• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (115 Viewers)

Had a late start, as I had a meeting with the Trust and wetland expert, who is going to survey the Flashes.

Moors
GCG 4, little grebe 3, Shoveler 6 (3 prs), Teal male, shelduck male, tufted 38, Oystercatcher 2, LRP 2, Lapwing 3, snipe 2, common sand 2,herring gull, kingfisher along drainage ditch behind tool shed.
cettis warbler, sedge warbler 3, reed warbler 4, blackcap, chiffchaff 3, redpoll 4, linnet overhead - where unusual,

FLASHES:
Teal fem, gadwall pr, shelduck pr, tufted 3, coot 6, mute swan pr, Avocet 25, snipe, LRP 6, green sand, common sand 3, black tailed godwit 5, oystercatcher pr, BHG 200, green woodpecker, stock dove 6, swallow 2, sand martin 3, linnet 2

HEN POOL and adjacent scrub
coot 2, great sp woodp, reed warbler 2, sedge warbler, blackcap, chiffchaff, reed bunting 3,
SAILING POOL
lesser whitethroat, whitethroat on bramble bank of car park

Last edited:
LRP pair in evening light (18:40) display was ignored!

Attachments

• 1. LRP pair.jpg
    1. LRP pair.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 2. LRP male.jpg
    2. LRP male.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 67
  • 3. LRP female displaying.jpg
    3. LRP female displaying.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 74
A prolonged display of aerial prowess as the light faded.

Attachments

• BHG displaying 1.jpg
    BHG displaying 1.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 77
  • BHG displaying 2.jpg
    BHG displaying 2.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 62
  • BHG displaying 3.jpg
    BHG displaying 3.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 71
As stated by Phil, had a coal tit on the feeders at the West hide, Moors. First I've seen on the reserve for a long time. The kingforsher posed here on the yellow stick for some time too.

Butterflies still didn't include the whites although there was a nice male brimstone, 4 peacocks and a comma. Has anyone seen an orange tip. Even a large white would be new for the year!

A bit of a long shot. But there has been 2 whiskered terns in Somerset for a couple of days, this afternoon they have split up and one is heading NE. At present it is at a reservoir ESE of Gloucester. This bird has travelled 70 miles and from its present site to Upton is another 37 miles if it comes up the M58-P
so keep a look outB :) Just to add a bit more intrigue the wind is coming from the SW. Luckily we have one of the weekend regulars on holiday this week. Watch this space;)

Theres one in Darbyshire today- so maybe the second bird has flown up north.

This morning's combined sightings from myself, Dave J and Gary are as follows:
FLASHES
25 Avocet - yet another reserve record, 5 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Lapwing, 3 LRP, 2 common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper reported, 2 Shelduck, 4 Tufted Duck, 3 Coot, 5 Moorhen, 2 LBB Gull, 9 Stock Dove, 2 Canada Geese, 4 Mute Swan - pairs on first Flash and third Flash, female Redstart reported in footpath hedge, Common Whitethroat right on hide
Sunday 21st April
Phil
Glenn H told me that there were 2 coal tits at the Flashes on Sunday, I think he said they were by the Hen Pool.

Reports of Male Pied Fly in N Moors plantation. Now you're talking!

And its been singing! A just reward to the hours put in by Dave Jackson over the last five days and the Tuesday work party over the last few years in rejuvinating this corner of the reserve

I still havent received any formal confirmation that our wing-tagged Marsh Harrier is from the Tay Estuary scheme. However I have been alerted by the schemes in the Low Countries of a bird with a similar tag which was photographed in recent days at Spurn: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spurn.../pages/Spurn-Bird-Observatory/201601189880071

If anyone has any contacts at Spurn (Israel / Chris T?) can they ask the obs what they find out about the tagging scheme.

Hi Phil,

Spurn bird is a Norfolk bird, just not that clear in the photo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back