• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (101 Viewers)

my contribution from this weekend

a selection of waxwing pics, ref catching flys one pic has a waxwing with fly in beak.

Attachments

• DSC08226-001.jpg
    DSC08226-001.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC08227-001.JPG
    DSC08227-001.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC08316-001.JPG
    DSC08316-001.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC08348.JPG
    DSC08348.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC08354.JPG
    DSC08354.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 104
last ones

a few more plus bullfinch

Attachments

• DSC08379-001.JPG
    DSC08379-001.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC08399.jpg
    DSC08399.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC08428-001.JPG
    DSC08428-001.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC08380-001.JPG
    DSC08380-001.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 121
Webbs

Thought I'd throw a couple in from yesterday, can't help thinking of Jedward with the first one! They passed that berry between themselves at least 5 times before it was eaten - bonding perhaps?

Attachments

• IMG_4323b.jpg
    IMG_4323b.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4350b.jpg
    IMG_4350b.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4612b.jpg
    IMG_4612b.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 116
Dont think the Waxwings were seen after mid morning; 11 were reported at 1:30pm in a Wychbold garden at Centurian Woods entrance. At 10am there were 6 Goosanders on the Sailing Pool (3 males and 3 "brown heads") with a report of 9 birds there around midday. Also present were 24 Greylag Geese and a Grey Heron.

At the Moors Pool there were 3 GC Grebe (plus the 12 on the Sailing Pool), approx 9 Curlew, 9 Pochard, 18 Shoveler, 7+ Herring Gulls at dusk, together with regular over-flying Redpoll. A Chiffchaff was reported in the Education Reserve.

Last edited:
Flashes work party

Many thanks to all the attendees of the Flashes work - Woodchat, Wheatearlp, Upstarts, Gavo, Phil Q, Mike Y, Beyonder, Peter E, Derek, Paul A, The Hairy Birder, Muntjac, The Not So Hairy Birder, Binus and Jeanette - for their efforts. Today we established the winter feeding station, cleared and desilted the drainage channel from the sluice, cleared the feeder channel to the sluice, strimmed the grassland around the feeding station, cut back some of the dry poor quality reeds at the edge of the first Flash and relocated our spare materials away from the main hide. John will post some photos later.

The feeding station was already attracting Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits, Wrens and Robins within a few minutes. Previously it had regularly held good numbers of Chaffinch, Bullfinch and Reed Bunting together with less frequent Brambling, Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow. The last time we seriously strimmed this area the cut both Water Rail and Snipe were commonly seen in the channel in front of the hide fo the next few weeks. If anyone has a spare 30 minutes and fancies a bit of quiet birding Far From the Waxwing Crowd I would recommend visiting the Flashes feeding station and see what pops out.

Last edited:
Greetings Upton Pickers,

Today the forum passed 15,000 posts so a big Thank You to ALL contributers; I thought I would do a quick run down of the Top 10 posters (not 'alf).

10. Wheatearlp - 315 posts: resident pedant and late riser
9. UW82 (Des Jennings) - 417 posts: the guardian of Wednesdays
8. Woodwolf (Mark Peacock) - 420 posts: rival to Mike's late riser title and manager of the Flickr account
7. Midlandsbirder (Craig Reed) - 452 posts: the enthusiastic product of our "yuff" policy
6. Gertatron (Gert Corfield) - 626 posts: brings at bit of the Fatherland (and various home brews) to Upton
5. Forgetfulelephant (Rob Evans) - 743 posts: virtually resident on the reserve nowadays, putting in many hours volunteer wardening
4. Sy V (Simon Vickers) - 1,068 posts: our very own Michael Fish
3. Woodchat (David Walker) - 1,273 posts: seems to literally charm rare birds out of the sky
2. Upton-till-i-die (Phil Andrews) - 2,067 posts: stunningly handsome, debonair wit and charming racconteur
1. Upstarts 1979 (John Belsey) - 3,163 posts: all round good guy, devoting hours to the reserve' management

Greetings Upton Pickers,

Today the forum passed 15,000 posts so a big Thank You to ALL contributers; I thought I would do a quick run down of the Top 10 posters (not 'alf).

