• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (124 Viewers)

2 pics from yesterday

1. 1st summer common gull
2. tundra ringed plover

Attachments

• 1st summ comon gull may13.JPG
    1st summ comon gull may13.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 80
  • tundra RP DSCF7383 (2).JPG
    tundra RP DSCF7383 (2).JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 103
Dismal evening with sporadic heavy showers didn't make for easy viewing.
Flashes;
One multi-limbed avocet patiently hunkered down - the rest of the chicks were out and about and very clearly on their way to becoming independent.
One little ringed plover was sitting it out on the caged nest - there appeared to be three others in the offing, but kept flitting about.
Oyster catcher also sitting tight.
A pair of linnets was commuting between the green stretch directly in front of the hide and the hawthorn tree.
Black-headed gull chicks were quite entertaining.
Moors:
Pair of Canada geese shepherded 17 (3 older) quite well developed goslings down the green path from the telegraph pole to the gate behind the E hide. Two other pairs had 3 and 5 goslings on the water in front of the hide.
Great-crested grebes from in front of the hide now appear to have only three chicks, but these are learning to dive and fend for themselves quite well.
Swans still have 5 cygnets.
Three eggs clearly visible on island left of domed one - presumably Canada goose.
The main shingle island still has two common terns on it and the one to the right and in front had 3 on it. One female from each gained the attention of a/the same male.

1. & 2. Different matings of terns (can't see from this pic, but we think the female in 1. could be an Arctic).
3. Oyster catcher chick (living in peace tonight!).
4.Three wise monkeys? BHG chicks posing as baby penguins.

Attachments

• Image1a.jpg
    Image1a.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Image2a.jpg
    Image2a.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0533b.jpg
    IMG_0533b.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0499b.jpg
    IMG_0499b.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 68
My personal view is this thread is near perfect - it combines rapid news of rarities, regular detailed updates (would be great if that was on a daily basis), cracking photos, history of the reserve, background of the species occurring (past and present), work party activities, future proposals etc etc. It is contributed to by many of the regular watchers of the reserve past and present and has helped develop a real "community feel" amongst Upton Warren birders and those who visit on a less regular basis; the fact that this is the most visiting and contributed to single-site thread on Bird Forum speaks volumes.

and don't forget the site's real jewel - the bar-charts.

Peter

John...upstarts ...has taken the numbers and might have informed the police....they were a white one and red one.no-one in red but whites lights on and looked steamed up...oo ah mrs...
Keith.

Thanks Keith for passing on all the info. Logs are being kept of any incidents/suspicious behaviour. Think those two might be more romantic than criminal.

Rob

1st summer common gull (Upstarts pic)

John
thanks for posting your pics , especially the 1st summer common gull. I photographed it yesterday (29th) around 18.51 for your records. It was standing around in front of Pool Island for quite a while before flying left and closer to the West hide side. Wasn't sure what it was at the time so you've helped yet again. Ambition now is to find a mature common gull!

Does anyone have a pic of a baby little grebe please so that I know what I'm supposed to be looking for? Thanks in anticipation.
Phil

sorry no report as I am currently laid up for a little longer had my knee pumped full of pain killer the other day was hoping to make my usual day but it was a no goer, am still a little wobbly but should be there Monday and then back to normal next week.

That’s better back on my computer and not the laptop, forgot the laptop as the old log in have now changed it to the new one.

Just a quick update from my area (Halesowen) there has been quite a few sightings of Red Kites over the last few days as anyone picked up on any around the Upton area.
Also I have had some great views of young birds on my feeders and a Badger made an appearance on Wednesday evening again.

Still got the Zebra finches hanging around saw them yesterday on the seed feeder and then they were chased off by a magpie.

Here’s hoping you all have a great birding weekend.

............... from my area (Halesowen) there has been quite a few sightings of Red Kites over the last few days as anyone picked up on any around the Upton area.

Not sure any have been reported from Upton recently but I saw one on Monday over my patch - 5 miles to the south of UW - and Wayne reported one in virtually the same area (Westwood area) yesterday. Other reports in the past week include one at Marsh Lane, one elsewhere in the West Mids and one in Warks (plus one or two in Staffs).

Obviously, a few milling around still - always great to see, :t:

That’s better back on my computer and not the laptop, forgot the laptop as the old log in have now changed it to the new one.

Just a quick update from my area (Halesowen) there has been quite a few sightings of Red Kites over the last few days as anyone picked up on any around the Upton area.
Also I have had some great views of young birds on my feeders and a Badger made an appearance on Wednesday evening again.

Still got the Zebra finches hanging around saw them yesterday on the seed feeder and then they were chased off by a magpie.

Here’s hoping you all have a great birding weekend.

There were a couple of reports of Red Kite in the Harborne area of Birmingham a few weeks ago which might relate to the same birds(s).

Des.

Red kites.............might be an idea to use a bit of discretion as it is breeding season.

Red car, white car.............might be a romantic liaison, might not but I think we should exercise zero tolerance with regards to any form of anti social behaviour.

Red kites.............might be an idea to use a bit of discretion as it is breeding season.

Yes it's breeding season - but no one has alluded to any breeding birds or sites. All the records mentioned are already published on websites such as Birding Today. No problems....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back