• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (7 Viewers)

Phil - I get mean arrival for Sedge for 2002 - 2011 as 9th April.

Hi Dave - I have looked at the data again and I had made an error; I calculate the mean return date for Sedge Warbler over the last ten years to be the 11th April. Perhaps we are working off different data sets?

Ringing......

I have a picture taken recently of a Lesser Black Backed Gull that has a normal ring on one leg and a Black Darvic-type on the other. No information is readable but i would be interested in where it was rung, any ideas on who to contact?:-C

I am enquiring here as it would appear that there are one or two birders who might be able to help me out with relevant contact information.

Looking forward to a speedy reply -

Laurie -:t:

Ringing......

I have a picture taken recently of a Lesser Black Backed Gull that has a normal ring on one leg and a Black Darvic-type on the other. No information is readable but i would be interested in where it was rung, any ideas on who to contact?:-C

I am enquiring here as it would appear that there are one or two birders who might be able to help me out with relevant contact information.

Looking forward to a speedy reply -

Laurie -:t:

Hi Laurie,
The LBBGulls we see at Belvide with black darvics are usually Walney Island birds. They should show a yellow code similar to this bird. http://www.eakringbirds.com/eakringbirds3/birdscolourringed.htm Is that speedy enough?:t:

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
FYI - this is the individual concerned, i cannot discern any usable details but would be interested in any details......

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• 2lesserblackbackedgulls2.jpg
    2lesserblackbackedgulls2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 62
Steve - sorry if there was some confusion, too many dodgy characters at UW;)
Altho i'm told it's THE place for Marsh Tit:eek!:

Sy V - found that site and have emailed the Norway people for any info -

Tnx -

Laurie :t:

Birding at the Mecca today from 9am till 6.15pm

Spent the first 5 hours at the Moors, where we had heavy rain at 1pm for a good few minutes. The wind was cold and mostly northerly.

Loads of chiffs(8) and blackcaps (7) all over the site. Sedge warbler was heard (not by me)and 1 Willow warbler.
Duck numbers apart from Tufted are dropping.
Vis Mig today involved 40 hirundines mostly sand martin and swallow with a couple of house martin. A meadow pipit called whilst flying north and that was it.
Species count Moors:GCG 8, shoveler male, teal pr, gadwall male, shelduck pr, LRP, lapwing 1 male holding territory, plus 1 over. Oystercatcher 4 (2 prs), Snipe 4,
kingfisher performed well most of the morning. Stock dove 4 (this species is becoming more commoner at the Moors, than it used to be). Buzzard 10, sparrowhawk, Raven, rook (only my 2nd of the year).
Water rail's still vocal around the causeway.

The Flashes from 2pm onwards. Spent a bit of time around the bridge where at least 3 blackcaps were singing with others foraging in the Education pollarded hedge. One of the blackcap has a strange 'whistling' phrase at the beginning of its song. Sometimes it only used this phrase, was very confusing at first. A garden warbler was listed in the log book.
Many of the waders on site, performed well to the watching crowds in the channel in front of the hide (the 'hide channel'), these included common sand, green sand, LRP 5, lapwing 8, avocet - only 3. A single snipe fed in the grass to the right of the hide. Other bits and pieces included: shelduck pr (from moors), gadwall pr, peregrine, buzzards 6, raven, rook, stock doves, skylark,
swallow and sand martin 2.
Gavo and Hayley discovered a pair of ground nesting pied wagtails in front of the hide on the peninsula.
Today I had 60 species.
B :)John

Last edited:
Heading down to Upton Warren for my first ever visit soon, I've been given some info on where to visit etc from a friend on a photography forum.

Moors Pool is where I am heading with the camera first to see what i can find, any other advice worth taking onboard so I can make the most of the dayout?

Many thanks

Butterflies appeared on the reserve today after the rain, 13°c seems a good tipping point. Orange Tips on both sides, a Brimstone on the Salwarpe, a Peacock and 2 Small Tortoishell on the flashes path walking back to the car. I think JB said he had seen a Comma

Spent a bit of time around the bridge where at least 3 blackcaps were singing with others foraging in the Education pollarded hedge. One of the blackcap has a strange 'whistling' phrase at the beginning of its song. Sometimes it only used this phrase, was very confusing at first. A garden warbler was listed in the log book.

