• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

The photostream is racing along..I have posted on there a note about tagging photo's before submitting..It's new to me too..but it needs doing to make the pool search better, only takes a second to add birds or dragonflies to the tag line..as I cannot create sets

I did about 90 yesterday that were not tagged (including my own) so if folks could have a look at that it will speed up there inclusion in the pool. Forgetfulelephants pics all seem tagged:t:

The other thing is, and this may happen to those using elements, that unuselful tags like.. elements, in focus, etc are best deleted as I think the most common tags wil eventually show on the page as a method of searching, which will be nice as it work then just be like a set.

there is a place to discuss it on our group pool if any one has questions

cheers
Mark
I notice if you use the link at the bottom of your post it only shows 3 pages, if I sign in all 4 show. Why does that happen? Is it because they haven't been tagged. All 4 of mine are not open to non flicker account holders, what am I doing wrong? I will add some more later.
B :)John

i've had same probs

Bloody . Uploaded a dozen. Spent about 60 minutes with names descriptions and tags and promptly lost the bloody lot!

what i've found is do half a dozen at a time been trying to go through all my pics to upload on to my flickr page got 60 or 70 ready and the bloody thing froze trouble is you lose track of what you 'd done and the laptop goes up in the air!

Mark
I notice if you use the link at the bottom of your post it only shows 3 pages, if I sign in all 4 show. Why does that happen? Is it because they haven't been tagged. All 4 of mine are not open to non flicker account holders, what am I doing wrong? I will add some more later.

See what you mean John. I don't think it is related to tagging, because I have tagged your pics, and that just ensures they show up if you search the pool by'work party'..and when logged in that works

My best guess would be it is more likely to be related to how the Flickr servers update, and they will appear eventually, ..but I am guessing...we will just have to monitor it and see I think

Thanks for the feedback folks

Last edited:
Today's WeBS count was rather depressed in the foggy weather:

MOORS
3 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 8 Mute Swan, 1 Canada G, 198 Coot, 6 Moorhen, Water Rail, 18 Cormorant, 17 Tufted Duck, 16 Pochard, 45 Mallard, 20 Teal, 15 Shoveler, 3 Curlew, 1 Snipe, 15 Lapwing, 2 Kingfisher, 1 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 110 BH Gull, Sparrowhawk

FLASHES
12 Teal, 2 Mallard, 3 Moorhen, c300 Lapwing, 8 Snipe flushed, 2 LBB Gull, 35 BH Gull.

Dave had House Sparrow and male Blackcap at the Flashes earlier. If anyone had any higher wildfowl counts once the mist cleared can they let me know.

Late news from yesterday: juvenile Ruff at the Flashes.

Today's WeBS count was rather depressed in the foggy weather:

MOORS
3 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, 8 Mute Swan, 1 Canada G, 198 Coot, 6 Moorhen, Water Rail, 18 Cormorant, 17 Tufted Duck, 16 Pochard, 45 Mallard, 20 Teal, 15 Shoveler, 3 Curlew, 1 Snipe, 15 Lapwing, 2 Kingfisher, 1 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 110 BH Gull, Sparrowhawk

FLASHES
12 Teal, 2 Mallard, 3 Moorhen, c300 Lapwing, 8 Snipe flushed, 2 LBB Gull, 35 BH Gull.

Dave had House Sparrow and male Blackcap at the Flashes earlier. If anyone had any higher wildfowl counts once the mist cleared can they let me know.

Late news from yesterday: juvenile Ruff at the Flashes.

Phil can add
Moors: Little grebe 3, Shoveler 21 (5 or 6 came in early pm. Curlew 16, Herring Gull at least 20 Herrings as well as 35 LBBG all flying over.
Flashes: BHg 450 roosted.

