• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (138 Viewers)

Arrived just after 7.30am this morning the weather a little overcast but mild and even before I could get my camera and bins out I managed to see a Whitethroat on the sailing club car park, where I decided to head straight to the flashes and do the Sailing pool count a little later.

At the Flashes (tower hide) I was surprised to see no one was tier but hey what a day they missed the Black Tailed Godwits were in and out for a few hours (think this could have been due to a Kestrel showing interest in them) , a Green Sandpiper never returned after the first fly by from the kestrel and then the Sanderling arrived (08.55) a wonderful bird after a few minutes it left heading back towards the Moors but did return after around 10 minutes this time to be joined by a Dunlin.
After doing my counts I had noticed a few smaller birds moving around the Islands a White Wagtail and 3 Little Ringed Plovers which were moving from Island to Island at pace this morning didn’t seem to settle at all.

Only managed to see one Lapwing I would have thought they may have returned by now but here’s still hoping did notice many insects around and just before I left the hide a few Swallows and Sand Martins were flying across the pool.

Heading back towards the Sailing pool I managed to see a few Warblers mainly Willow and Sedge with quite a few Chiffchaff at the entrance to the Flashes counts and full list will follow at end of this little ditto.

Sailing Pool was a nice surprise today 3 Common Sandpiper were the highlight until (a lifer for me) the Artic Tern turned up in the afternoon plenty of Whitethroat and Blackcaps around the entrance to the flashes on the sailing pool side today.

Onto the Salwarpe walk through now and what a change from my last visit this place was alive Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, wrens, finches and for a change butterfliesPeacock, Brimstone, Orange tip, Small White, small blue also ladybirds both red & black bodied.

As for insects they were everywhere looks like being another busy one in this wonderful little area again this year.

Now for the Moors not quite as lively bird species wise as the Flashes but did manage a lifer with the Whinchat also heard the Grasshopper Warbler & Cetti’s Warbler but didn’t connect with the camera, did have 2 Common Sandpiper drop in around 1pm (I wonder if these were the guys moving around on the flashes earlier).

It was great to see that Spring was actually arriving with many trees and bushes now showing signs of budding and the reeds actually turning green again round the North moors there were even Forget Me Not’s in flower also just around by lifestyles

I would like to thank everyone for their help today and especially to the gentleman with the scope in the new hide (on the moors) for letting me look through to see the whinchat.

TODAYS COUNTS –

FLASHES POOLS (7.55am) –

Blackbird, Robin, Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blue tit, Linnet, Great tit, Reed bunting, Song thrush, Mallard (14), Coot (11), Moorhen (5), Magpie, Wood pigeon, Shelduck (2), Black headed gull (250+), Tufted duck (4), Little ringed plover (3), Black tailed godwit (5), Lesser black backed gull (3), Avocet (25), White wagtail, Sanderlin (1), Dunlin (1), Mute swan (2), Canada goose (5), Green sandpiper (1), Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Oystercatcher (1), Swallow, Grey heron, Carrion crow, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Sand martin

SAILING POOL (10.10) –

Great crested grebe (7), Mallard (6), Canada goose (7), Coot (2), Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Common Sandpiper (3), Black headed gull (14), Blackbird, Robin, Swallow (7), Sand martin (3) got these counts as they rested on the wires just by the outdoor barbi, Artic tern (later in the day)

MOORS POOLS (11.20) –

Robin, Wood pigeon, Blackcap, Blackbird, Long tailed tit, Wren, Great tit, Common sandpiper (2),Mallard (11), Canada goose (23), Moorhen (9), Lesser black backed gull (6), Black headed gull (140+), Tufted duck (37), Blue tit, Reed bunting, Magpie, Bullfinch, Whinchat, Dunnock, Pheasant, Kestrel, Peregrine falcon, Shoveler (2 pairs), Lapwing (1), Teal (1 pair), Coot (36), Shelduck (2), Oystercatcher (2 pairs), Little grebe (2), Great crested grebe (4), Kingfisher, Gadwall (1pair), Cormorant (5), Cetti’s warbler (heard), Carrion crow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Jay, Grasshopper warbler (heard), Buzzard

Brilliant to hear of some whites [butterflies] at last. Can I just point out that the small blue was probably a holly blue. :t:

Keep the lists coming. Great...

I Knew It Couldn't Last....

Dave J has broken 'crofty juniors' (Paul C, aka oriole boy) record of 81 species in a day. Well done mate you certainly have put in the hours and thoroughly deserve it.
Now Paul no excuses, back in the field a bit more, to regain your title.:t:
At this rate Dave's :king:annual record total could be at risk, although Jarad is also steaming along.
With another 5 year ticks today I am on 110 for the year at Upton.

OMG!! - WHAT AN ABSOLUTE STONKING DAY AT THE MECCA!!

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE!!

As Jon say's, it's well deserved mate, I know you've put in some serious hours over the years. We will have a roll of honour on the all-dayer where i will officially hand over my top day-lister crown. However, I will be guns-a-blazing to get it back off you by the end of the day!

