefully be back over the next few weeks!

Attachments

• avocreflection2.JPG
    avocreflection2.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 68
  • gadwall.JPG
    gadwall.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 60
  • lrp1.JPG
    lrp1.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 57
  • lrp2.JPG
    lrp2.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 51
  • lrp5.JPG
    lrp5.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 54
I was wondering if anyone has seen any Dragonflies yet? I know it may be slighty early, but with this nice weather around I thought that some may be out already

No, too early ( unless there is a vagrant about somewhere) . I've had Comma, Peacock, and Small tort' butterfly on my patch today though

TJ, is the photo of the Avocet meant to be upside down?
My first visit for a couple of month, due to one reason or another, and after being stumped by a photo of a Wren, decided to open my eyes a bit wider.
Weather superb, surprised at how much work has been done by the crews, well done indeed, wish I could join in.
Great weather, birds, company, and enjoyed the new hide.

Couple of Shelducks were doing some synchronized swimming, just one photo of mirror images, a couple of early butterflies, and some very special moments for some of our breeders.

Attachments

• Comma.jpg
    Comma.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
  • GHeron.jpg
    GHeron.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 43
  • LRPlover.jpg
    LRPlover.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 46
  • SD.jpg
    SD.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 41
Flying visit this morning, good to be back highlights being

Raven cronking over the 3rd flash

4 Gadwall dropping into the 1st flash, lovely shapes in flight and stunning drakes on the deck

Reflections of the Avocets on the islands

3 LRP's scrapping away in front of the hide

Hopefully be back over the next few weeks!

Is that Avo upside down Tim8-P
cu soon mate
on the 5th May all-dayer, maybe?
B :)John

Been down for a mid summer stroll around the mecca today, well it felt like summer, without the leaves.
Lots of chichaffs singing everywhere.
MOORS:
GCG 4, little grebe, shoveler 9 (6 males), Teal 6, Gadwall pr, Shelduck pr, Tufted 40+, Oystercatcher 4, lapwing 5, Herring gull 2nd sum, water rail 2 calling car park reeds,

FLASHES:
Teal 15, gadwall pr, Avocet 6, Oystercatcher 1, Lapwing 15 min, LRP 4, snipe 1,
Treecreeper 2 by bridge,

looks like this high pressure is around all week, apparently there is an 'Omega block' affecting the jet stream, which keeps the high in its present position.

Also today I received another donation towards the cost of replacement tools and equipement, from a good geazer who wants to remain anonymous
B :)mate John

other than birds:
Butterflies: 5 small tortoishell and 2 commas and peacock in front of North Moors bench. The bank there is sheltered and faces SW and is always good for butterflies. The east track to the East hide is also good today comma , small tortoishell and peacock. Also seen today Brimstone.

Just had a text from Paul M ,who had just got back from the Moors where he said, that he has never seen so many Bats at this time of year before...over to you Gavo its time to get your detector out mate;)

A few shots and questions.

Good evening all.
I've posted some photos here from todays trip to the moors. The first is a snipe spotted to the right of the concrete hide. The second is a comma butterfly taken from the track. The third is a LBJ (poss Chif-chaf). The forth and fifth shot are what i'm guessing (after a quick look through the reference books) is a Bee-Fly. If anyone out there can confirm this i would be grateful.

Many thanks
Simon P;)

Attachments

• IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3408.jpg
    IMG_3408.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 60
Good evening all.
I've posted some photos here from todays trip to the moors. The first is a snipe spotted to the right of the concrete hide. The second is a comma butterfly taken from the track. The third is a LBJ (poss Chif-chaf). The forth and fifth shot are what i'm guessing (after a quick look through the reference books) is a Bee-Fly. If anyone out there can confirm this i would be grateful.

Many thanks
Simon P;)

Yes it's a Bee-Fly (Bombylius major) my book says!
Superb quality images of the snipe & Butterfly Si.

Is that Avo upside down Tim8-P
cu soon mate
on the 5th May all-dayer, maybe?
B :)John

Good spot John! Thought the reflection came out quite good so I'd see if anyone noticed!

Too add to my previous post, what I always see as an iconic Upton sight is the Peregrines on the transmitter masts at the flashes. Regularly there and today there were 2, an adult male and a imm (3cy?) female. Perched up on either mast and then a bit of aerial combat where it appeared the male was trying to chase off the female, awesome!

Some delightful shots of them both perched up attached, can't remember ever seeing a photo of the perched up! Maybe because there so far away that it's impossible to get a decent shot of them!

Attachments

• pefem.JPG
    pefem.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 92
  • pemale.JPG
    pemale.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 76
Good evening all.
The third is a LBJ (poss Chif-chaf). The forth and fifth shot are what i'm guessing (after a quick look through the reference books) is a Bee-Fly. If anyone out there can confirm this i would be grateful.

Many thanks
Simon P;)

Hi Si yes chiffchaff. The first time I saw a Bee-fly, I thought they were a bit dangerous with that long proboscis. You did well to get a photo, they are really flighty.B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back