• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (120 Viewers)

Hi Des - below is a quote from KeithR taken off the Bittell thread; suggests it was late afternoon:

Thanks Phil for the link to here...I have been trying to access an Upton info site for years.....might have known there was an Osprey here if I could have made contact.

WEBBS.....Can I write here thanking Webbs for their treatment of the birders/photers who have turned up over the last few weeks....they really could have told us to B**** off.

Thanks
Keith :t:

p.s. and a surprise to see I had a mention before I had even got here....lol

I was at Upton from 1pm till about 3.40pm today and there was no sign of the Waxwings. North moors frozen over, Moors was 80% frozen over, as was the sailing lake, and the flashes was more or less 100% frozen.

However it was easier to count what birds were about, so........

Moors:
27 Tufted duck, 10 Pochard, 259 Coot, 47 Teal, 2 GC Grebes, 8 Shoveler, 54 Mallard, 12 Lapwing, 8 Curlew, 2 Moorhen, 2 Buzzards, 6 Snipe, 1 Kestrel, 1 Herring Gull, 2 LBB Gulls, 3 Cormorants plus a few Redpolls, single Redwing, several Blackbirds and Robins, single Song Thrush.

Sailing lake:
23 Greylags, 29 Canadas, 10 Mallards, 8 GC Grebe, single Kingfisher

Flashes:
8 Moorhen, single Pheasant.

Additionally 1-200 BH Gulls between the Moors and sailing lake. And the usual Starlings flying to roost in the flashes reeds.

I was at Upton from 1pm till about 3.40pm today and there was no sign of the Waxwings. North moors frozen over, Moors was 80% frozen over, as was the sailing lake, and the flashes was more or less 100% frozen.

However it was easier to count what birds were about, so........

Moors:
27 Tufted duck, 10 Pochard, 259 Coot, 47 Teal, 2 GC Grebes, 8 Shoveler, 54 Mallard, 12 Lapwing, 8 Curlew, 2 Moorhen, 2 Buzzards, 6 Snipe, 1 Kestrel, 1 Herring Gull, 2 LBB Gulls, 3 Cormorants plus a few Redpolls, single Redwing, several Blackbirds and Robins, single Song Thrush.
Sailing lake:
23 Greylags, 29 Canadas, 10 Mallards, 8 GC Grebe, single Kingfisher
Flashes:
8 Moorhen, single Pheasant.

Additionally 1-200 BH Gulls between the Moors and sailing lake. And the usual Starlings flying to roost in the flashes reeds.
Hi Steve
Did see your car a couple of times mate, I was there from 8.30am until 4.45pm.
At Moors
Early am the pool was 90% frozen, so counting was easy and the birds were loafing so diving sp were on view all the time.
much as your counts: Tufted 47, Pochard 17 (11 males), Mallard 223 - these were coming and going all day, Cormorant 23 but most flew over at 9am. curlew 9, lapwing 100+, jack snipe appeared at 4.10pm on snipe island, snipe 20+ many feeding in field behind east hide and later 12 in front, Yellow legged gull adult, common gull 2 ads, Herring gulls several dropped in early pm, BHG c200, LBBG 25, plenty of water rail. In front of new hide in 5 minute, I saw green and great sp woodp, water rail and kingfisher - all within 10 metres of the hide. Also kestrel, grey wagtail and goldcrest, as well as 4 thrushes and a few redpoll.
there were 23 waxwings in the sailing centre at 1.30pm

pics from today

1 to 3
adult yellow legged gull - shows a very small black eye and longish legs (cf caspian gull - tried to string it into one)
4. the waterfowl crammed into a very small area
5. silhouette of waxwings

Attachments

• 1.Best YLgull (5).JPG
    1.Best YLgull (5).JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.Best YLgull (3).JPG
    2.Best YLgull (3).JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 3.Best YLgull (4).jpg
    3.Best YLgull (4).jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 4waterfowl(3).JPG
    4waterfowl(3).JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 5 waxwing (3).jpg
    5 waxwing (3).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
more pics from today

1. view of open area from west hide
2. view from east hide
3. great spot woody - with my bridge camera.

Attachments

• 6freeze up from west hide.JPG
    6freeze up from west hide.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 7 view from east hide freeze up.JPG
    7 view from east hide freeze up.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 93
  • 8gr sp woodp.JPG
    8gr sp woodp.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 124
Not much news from the reserve so far today so here's a few pics to be going on with:

1. Teeny Tiny little fungi on a Willow. They have all disappeared since I took this. Anyone have an ID please?
2. This month's competition is 'Guess the number of Jackdaws'. This was about half of the total flock which I estimated at c.1000.
3. Mute Swan-leg ring no. 15C
4. Kestrel with a few 'admirers'.

