• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (130 Viewers)

There are a few closeups on my Flickr site that I took at Slimbridge if they are of any use Gav. Copy & paste this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetfulelephant/sets/72157624173048730/with/6522300279/

in to your browser address bar to get to the set then click on any thumbnail image to see larger image.

Rob

Cheers Rob, much appreciated.

Another cry for help, during the presentation I have to discuss management strategies for the species, I was wondering if PHIL or JOHN had any stats for breeding redshank at UW, i.e. years they bred, fledgling success/failure and general management employed for them, any info would be most welcome :t:

Gert, after that lot did the water level come up, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't as it has actually dropped in the last 2 weeks:eek!:
. As the sluice is closed, I wonder if the water table is being topped up, can't think of any other explanation..... can anyone explainB :)

No obvious rise in water level. 4 Tufted Duck on Flashes this morning. Also 3 Common Sands on sailing lake and 1 on flashes.

common sands on the move

9 at westwood and several others elsewhere in the county.
we have between 4 and 8 on the reserve.
Over the years, at the reserve there are 2 possibly 3 separate waves of this species stretching into May, when presumably more northerly breeders stop off on route. Keep checking for the 'spotty one' amongst them.:smoke:

Cheers Rob, much appreciated.

Another cry for help, during the presentation I have to discuss management strategies for the species, I was wondering if PHIL or JOHN had any stats for breeding redshank at UW, i.e. years they bred, fledgling success/failure and general management employed for them, any info would be most welcome :t:

PM me your email address and I will send you what Ive got

8 Common Sands across the reserve is a good count. Any sign of Cuckoo or Common / Lesser Whitethroat?

Last edited:
Nice one. Did you have your Common Sands on the Flashes and Sailing Pool at the same time Rob was at the Moors?

Not sure, Phil. I saw the 3 initial birds on the Sailing Lake at about 6.30am and the other bird on the Flashes about 10 minutes later. Rob and I didn't meet until late morning. I did see Dave Jackson's car on the Sailing Club car park after I had walked around the Education Reserve, so he might have been at the Moors Pool first thing and may be able to enlighten you further.

Below is a record shot of this afternoon's Wheatear at the Flashes.

Attachments

• DSCF4029.JPG
    DSCF4029.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
9 at westwood and several others elsewhere in the county.
we have between 4 and 8 on the reserve.
Over the years, at the reserve there are 2 possibly 3 separate waves of this species stretching into May, when presumably more northerly breeders stop off on route. Keep checking for the 'spotty one' amongst them.:smoke:

Just to develop John's theme a little further, please find attached a chart of the half monthly maximum counts for 1998 to 2011. What appears to be a steady rise and fall over the Spring is actually several distinct waves of passage before return passage starts very early (late June) - with presumably non-breeding birds starting to filter their way back south - and lasts throughout the summer into early autumn. As can be seen the second half of April sees the highest numbers of Common Sandpiper on the reserve:

Attachments

• Common Sand.png
    Common Sand.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 48
Hi Chaps

Are the Sands more common on the early shift as I keep missing them !! Arrghhhh

Has any one got any good images of them.

Thanks

My personal experience is that Common Sands are more often found at the Sailing Pool early morning (sometimes resting up on the pontoons) before the centre's activities commence. There is a lot of hidden shoreline for them at the Moors Pool whilst at the Flashes they always seem to be appearing from the Third Flash.

Hi Chaps

Thanks

No. There were still 2 on the Sailing Lake and 1 on the Flashes this evening (see below). I've also attached a shot of a Green Sandpiper taken yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• DSCF4033.JPG
    DSCF4033.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF3933.JPG
    DSCF3933.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 74
Here are some images of the Common Sandpiper in front of the Water Rail Hide.

As you can see from one perches are not just for Kingfishers!

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB1442 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1442 - Version 2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 94
  • _ROB1408 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1408 - Version 2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 77
  • _ROB1368 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1368 - Version 2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 74
Hi Chaps

Thanks

During the middle part of the day too there were sandpipers to be seen at both the Moors Pool and the Flashes. At the Moors they seem to like the rocky surround of the pool at the centre of the "lagoon island".

Peter

Hi Chaps

Thanks

Hi,
The enclosed is from last friday. It's the best I have.
Bob;)

Attachments

• commom sand 1 200412.jpg
    commom sand 1 200412.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 64
  • green sand 1 200412.jpg
    green sand 1 200412.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Back