• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (146 Viewers)

a few bits from a pleasant afternoon

various bits dunnock oyster catcher gadwell x2 curlew.

Attachments

• DSC01395.JPG
    DSC01395.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01420.JPG
    DSC01420.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC01430.JPG
    DSC01430.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC01432.JPG
    DSC01432.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC01456.JPG
    DSC01456.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 106
last few

curlew, wren, long tailed tit, chaffinch and the avocet.

Attachments

• DSC01458.JPG
    DSC01458.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC01466.JPG
    DSC01466.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC01479.JPG
    DSC01479.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC01487.JPG
    DSC01487.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01495.JPG
    DSC01495.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 121
Quick visit to the Flashes and very unusually a Jack Snipe was feeding in full view of the hide and struck around for ages. Think it's probably the best view I've had of one.

Attachments

• Jack Snipe.jpg
    Jack Snipe.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 174
Quick visit to the Flashes and very unusually a Jack Snipe was feeding in full view of the hide and struck around for ages. Think it's probably the best view I've had of one.

Mike was that in the 'delta' to the right of the hide , where you and your son were digging last year, if so unusual as you say during the day....:t:

Mike was that in the 'delta' to the right of the hide , where you and your son were digging last year, if so unusual as you say during the day....:t:

Hi

To the left of the hide as you look out, the little spit that reaches out. I thought it was pretty unusual. It was there for at least the three quarters of an hour I was in the hide, feeding then just sitting there.

Mike

Gutted! A photographer's worst scenario. I uploaded the first 80-odd shots that I took this morning to my PC and went for a shower while the were uploading. Came back and there's loads of error messages saying that the latter images couldn't be extracted from the disk.
I think they're still on it but Windows now doesn't recognise the file structure and the camera wants me to format the disk!
Essentially, every photo I took when the light was favourable has (unless I can get them off this apparently corrupted CF disk) been lost. What really hurts is that the Green Sands were only present for a short while but they were on the spot island and the wooden ramp next to it leading to the main island, together in full view... 15 yards away at most!

I went to bed a very disappointed boy last night. Sometime during the night I awoke and thought that I might be able to find some software to recover the lost data. My first Google search pointed me towards this: http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=CZpSWf-gyUfy_A6KO0wXQ0IGoDfffh-EB-72bmQOfq-XiCwgAEAEgtlQoA1CugobQ_P____8BYLvul4PQCqABneXB_wPIAQGqBB1P0Lf9snZvUHF6mwPpEB8WJGKMYke5DK2v-cmn6YAFkE6AB8uaPg&sig=AOD64_0XJGzBu9ekfLj0fTuby2vfTO39Ug&ved=0CDQQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.cardrecovery.com/%3Frid%3Dgoogle%26kid%3Dcr5001&rct=j&q=compact+flash+data+recovery, I've downloaded installed and it's now busily finding data files on the corrupted CF disk and it's seeing them as CR2s (which is Canon's RAW file format). Whether these files will be workable once I've got them on to the PC is another matter but it's given me hope. The only thing is I had planned to have left home for the Flashes by now. It'll be worth the delay if it works though. I forecast (and it's bound to come true 'cos I'm at home) there will be 3 Avocets at the Flashes this morning...

Glad to see you have retrieved your pics.Might I suggest you look at software called Recuva. Free of charge from software producer called Piriform. I have found this 100% successful. No nasties in software either !

Brian.

todays

i,m hoping one of them's the jack.

Attachments

• DSC01526.JPG
    DSC01526.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC01527.JPG
    DSC01527.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC01528.JPG
    DSC01528.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01545.JPG
    DSC01545.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 104
glady's shoplifters

strangely enough one fella turns up quite regularly in both pictures!

Attachments

• DSC01536.JPG
    DSC01536.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC01543.JPG
    DSC01543.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 193
Final work-party on the Flashes - at least 23 attended and worked very hard to get all the work done, which we managed to do despite some half-wit strimming too close to the fox-fencing and creating more holes :eek!:

John has the 'before' pictures but, as yet, no 'after' pics. Thinks we'll have to wait until Tuesday for those, but I can say the whole area is looking good and hopefully spring migration will kick in shortly.

