• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

The following Black headed gull ring was seen on the sailing pool on the 06th October 2RNJ on a yellow back ground ring

Also is this a white wagtail it wasn't taken at Upton but I have found it in a file labelled Upton?

Attachments

• WAGTAIL (32).JPG
    WAGTAIL (32).JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 66
Won't be down at uptonwarren tomorrow as I've just got back from Spurn after twitching the Siberian Accentor. So if someone can update the forum that would be appreciated. If you find a bird that looks like this then give me a call8-P
Put the photo off my camera on now

Attachments

• Sibe Accentor DSCF6977.jpg
    Sibe Accentor DSCF6977.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The following Black headed gull ring was seen on the sailing pool on the 06th October 2RNJ on a yellow back ground ring

Also is this a white wagtail it wasn't taken at Upton but I have found it in a file labelled Upton?

Hi Adrian - this bird had been recorded earlier in the year, at the Flashes on the 20th August. It was ringed as an adult at Pitsea Landfill, Essex on the 23rd January 2016; there have been no other records of this bird.

Here's another for you Phil . Record number of gulls on a year 11 so far this year.;)

Given that there are only 14 gull species on the reserve list, this year features rather highly!

=1. 2016 - 11 gull species
=1. 2014 - 11
=3. 2009 - 10
=3. 1994 - 10
=3. 1996 - 10
=3. 2015 - 10

Let's get looking for that Caspian and break the record! B :)

And that will be a lifer for me. I turned my back on a claimed one at Spurn yesterday...as this species is almost certainly going to be the only lifer I could get at the reserve...unless something outrageously rare turns up8-P

Can`t see you in the queue, John! They are like buses, you dont see one for ages, then TWO come along together.;)

All the best
Richard

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF4597.JPG
    New_1_DSCF4597.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 121
Unfortanately working since it arrived so tomorrow finally presents an opportunity to go for the Siberian Accentor early doors or upon news. If anyone fancies it who hasn't had the chance to go as yet, drop me a PM.

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm or correct my views on a couple of geese at The Moors this afternoon.

1. Greylag x Canada hybrid?
2. Farmyard?

Attachments

• Greylag x Canada.jpg
    Greylag x Canada.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Farmyard.jpg
    Farmyard.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 108
From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

Jack Snipe, Little Egret, Green Sandpiper, Common Gull, 123 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, 2 Pochard, 11 Curlew, 8 Redwing, 27 Snipe, 8 Skylark, 5 Meadow Pipit. Also 3 Otters.

WeBS count to follow.

Last edited:
pics from the flashes this evening Gull photos taken as a panaramic view another 500+ large gulls arrived after these pics were taken.

Attachments

• IMG_4167.JPG
    IMG_4167.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4175.JPG
    IMG_4175.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4176.JPG
    IMG_4176.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4177.JPG
    IMG_4177.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 21
Today's WeBS counts courtesy of Dave J (Moors Pool only):

Mute Swan 7, Canada Goose 226, Greylag Goose 15, Gadwall 3, Shoveler 123, Mallard 38, Pochard 2, Tufted D 5, Teal 56, GC Grebe 1, Little Grebe 6, Cormorant 26, Grey Heron 2, Little Egret 1, Coot 50, Moorhen 10, Water Rail 5, Lapwing 206, Curlew 11, Jack Snipe 1, Snipe 27, Green Sandpiper 1, BH Gull 150, Common Gull 1, Herring Gull 35, LBB Gull 24, Kingfisher 2

Last edited:
Roost tonight at Flashes.
This was by far the largest roost of the Autumn. 4200+.
Which consisted of 2000 large gulls. (55% LBBG ). . 5 Yellow-legged Gull all ads. 7 min common gulls all varying phases of juv-1st winter plumage. BHG 2200.
With so much gull activity we neglected most of the other species .
Of note at Flashes :
Little grebe. teal 45. gadwall 2. Wigeon 2 grazing. coot c20. Curlew 18. Snipe 9. lapwing 200+. Green sand came into roost.
Little Owl again on Sagebury farm barn.
Kestrel. buzzard 2. Raven. stock dove 65.
Redwing 15. Cetti's Warbler.

Moors Yesterday

Spent a good 2 hours in and around the North Moors. Very quiet and there appears to be a clear out of the late warblers. A tit flock contained 3 goldcrest, but that was all - not quite Spurn standards 8-P. Also seen were song thrush, chaffinch . Heard water rail and cetti's warbler.
Nothing to add to Dave's Webs counts
On pool 2 male Pochard and loads of shoveler. c80 redwing over A38.

Work party Tuesday Moors and Flashes Wednesday

Tomorrow at Amy's marsh we will be completing the pool island rejuvenation - shoring up the 'pool' bank and clearing the main southern islands. Plus smaller jobs.
Also a strong rumour of a cake appearance tomorrow lemon and drizzle in same sentence:eat:
AMMENDMENT: Just been informed - BAKING was a DISASTER cake abandoned and given to the cat.:-C any other takers/ bakers
On WEDNESDAY at Flashes
Neil will be treating some more Phragmites. This will probably start around 10ish.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back