• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

whats this ?

Anyone tell me what this is - very like a chaffinch but with a white face - and very gnarly legs ! Not great pics - it was quite a distance away and poor light (raining)

Attachments

• whats this.jpg
    whats this.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 130
  • whats this-2.jpg
    whats this-2.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 123
  • whats this-3.jpg
    whats this-3.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 101
  • whats this-4.jpg
    whats this-4.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 111
Anyone tell me what this is - very like a chaffinch but with a white face - and very gnarly legs ! Not great pics - it was quite a distance away and poor light (raining)

I saw exactly the same type of bird over at Hilliers yesterday!!! I'm having a stab at the dark at a chaffinch but the white threw me!

sad day for the first laying Avo today parents tried hard but could not stop the greedy begger:C:C:C:C

Attachments

• DSC_4859.jpg
    DSC_4859.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 148
Here's what Birdguides said of Vern's photo:-

Vern Wright has been posting to BirdGuides for less than six months, but has already uploaded some excellent images taken around the English Midlands. This week, thanks to an arresting portrait of a Firecrest taken in Warwickshire, he becomes the seventh photographer in 10 weeks to receive his first Photo of the Week. Photos of 'crest' species are always popular but, with the brilliant orange head plumes of this bird caught raised and glowing amid the muted green backdrop, it was no surprise that the thumbs-up and comments came flooding in. We're looking forward to seeing more of Vern's work over the coming months.

Well done vern. Upton Warren's taught you all you know. Proud to know you mate.:king:

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Snipe (8)----------------------Avocet (1) from Flashes.
Oystercatcher (4)-------------Shoveler (12)
Teal (6)-----------------------Pochard (2f)
Gadwall (6)--------------------Tufted Duck (54)
Little Grebe (4)----------------Herring Gull (18)
L Redpoll (6)-------------------Cetti's Warbler (eastside)
Cormorant (5)------------------Swallow (reported a m and present this evening)
Greylag Goose (3)--------------Shelduck (1)
Chiffchaff (2)Shelduck

FLASHES:
Avocet (26)--------------------Curlew (2)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------LRP
Lapwing (2) reported-----------Shelduck (8)
Tufted Duck (7)----------------Teal (8)
B H Gull (c700)

SAILING POOL:
Tufted Duck (26)---------------Little Egret (flying SW at 18.20)

Des.

As much as I thought it was a brilliant image and the opportunity was taken to get it I thought the general consensus was it was taken while someone was playing a tape of one to get it to show.
I visited the site on an evening and suddenly heard it singing just as 2 togs were slowly walking onto the scene.
So what you say...well I CANNOT even here a Dunnock singing its heart out about 3-4 metres away - and for me to hear a Firecrest at about 10 times the distance surely its a bit strange.The 2 people said it was the firecrest and it had been heard but they could not locate it.....it was located on the other end of the site later with no singing from it or a tape. The chap who spotted it had been there most of the day and I saw the pics he had just taken...it was the Firecrest.....no enlarged crest though.

Was it decided whether a song was being played on that day or not,and Vern just innocently got his shots then as I might have if it had come out of hiding for the lure....LOL

This is not meant to be "catty" or anything but as people think it was over excited it could be seen to be glorifying the tape playing.
Not being experienced enough to know but could this be a normal thing for a Firecrest this time of year.

Keith :t:

........... and very gnarly legs! .............)

Have seen a number of instances of this recently in different places.
I understand that it is specific to chaffinches and bullfinches.
It is only at post mortem that the cause can be determined as virus or parasite since the resulting deformity is identical for both. It is apparently ultimately a killer. This bird looks as though it is in the late stages (could account for its overall deformed appearance....though not the white face).

1 & 2. Bullfinches viewed from UW west hide on 23rd March - the male's claws and legs were thick and crusty - just visible here. The female spent much of its time fluttering in front of perches but rarely landing - you can just make out the RH leg as a white blob.
3 & 4. Female chaffinch found at Batsford arboretum on 4th March.

Attachments

• IMG_0295a.jpg
    IMG_0295a.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0312a.jpg
    IMG_0312a.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8253a.jpg
    IMG_8253a.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8470a.jpg
    IMG_8470a.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
As much as I thought it was a brilliant image and the opportunity was taken to get it I thought the general consensus was it was taken while someone was playing a tape of one to get it to show.
I visited the site on an evening and suddenly heard it singing just as 2 togs were slowly walking onto the scene.
So what you say...well I CANNOT even here a Dunnock singing its heart out about 3-4 metres away - and for me to hear a Firecrest at about 10 times the distance surely its a bit strange.The 2 people said it was the firecrest and it had been heard but they could not locate it.....it was located on the other end of the site later with no singing from it or a tape. The chap who spotted it had been there most of the day and I saw the pics he had just taken...it was the Firecrest.....no enlarged crest though.

Was it decided whether a song was being played on that day or not,and Vern just innocently got his shots then as I might have if it had come out of hiding for the lure....LOL

This is not meant to be "catty" or anything but as people think it was over excited it could be seen to be glorifying the tape playing.
Not being experienced enough to know but could this be a normal thing for a Firecrest this time of year.

Keith :t:

Be sure to let me know inspector Keith when you find out and maybe the people who are worrying over this can finally get some sleep.I really didnt know you were so passionate about my photos 3:)

I though it was on here that the discussion about this was but I have just gone into detective mode and it was in fact on Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire and it seemed to be that it was not the right thing to do.

I admitted to playing a crap phone recording of a green woodpecker some years back just after it was said it was a good way to attract wildlife on one of the BBC "watch" progs.....I got a right tattering off everyone.......and I was just wanting to see one.

It seems that official people/groups find it O.K. to do it so as per usual there are more grey areas than a crap best selling series of novels.

As I said the pics are great and well done for nabbing them...I just wonder what would happen if someone was luring the Bittern out of the reeds at you know where...........

keith :t:

A brief visit 2 and half hours.
Flashes: Avocet 25. Oycs 2. LRP. Teal 10. Gadwall 4. Shelduck 4. Tufted 10. Peregrine 2 on masts. Herring gull 6 . BHG 400. Stock dove 2. Linnet 2. Meadow pipit over north.

SailingPool: mute swan 7. Tufted 23. Coot 8. Cettis singing - differentto Moors bird.

Moors; GCG 5. Little grebe 4. Greylag pr. Shoveler 16. Teal 4. Gadwall pr. Shelduck pr. Pochard 2 fem. Snipe 1. Oycstercatcher 4. Sand martin 12. ( earlier Vern and Jarad had c50 + swallow). Redpoll. Cettis singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back