I gave the North Moors a good working this afternoon. The habitat here looks superb for passerines, but very often disappoints. Today I tried a different approach , rather than just walk around and see what's on show, I periodically stopped for a good time and looked well in front along the trail. It certainly paid dividends, there was a good variety of species. I think the main reason is due to the massive amount of time and effort ploughed into this area in the last 12 months. The majority of birds where in the thickets running from the NW to the NE. If the birds are disturbed they double back and you miss them. Another way to approach would be to start at the chestnut tree and walk anti-clockwise. Just before you leave the wood in the NE corner start scanning the thicket this will stop the birds being flushed. The recent work will add another dimension to the area and associated with the opening up of the northern reed-bed and the adjacent rough grassland I would expect this area to turn up something good soon.
Today's list Green finch, chaffinch, bullfinch (2) goldfinch (5), Blackbird (6), Song Thrush, Redwing (7), Fieldfare, tit flock, goldcrest, dunnock, wren, robin, red bunting and water rail.

The photostream is racing along..I have posted on there a note about tagging photo's before submitting..It's new to me too..but it needs doing to make the pool search better, only takes a second to add birds or dragonflies to the tag line..as I cannot create sets

I did about 90 yesterday that were not tagged (including my own) so if folks could have a look at that it will speed up there inclusion in the pool. Forgetfulelephants pics all seem tagged:t:

The other thing is, and this may happen to those using elements, that unuselful tags like.. elements, in focus, etc are best deleted as I think the most common tags wil eventually show on the page as a method of searching, which will be nice as it work then just be like a set.

there is a place to discuss it on our group pool if any one has questions

cheers

As it seems some are having problems with uploads can I make a suggestion? I upload mine using flickr uploader not the basic one. Go to the top of your flickr page-click on upload then on the flickr tools page & download flickr uploadr. I have used this without problems for uploading large nos of pics & videos. I usually upload 'only seen by me' this allows me to put lots onto my site at once then add tags, descriptions etc either individually or by batches in 'Organise & Create' when I choose to make them public or add to a group. Bear in mind that Flickr will process your images into it's maximum size so can take quite a while to upload lots at once.

By the way the group's looking good with lots of interesting & varied images. Thanks Mark.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetfulelephant/
if you want to see what tags I have used.

Rob

Moors Pool East Hide 9.30 am

6 or 7 Common Snipe on east island - could possibly have been more as lots of activity amongst the dead weeds.
1 Jack Snipe halfway along left hand side.

Tuesday work party at North Moors

Today another well attended day with 15 of us really making in roads into the north section of the North Moors.
We split into several groups and tackled a variety of jobs including:
1. dead hedging along the NE side of the trail and from the end of the blackthorn thicket it was on both sides of the trail. Again the thorn cuttings were used on the hedge. In time these hedges will be covered in bramble, of which the hedges are already linked to.
Dave H now has a rival master hedge-layer, Mark (Hagar) with Ray C hot on their heals.
2. Another section of blackthorn in the NE corner was cut back. We are trying to cut it in a gradually inclining slope from front to back. But due to a lack of management in this area , there are many 'dead' spots without any bushes. So we had to be drastic at times, cutting to the ground. Within a couple of years this area will be thick with fresh growth.
3. The hedge around the barn owl box was cleared so when an owl appears it will have a clear flight path.
4. After we had completed our tasks, the whole group joined together to concentrate on clearing the heavily wooded seasonal pool. This area was previously choked with tall and small willows, which shade out the thorn bushes and hedgerow. All the cuttings were used to strengthen the boundary fence and hedge line.

The photos 1. Seasonal pool in June
2 & 3 seasonal pool after today's work, you can see how the shading by willows has rendered the hedgerow stunted and lifeless. It will be interesting to see if anything does grow in the barren area, which will be soon inundated by water. It is already showing signs with wet mud in abundance.
4. The north east section of the dead hedge, leading into the plantation
5. The ride in the NE blackthorn thicket.