Any chance of your day list being published? And what was today's reserve list by the way?

OMG!! - WHAT AN ABSOLUTE STONKING DAY AT THE MECCA!!

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE!!

As Jon say's, it's well deserved mate, I know you've put in some serious hours over the years. We will have a roll of honour on the all-dayer where i will officially hand over my top day-lister crown. However, I will be guns-a-blazing to get it back off you by the end of the day!

Any chance of your day list being published? And what was today's reserve list by the way?

Very magnanimous Paul :t:. Dave has put his list on Bird Track I will try and get it, its in PDF apparently.
Dave has seen 91 species since Saturday and is going for the 100 in the week.

I will put my list on in the next 24 hours-min of 200!

Des.

Hi Des,

The other members of the Wednesday crew must also have decent UW lists - Mike Inskip, John Ridley, John Sirret and Bob Power. Some of whom were visiting Upton before it was a WWT reserve.

For instance John R found the Richards Pipit in the late 60's (a real blocker for us relative newbies) plus heard Corncrake in the early 70's etc.

Just looked up my own current list - 192 seen and 1 heard only (Golden Oriole).

Hi Des,

The other members of the Wednesday crew must also have decent UW lists - Mike Inskip, John Ridley, John Sirret and Bob Power. Some of whom were visiting Upton before it was a WWT reserve.

For instance John R found the Richards Pipit in the late 60's (a real blocker for us relative newbies) plus heard Corncrake in the early 70's etc.

Just looked up my own current list - 192 seen and 1 heard only (Golden Oriole).

One of the above has a very good list!

Des.

As everyone else will go for the new species I thought I would just pop a few others on here.

OOH and some good news today in one way anyway my Rowan trees have arrived I have 10 to plant this weekend

1 - Sandpiper
2 - Swallow & Sand martins on the sailing pool
3 - Sand Martin
4 - Blackcap

Attachments

• ZZZ_0633.JPG
    ZZZ_0633.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 72
  • ZZZ_0890.JPG
    ZZZ_0890.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 64
  • ZZZ_0928.JPG
    ZZZ_0928.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 75
  • ZZZ_0941.JPG
    ZZZ_0941.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 58
Daves record day list

This from Dave
Missed one or two reasonably common birds – Sparrowhawk for starters, Mistle Thrush, Grey Wagtail, Cuckoo, Treecreeper. Maybe would have got Curlew and Green Sandpiper if stopped to dusk.

For reserve day list; missed Green Sandpiper, a Cuckoo seen on North Moors this morning. Surely someone saw a Sparrowhawk. Got to be over 85 i would think.

Attachments

• Upton Warren - 25-04-13 - 0555 - 1900.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 73
Arrived at the Moors at 19.00 to be told that the Whinchat hadn't been showing for a while. Nevertheless I headed up to the concrete hide and, aftre about ten minutes, found the Whinchat perched half-way up a reed-mace stem. Typically it disappeared just as another chap arrived, but it reappeared for a couple of minutes which was the other guy's 150th species at Upton. I headed off to the lashes, picking up the Arctic Tern over the Sailing Pool on the way. It was getting very dark by the time I arrived at the tower hide, but I managed to find two Dunlin, the Sanderling and one Ringed Plover, all Upton year-ticks. There were 24 Avocets, five Black-tailed Godwits, three Common Sandpipers, four Little Ringed Plovers, three Oystercatchers, a Shelduck and a female Teal. Finally a Whimbrel appeared about 20.30, which seemed to have settled in to roost with the godwits when I left just before 21.00.

Mike

LISTS, LISTS, LISTS....

I hope the viewers don't think we're obsessed with who has seen how many more birds than anybody else, it's all just harmless fun (at Upton Warren at least).

However, the beauty of a little bit of friendly rivalry and banter is that it may just make you think about checking out a corner of the reserve that you were going to walk straight past, and who knows what you may find.....A rare bird is way more than a trophy to add to your list and brag about, it's also a migratory phenomena with the added bonus of being a potential money-spinner to bring funds to the reserve.

First and foremost, just enjoy the birds, common or rare and remember, the more you put in, the more you get out

Dave J has broken 'crofty juniors' (Paul C, aka oriole boy) record of 81 species in a day. Well done mate you certainly have put in the hours and thoroughly deserve it.

Well done, Dave. It's a great achievement. Also thanks for pointing me towards two birds that were life ticks for me.

Peter

Re blue butterflies on the wing this month:-

I have seen one each of holly blue and common blue in my Worcester garden in the last week (the first blues I have seen this year), so I wouldn't discount common blue.

Re blue butterflies on the wing this month:-

I have seen one each of holly blue and common blue in my Worcester garden in the last week (the first blues I have seen this year), so I wouldn't discount common blue.

This is a very important observation, Janner Falcon. Please notify Butterfly Conservation if you have a confirmed Common Blue. This would be the first UK record in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back