Good list of sightings for the day John - would be nice to get a passage wader, even a Dunlin!

I am only aware of three sightings of Garden Warbler in the country so far this spring so I would treat today's report with some caution unless anyone can provide some further details. The earliest record in the reserve's history was the 18th April in 1998.

Last edited:
Photos of today's questionable Pipit, cropped but not photoshopped.

View attachment 378426 View attachment 378427
Hi Snow-Bunting, we spoke in the hide yesterday, many thanks for publishing the pipit photographs. I was hoping that blown up on the computer the photos might offer more clues to the pipit's identification, but as you can see from the responses we are not going to be able to say exactly what it was. It is one of those species where we really needed to get 'the full suite of features'. Thanks once again. John

Heading down to Upton Warren for my first ever visit soon, I've been given some info on where to visit etc from a friend on a photography forum.

Moors Pool is where I am heading with the camera first to see what i can find, any other advice worth taking onboard so I can make the most of the dayout?

Many thanks

I am sure the photographers amongst us can provide better advice than I can but here goes:-

- The Moors Pool is effectively arranged on an east-west axis so the sun is behind you in the East (Lapwing) Hide in the morning and the West (Bittern) Hide in the afternoon.
- In the East Hide look out for Snipe feeding in the margins amongst the flag; should also get good opportunities for Shelduck, Teal, Oystercatcher and Shoveler.
- The West Hide overlooks the feeding station; probably a bit quiet this time of year but also a chance of a showy Bullfinch
- Just before you get to the West (Bittern) Hide there is the Concrete (Water Rail) Hide; there are feeders nearby plus chance of a Water Rail in front and gulls on the rail in the water.

The Flashes offers opportunities to tackle Avocet, Little Ringed Plover, Lapwing and sandpipers; I would suggest you use the ground floor of the Tower (Avocet) Hide to get the best angle. Light is probably better here in the afternoon.

Many thanks

Hi Mate if you send a PM (private message) to forgetfulelephant,. he is one of resident warden/photographers, he will put you right. Please note if you are not a member of a wildlife trust you will need a day permit.
B :)john

Hi Snow-Bunting, we spoke in the hide yesterday, many thanks for publishing the pipit photographs. I was hoping that blown up on the computer the photos might offer more clues to the pipit's identification, but as you can see from the responses we are not going to be able to say exactly what it was. It is one of those species where we really needed to get 'the full suite of features'. Thanks once again. John

Hi John - I take it the bird wasnt heard to call yesterday? Would echo your thanks to Snow Bunting for sharing his images with us.

Phil

A few shots from in front of the new hide, in the 'hide channel'.
Please note, I am a member of the 'bridge camera crew' of which there are now quite a few of us.8-P
as opposed to the bazooka crew

One thing the pictures show is how the colour of the water changes throughout the day.

Attachments

• 1.LRP fem (3).JPG
    1.LRP fem (3).JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.com sand original (2).JPG
    2.com sand original (2).JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 84
  • best gud gs (2).jpg
    best gud gs (2).jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Butterflies appeared on the reserve today after the rain, 13°c seems a good tipping point. Orange Tips on both sides, a Brimstone on the Salwarpe, a Peacock and 2 Small Tortoishell on the flashes path walking back to the car. I think JB said he had seen a Comma
I am glad to see you were enjoying the butterflies today, but I wonder how many people know on which food plants these common butterflies are dependant and where, if at all, they are to be found on the reserves at Upton Warren.
The rarest butterfly we have on the reserve which emerges later in the summer is the White-letter Hairstreak; nationally it is Notable Scarce b, which means it occurs in only 31 to 100 ten kilometre squares in the country. The eggs of this butterfly, grey flying saucer like discs, can currently be seen fixed below a flower bud on twigs on the sunny side of the canopy of its favoured Wych Elm along the Salwarp. John

Hi John - I take it the bird wasnt heard to call yesterday? Would echo your thanks to Snow Bunting for sharing his images with us.

Phil
Unfortunately, I don't say regrettably, as we were enjoying our pints, but Des, Bob, JR, Mike and I, could not hear it from the Bowler before the Osprey flushed it! So arguable the best two species on the day are missing from my record of 54 species for the afternoon. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back