Attachments

• seasonal pool jun 11b.jpg
    seasonal pool jun 11b.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 71
  • 1 best seasnl pool afta wrk 22nd nov11.jpg
    1 best seasnl pool afta wrk 22nd nov11.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 2 best seas pool afta wrk 22nd nov11o.jpg
    2 best seas pool afta wrk 22nd nov11o.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 64
  • best ded hdge to plantation 22nov 11.jpg
    best ded hdge to plantation 22nov 11.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 64
  • new ride in NE blkthrn 22nov11e.jpg
    new ride in NE blkthrn 22nov11e.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Birding at the Moors.
While working at the North Moors, a few siskin and redpoll went over while tit flocks passed through on several occasions, which included several goldcrests and water rails called.
I then stayed in the east hide till dark (5pm)
GCG 3, little Grebe 4, Cormorant 24, Mute swan 6, Shoveler 21, Teal 84, Wigeon pr, fem gadwall, Pochard 24, Tufted 30, lapwing 500 , green sand curlew 16 a few snipe were seen during the daylight. But just before dark, groups started calling and flew up into the night sky, their silhouette making it easy to count them. They scattered in all directions with the majority flying south ..maybe to the Flashes. They obviously use the moors to roost in and fly out at night to feed at unknown sites. The largest flock was 19 and I must have missed a few but there was a minimum of 44 birds.
Other species Redwing 100+, flocks of starling flying over towards the Flashes roost. Kingfisher,

Last edited:
Education Reserve

Hi Everyone
I don't know if you are all aware of the situation with the sailing centre, if you are not then here goes.
At present the owners Worcs County Council, are looking for interested parties to take over the running / ownership of the whole site, which includes the Education reserve.
The reason for my email is that, we have the opportunity to get involved with some of the management in the 'reserve'. As many of you know it can turn up good birds at times, namely: Golden oriole, hoopoe, yellow browed warbler and firecrest as well as some scarce species. Unfortunately time and neglect has took its toll on the site and it can be quite bird-less.
However there is a lot of potential and a bit of tweaking here and there could make a 'big' difference. There is a range of habitat, varying from a sandy heath, reed bed, swamp, emergent woodland and scrub. Most of it has reached its 'climax' and is seriously in need of management. I have spoken to John H who is in charge of management on the reserve and he has given us the OK to manage scrub and hedgerows at the beginning of the Flashes area, adjacent to their land. We will directly benefit from this by creating a mosaic of habitats in an otherwise sterile area. This trade off, whereby we take on part of their work, will hopefully open up opportunities to have the Education Reserve as an integral part of the whole area. This will provide a physical link for both birds and birders, which will ultimately improve the whole visiting experience of Upton Warren.
This Sunday 27th November as a gesture of goodwill to John H, I have organised a short work party. It will involve the removal of the bramble that is sprawling across the 'sandy heath'. Most of it is just an inch or so below the surface , so it should be fairly light work for the most part.
Baring in mind that we have our 1st Sunday in the month work party at the Flashes the following Sunday 4th December, I do not want to burn you out, so it will only be for 2 hours or so. We will start at 10.30 am until 12 or 12.30pm. It is a good opportunity to impress on John H that we are keen to get involved.
In the light of the possible ownership change, this may enable us to get our foot in the door and secure our involvement and presence in the area for the future .
The one proviso is that the Moors and Flashes will always take priority and any spare capacity could be spent here during our normal work party sessions. I time we might have the chance of acquiring the area as part of the reserve..who knows.
If you can make it meet in the sailing pool car park, if you could bring garden spades and or folks that will save me bringing too much stuff.
I will bring some garden tools so don't worry too much about that. Garden gloves and sturdy footwear (no need for wellies).
B :) John

