• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Friday morning count

Bird count from the Moors at 9am.
Greylag goose 24
Canada goose 45
Mute swan 5
Teal 15
Shelduck 2
Pochard 4
Coot 139
Bhg 69
Shoveler 5
Tufted duck 8
Snipe 30
Lapwing 60
Curlew 11
Kingfisher 3
Water Rail 1

A flock of about 40 Waxwings at the entrance to Webbs.

Flashes was completely frozen over with just 5 BHG present.

Lots of finches and thrushes in all the hedgerows and at the feeder stations.

Bird count from the Moors at 9am.
Greylag goose 24
Canada goose 45
Mute swan 5
Teal 15
Shelduck 2
Pochard 4
Coot 139
Bhg 69
Shoveler 5
Tufted duck 8
Snipe 30
Lapwing 60
Curlew 11
Kingfisher 3
Water Rail 1

A flock of about 40 Waxwings at the entrance to Webbs.

Flashes was completely frozen over with just 5 BHG present.

Lots of finches and thrushes in all the hedgerows and at the feeder stations.

Thanks Bob, looks like winter is here:-C
B :)John

Mistle thrush

I suspect that there will be a lot of better Waxwing shots than mine appearing today, so here's a Mistle Thrush instead.

Attachments

• Compressed Mistle Thrush.jpg
    Compressed Mistle Thrush.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 79
Waxwings Webbs

I remember the last time they were there in big numbers.. 30 odd, I think it was ? 6th December 2010...during that hoar frost that lasted for ages and was the precurser to the 'big freeze' that finished off Bittern and Cettis on the reserve (fingers crossed the Cettis stay).

They looked magnificant, getting drunk on the frozen berries

Lets hope we are in for a milder winter this time, not least for the birds sake.

I remember the last time they were there in big numbers.. 30 odd, I think it was ? 6th December 2010...during that hoar frost that lasted for ages and was the precurser to the 'big freeze' that finished off Bittern and Cettis on the reserve (fingers crossed the Cettis stay).

Lets hope we are in for a milder winter this time, not least for the birds sake.

Lets hope so although I have been hearing rumours (unconfirmed yet) of another hard winter. Temps of -20 Dec & Jan!!!!!

Rob

waxwings drinking and bathing on the sailing pool car park does this count for the warren ?

Attachments

• www2.jpg
    www2.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 166
  • www1.jpg
    www1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 105
For both Tonyellis and Vern.
Adult males are the most obvious, they have very sharp chin patches. which cut off very abruptly, creating a very "clean" impression. However most of the Id'ing goes on at the primarys, A VERY broad yellow edge along them, combined with obvious white 'tips' to each primary.Adult Males also have (im led to believe 7+ Red waxy tips), while all other ages/Sexes have less. As you would also expect, adult males also have the broadest, and brightest tail band also.
Adult females normally have a diffuse lower border to the chin patch (contrast to male) and the primary edges are usually a less intense yellow, while only having fairly dull (however still being present) white tips to each primary feather. As stated, females have a lower number of Waxy tips (betweem 4-6 i think). The tail band (despite being bright) is often far less substancial than males, and is often noticibly smaller.
1st winters are usually harder, but each of the sexing tips are usually visable e.g. Chin patch. Males still have more waxy tips than females, although this is usually much less than an adult (up to about 5 i think), Primary pattern is much less reliable at this age, and i try not to use it too much when approaching 1st winters apart from being obviously duller than adults. The tail band is usually fairly dull compared to adults, and is also usually very thin.

Compare Verns female pics to this adult male
View attachment 417025
If theres anything that anyone anyone else can add please bring it up, im more than happy to learn more.
Hope this helps
MB

Nice one Craig, seem to have mentioned all the features here apart from crest size and head colouration, males will have larger crests and brigher colouring around the head.

Article here is useful

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/saltholme/b/saltholme-blog/archive/2012/11/25/get-more-from-your-waxwing-watching.aspx#.ULIwmORrHTI.twitter

The 2 birds in this photo can both be aged as 1w (aka 1cy) due to the lack of colour (white/yellow) in the primary tips, the right hand bird can be sexed as a female due to diffuse border to black throat patch and very few waxy tips and the bird on the left probably a male due to number of waxy tips but other features need to be seen (hard to judge depth of yellow on tail from photo)

Stunning birds, glad they've finally arrived at the (Upton) Warren ringed my first yesterday at the (Spurn) Warren!

Upton Warren Waxwing stats will be posted later this evening

After the excitement of the Waxwings at Webbs, we popped by the Moors Pool just before dusk, which was a more tranquil setting and loved the new (or not so new, as we do not get over to UW often) two storey hide. In fact, every time we visit we notice something different which enhances the reserve for the wildlife - so we give the volunteers a :t: The Moors was buzzing with activity, especially round the feeding station. Highlight of the evening was a Kingfisher sitting on the post just below the hide - wouldn't have minded a Jack Snipe as well but maybe that is being too greedy!

waxwings drinking and bathing on the sailing pool car park does this count for the warren ?

Were you standing within the boundary of the flashes when you saw them .? ;)

The Upton Warren recording area includes the WWT reserve (Flashes and Moors, including the path down the Salwarpe to the A38), the A38 fields, the Moors residencies (including the pont paddock), the Sailing Pool and adjoining fields, the two associated car parks, the Education Reserve and - in my eyes - everything that can be safely observed from those locations. I am therefore fine in including Waxwings seen in the entrance bushes. If Jared finds a Siberian Thrush in the rear grounds of Webbs we may push the borders (not Si and Guy ;)) a little further! 8-P

I think Black Redstart was originally on the UW list on the basis of a bird Arthur had seen approx 0.5m to the east of the Flashes over the ridge near the railway track! :eek!:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back