Birds seen todat during work-time were few and far between - one Shelduck briefly, three Oystercatchers during the lunch-break, when there were also two Ravens over, c.15 Teal and an unspecified nyumber of Snipe during the walk-round to check the fencing (I'm sure John will provide numbers).

WE went over to the Moors Pool for the final hour and a half, which sadly didn't provide any views of the Bittern, although it had apparently showed earlier in the day. Wildfowl count on the Moors (unless stated) was - Mute Swan 2 (plus 4 on the Sailing Pool), Canada Geese few (plus 18 briefly on the Flashes, Greylag Goose c.18 over the Flashes, Shelduck 2, Gadwall 3 (although we didn't go to the east hide), Mallard (uncounted), Teal 20 (plus 30 on Hen Brook), Shoveler 19, Pochard 20, Tufted Duck 28, Great Crested Grebe 4, Little Grebe 1. One Avocet departed shortly after we arrived, no doubt heading back to the Flashes. Most of the Cormorants had left to roost by the time we arrived at the Moors, so only saw one, Coot and Moorhen were uncounted, there were c.150 Black-headed Gulls in a pre-roost, plus a pair of LBB Gulls. The feeders held a minimum of 12 Reed Buntings, 2 o3 Chaffinches, a pair of Bullfinches, 5 LT Tits, a few each of Blue & Great Tits, 4-5 Dunnocks, a Robin, male & 2 female Pheasant and a brief appearance from a Water Rail. Rattus numbered only 2. A few winter thrushes were seen over the barn conversions and a Kestrel cruised through.

Here follows a couple of posts with pictures from today...

Attachments

• WP1.jpg
    WP1.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 167
  • WP2.jpg
    WP2.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 130
  • WP3.jpg
    WP3.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 137
  • WP4.jpg
    WP4.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 137
Pt II...

Attachments

• WP5.jpg
    WP5.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 138
  • WP6.jpg
    WP6.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 162
  • WP7.jpg
    WP7.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 181
  • WP8.jpg
    WP8.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 136
FINAL WORK PARTY at FLASHES

Wow!!! what a turn out. 24 of us and this without our leader Phil (on canaries).
Thanks to everyone for a great effort, we really pushed the boat out today - well Ian and Si literally did. A special mention to Gemma for giving up her birthday and shopkeeper Mary, for the great service (even though it would appear that a bit of shoplifting took place:-O:-O.
The work today included:-
1. cutting grass short in front and either side of hide and removing cuttings.
2. pruning thorn bushes to north of hide to improve viewing and opening up
the area.
3. clearing all the breeding islands and 'freshening' them up.
4. repaired holes in fox fence
5. extending the overhang of the fox fence (nice job Ian and Matt;))
6. dug out the encroaching phragmites from 'delta' area.
7. pruning back some of the overhanging thorn bushes along the western
hedgerow.
8. cutting back part of the blackthorn thicket in front of the oak tree to stop
magpies nesting.
I just hope the birds appreciate all we have done for them.:t:

thanks to you all, Phil will be well pleased.;)
Ian (muntjac)and Matt, Mary (Gladys) and Tim, Si (hairy birder) and Guy(not so hairy birder), Janette (Janette 55), Gemma, Phil Q, Graham L, Glenn (GH1), Trace (binus 63), Paul (lesser kestrel), Tony H, Paul H (beyonder), Peter E, Derek, SyV, Paul C (oriole boy), Gary P (biking birder), Des J (UW82), Dave W (woodchat), and last but not least Mike (wheatearlp).
Well have a good rest and see you in the autumn for the work party. But hopefully throughout the coming months birding. I have all your mobiles so you will be the first to know when the birds start appearing B :) John

unfortunately I didn't take any 'after' pictures will do it on Tuesday and post them on here.

Last edited:
Glad to see you have retrieved your pics.Might I suggest you look at software called Recuva. Free of charge from software producer called Piriform. I have found this 100% successful. No nasties in software either !

Brian.

Noted - thanks Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back