Birding at the Moors.
While working at the North Moors, a few siskin and redpoll went over while tit flocks passed through on several occasions, which included several goldcrests and water rails called.
I then stayed in the east hide till dark (5pm)
GCG 3, little Grebe 4, Cormorant 24, Mute swan 6, Shoveler 21, Teal 84, Wigeon pr, fem gadwall, Pochard 24, Tufted 30, lapwing 500 , green sand curlew 16 a few snipe were seen during the daylight. But just before dark, groups started calling and flew up into the night sky, their silhouette making it easy to count them. They scattered in all directions with the majority flying south ..maybe to the Flashes. They obviously use the moors to roost in and fly out at night to feed at unknown sites. The largest flock was 19 and I must have missed a few but there was a minimum of 44 birds.
Other species Redwing 100+, flocks of starling flying over towards the Flashes roost. Kingfisher,

What is the situation with water levels at the flashes these days ? I have not been there for a couple of weeks because levels have been so low

Hi Everyone
I don't know if you are all aware of the situation with the sailing centre, if you are not then here goes.
At present the owners Worcs County Council, are looking for interested parties to take over the running / ownership of the whole site, which includes the Education reserve.
The reason for my email is that, we have the opportunity to get involved with some of the management in the 'reserve'. As many of you know it can turn up good birds at times, namely: Golden oriole, hoopoe, yellow browed warbler and firecrest as well as some scarce species. Unfortunately time and neglect has took its toll on the site and it can be quite bird-less.
However there is a lot of potential and a bit of tweaking here and there could make a 'big' difference. There is a range of habitat, varying from a sandy heath, reed bed, swamp, emergent woodland and scrub. Most of it has reached its 'climax' and is seriously in need of management. I have spoken to John H who is in charge of management on the reserve and he has given us the OK to manage scrub and hedgerows at the beginning of the Flashes area, adjacent to their land. We will directly benefit from this by creating a mosaic of habitats in an otherwise sterile area. This trade off, whereby we take on part of their work, will hopefully open up opportunities to have the Education Reserve as an integral part of the whole area. This will provide a physical link for both birds and birders, which will ultimately improve the whole visiting experience of Upton Warren.
This Sunday 27th November as a gesture of goodwill to John H, I have organised a short work party. It will involve the removal of the bramble that is sprawling across the 'sandy heath'. Most of it is just an inch or so below the surface , so it should be fairly light work for the most part.
Baring in mind that we have our 1st Sunday in the month work party at the Flashes the following Sunday 4th December, I do not want to burn you out, so it will only be for 2 hours or so. We will start at 10.30 am until 12 or 12.30pm. It is a good opportunity to impress on John H that we are keen to get involved.
In the light of the possible ownership change, this may enable us to get our foot in the door and secure our involvement and presence in the area for the future .
The one proviso is that the Moors and Flashes will always take priority and any spare capacity could be spent here during our normal work party sessions. I time we might have the chance of acquiring the area as part of the reserve..who knows.
If you can make it meet in the sailing pool car park, if you could bring garden spades and or folks that will save me bringing too much stuff.
I will bring some garden tools so don't worry too much about that. Garden gloves and sturdy footwear (no need for wellies).
B :) John

That sounds interesting John, I think it is a good idea to keep everybody sweet, ultmately my interest lies in the welfare and improvement of habitats for the benefit of species diversity.

Count me in this sunday, I'm sure Hayley will help out too :t:

Cheers Gav:t:
have you got fol or spade if not I will make sure I have enough. We have to be careful with the digging as there are important plant communities on the sand, thus the need to remove bramble. Ironic really because we are trying to encourage it around the north Moors.
see you SundayB :)John

Last edited:
Cheers Gav:t:
have you got fol or spade if not I will make sure I have enough. We have to be careful with the digging as there are important plant communities on the sand, thus the need to remove bramble. Ironic really because we are trying to encourage around the north Moors.
see you SundayB :)John

You're welcome John, sorry but I have no garden implements at all :-C

Count me in John - have spade, will travel..
Although slight caveat as I'm serving at a beer festival in Rowney Green on Saturday and they're paying me in beer. If I get paid really well I may not make it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back