8. Woodwolf (Mark Peacock) - 420 posts: rival to Mike's late riser title and manager of the Flickr account
7. Midlandsbirder (Craig Reed) - 452 posts: the enthusiastic product of our "yuff" policy
6. Gertatron (Gert Corfield) - 626 posts: brings at bit of the Fatherland (and various home brews) to Upton
5. Forgetfulelephant (Rob Evans) - 743 posts: virtually resident on the reserve nowadays, putting in many hours volunteer wardening
3. Woodchat (David Walker) - 1,273 posts: seems to literally charm rare birds out of the sky
2. Upton-till-i-die (Phil Andrews) - 2,067 posts: stunningly handsome, debonair wit and charming racconteur
1. Upstarts 1979 (John Belsey) - 3,163 posts: all round good guy, devoting hours to the reserve' management

Interesting breakdown of the charts Phil-744 for me now!
By the way-whats a Racoon Chewer? 8-P

Rob

JTB had a white-winged gull go over the Flashes early afternoon so keep your eyes peeled !

I didn't have my bins so can't be 100%, but flew over my head with what appeared to be totally translucent primaries and secondaries. Unfortunately, by the time I got my bins out it had gone. So the one that got away and I will have to make sure I have my bins on when we are on work parties.:-C
B :)John
ps I think we will have to have a look out next time.:t:

Greetings Upton Pickers,

That made me laugh out loud Phil, and just to add.. And folks it is always a pleasure to bird with at Upton :t:

Today's work party at the Flashes

Pics from today
1. before work at feeding station
2. before work view of overflow channel and small reed patch
3. view of Feeding station after work
4. view of overflow channel after work
5. view of end of channel

Today we also cleared the wooden planks and equipment piled up to south of hide. After pruning the blackthorn, the pile was visible to view, so today we removed it and hid it elsewhere.
While doing so, we found a pygmy shrew and hibernating peacock both of which were relocated safely.B :)John
once again thanks again to all 16 of us today, for a great effort.
Hope we didn't work you too hard Ian;)

Attachments

• 1.B4 wrk fstn dec 12 (2).JPG
    1.B4 wrk fstn dec 12 (2).JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.b4 wrk reed and ch dec 12 (2).JPG
    2.b4 wrk reed and ch dec 12 (2).JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.AFTER WRK fstn dec12 (2).JPG
    3.AFTER WRK fstn dec12 (2).JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 4.afta wrk reeds and chn dec 12 (2).JPG
    4.afta wrk reeds and chn dec 12 (2).JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 5.reeds and chn afta wrk dec 12 (2).JPG
    5.reeds and chn afta wrk dec 12 (2).JPG
    250 KB · Views: 104
Pics from today

Today we also cleared the wooden planks and equipment piled up to south of hide. After pruning the blackthorn, the pile was visible to view, so today we removed it and hid it elsewhere.
While doing so, we found a pygmy shrew and hibernating peacock both of which were relocated safely.B :)John
No chance! Thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll recover given enough time!!

Disabled access to the West track

Just to let any of you who have disabled access through the West track gate know that the lock has been changed. The old one gave up the ghost & despite repeated requests for it to open it refused point blank.

The no. remains the same & there is still a button to push on the base but it is a different style of lock. The no.s show on both sides but there is a mark on one side to line them up. Also they now read from top to bottom instead of side to side as in the old one.

Hope this is clear!

Rob

Pics from today

great job guys n gals

i would of loved to have been there today but i was photographing a bitten at slimbridge :-O

Bird Sightings today other than Phil's sightings

Moors: The pool was 80% frozen, open water was a narrow strip, that ran along the whole of the east side.
Tufted c30, coot c200, Goosander 3 were briefly on the moors per Bob H, Teal 25, snipe 15 on edge of seasonal pool per Dave J. water rail - very vocal along the whole of the west side, including the North Moors pool. Several gulls appeared to be roosting on the ice tonight. Kingfisher at least 2, Goldcrest, fieldfare roosting along west side.

Flashes Totally frozen
Snipe only 1, linnet c40 - Dave W (woodchat), siskin, Waxwing the flock were seen to land behind oak tree in climbing frame field AM - Paul H (Beyonder).

Just to let any of you who have disabled access through the West track gate know that the lock has been changed. The old one gave up the ghost & despite repeated requests for it to open it refused point blank.

The no. remains the same & there is still a button to push on the base but it is a different style of lock. The no.s show on both sides but there is a mark on one side to line them up. Also they now read from top to bottom instead of side to side as in the old one.

Hope this is clear!

Rob

Please note the numbers are different on the opposite side, so be sure you are looking on the correct one - unfortunately myself and AN Other didn't quite understand it - eh Rob, derrrr :smoke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back