Rob

Attachments

• DSC_0030 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0030 - Version 2.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 90
  • _ROB1998.jpg
    _ROB1998.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 97
  • _ROB2067 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB2067 - Version 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 84
  • _ROB2085 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB2085 - Version 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 95
Not much news from the reserve so far today so here's a few pics to be going on with:

1. Teeny Tiny little fungi on a Willow. They have all disappeared since I took this. Anyone have an ID please?
2. This month's competition is 'Guess the number of Jackdaws'. This was about half of the total flock which I estimated at c.1000.

Rob

Hi Rob, nice pics, your Mushroom is a type of Bonnet I think. if google that it might point you in the right direction :t:

Rob

I don't know how to insert a pic in a thread (anyone ?)
but are they the same as these...if so someone I.D'd them as Mycena...
Mycena2.jpg

Mycena1.jpg

I don't know how to insert a pic in a thread (anyone ?)
but are they the same as these...if so someone I.D'd them as Mycena...
Mycena2.jpg

Mycena1.jpg

Thanks Keith. Looks like they could be. Size is about right.

To post a pic: First of all you will need to resize your pics to a maximum dimension of 1600 pixels or I think max file size of 365kb otherwise the site will not accept them. I duplicate my pics first before I upload so that the orignal is not affected. You may find when you do this you need to'Export' rather than 'Save'.

Under the message box-bottom of the thread-click on Advanced-Manage Attachments. Which brings up a box to Browse to where your pics are stored on your pc. When you've chosen your pic which should show in the Browse box click on Upload. Shortly after it should show undeneath the Browse box which clears for another pic. When you have finished click Close This Window. Then click Preview Post under the Message box & you wil be able to see what they look like on the site. Type your message & click Submit Reply

Hope this helps. It a bit complicated at first but have a go. Ask if you get stuck.

Rob

At the Flashes today

After briefly watching the waxwings in the sailing centre car park I went onto the Flashes.
Checking out the sailing pool where 8 GCG's were present, as well as 23 greylags in the adjacent field.
The 1st and 2nd Flash were both 50% open. But there was not a lot about, well at first that wasn't. But then a pair of shelduck appeared followed by about 10 lapwing, a flock of BHG's on the ice and a herring gull flew over.
Out the back of the hide in the transmitter field was a mixed flock of thrushes and starlings, which included redwing 50, fieldfare 20, blackbirds , starlings and a massive mistle thrush ( tried to string a White's thrush out of it). I started to walk back when I noticed a good flock of linnet drop in the flashes. I went back to the hide and counted at least 45 feeding on the salt plants. A good reason to leave these plants (which grow mostly on the shingle islands) until early spring, when we can then clear the islands.
A bit of a flock theme with today's photos. Sorry I don't do portraits - my camera aint good enough so I'll stick to atmospheric.8-P - well that's my excuse:smoke:
1. BHG reflection
2. Mistle thrush at front of what was c100 birds feeding on the deck.
3. linnets above board walk
4. linnets on one of the shingle islands.

Attachments

• 1.BHG reflection (3).JPG
    1.BHG reflection (3).JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 2. Mistle thrush (4).JPG
    2. Mistle thrush (4).JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.linnet flashesDSCF6133 (3).JPG
    3.linnet flashesDSCF6133 (3).JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.Linnets at the FL 7Dec12.JPG
    4.Linnets at the FL 7Dec12.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Random stuff

The reason for going to the Flashes other than birding was to erect a plaque. I met Mike Stephens from the group, who kindly asked me to help him. The plaque is in memory of a stalwart of the Malvern RSPB and I represented our volunteers. The group made a significant donation to the flashes hide in memory of Brian.
I am sure the Trust will be making an official statement soon.
Mike also had a package for me, a dead Waxwing:-C, this bird was one of a group of 12 in his neighbours garden. Unfortunately it hit a window and died instantly. Strangely though one of the birds remained for several hours in the garden, whilst the rest of the lock disappeared. This bird was almost 'touchable' and would not move away at all. I asked Mike if it may also have hit the window and been stunned, but only one bird did so. Mike said it was almost as if the bird was in mourning - strange. Passerines do grieve for partners but this is usually in the breeding season , when the pair bond is at its strongest.

Attachments

• 5. mike stephens and plackDSCF6106 (2).JPG
    5. mike stephens and plackDSCF6106 (2).JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF6103 (2).JPG
    DSCF6103 (2).JPG
    168 KB · Views: 123
Some Waxwing shots from this morning:

Attachments

• Waxwingatmosphericshot_1_DSCF8452.jpg
    Waxwingatmosphericshot_1_DSCF8452.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Waxwingcatchberry_1_DSCF8508.jpg
    Waxwingcatchberry_1_DSCF8508.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Waxwingonground_1_DSCF8537.jpg
    Waxwingonground_1_DSCF8537.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Rob for sorting me out.....tried it with a few from Webbs....hope it works.
Keith
P.s. YES...great.

Attachments

• Canon 21 117 a b c Col Bal.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 21 117 a b c Col Bal.jpg low.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Wax 1.jpg
    Wax 1.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Wax 2.jpg
    Wax 2.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 112