• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

First winter Caspian Gull at the Flashes until 5:15pm when flew north - Matt's BOC image linked here
https://twitter.com/Fuzeare/status/835529452968886272?s=03

Thr Flashes roost held 1800+ BH Gull, 2 adult Med Gulls, c500 large gulls (probably 425 LBB and 75 Herring - all very skittish), 20 Curlew and 3 Green Sand. The Barn Owl again appeared along the Hen Brook behind the first Flash at 6:15pm.

10 GC Grebe on the Sailing Pool as per Mike W

What an evening!
Dropped into the Moors Pool briefly. 9 Pochard, Cettis, 4 Gadwall and 2 Shelduck, but didnt make it to the hide. Met Matt S on the causeway before heading down to the flashes for the roost.
We had just walked in, set up, with a few Gulls already assembled. Mostly BHG but around 20 large Gulls. Having a quick scan through them at c4:15 I was instantly struck by a very pale headed bird that just screamed Caspian!
After a few minutes watching, news was passed out. The best age of Caspian IMO, but this bird was very worn with most of its wing feathers bleached and worn. Nice shawl too. Photos were passed out, and the identity confirmed. My first UW Caspian! Despite having seen/ found plenty of these, seeing one sitting on the flashes certainly struck me back a bit! Luckilly, 7 of us connected before at 5:17, with a flush of most of the Gulls, the Caspian flew off north on its own and didn't return.
Hopefully a routine might develop.
While watching the Casp, an adult Med Gull was found, dropping onto the water just behind the main island, at times in the same FOV as the Caspian (see photo). This bird later roosted on the 1st flash. Later on, Mike found what we first thought was the same adult, however once a good view was had through the scope, confirmed that this was a different individual to earlier, with far less black on the head (See last photo). This bird roosted on the peninsular and we managed to locate both Meds within the roost to confirm.
Last light brought the 3 Green Sandpipers, roosting in the Delta and finally at 6:15, the Barn Owl flew along the Hen brook, along the reedbed, before flying low across the 1st flash into the transmitter field. What a way to end a superb evening! :t:
The sight and sound of around 2500- 3000 birds on the flashes this evening was stunning. Well worth a visit for anyone who has not experianced it.
Totals: 1 Caspian Gull, 2 Med Gull, Barn Owl, 3 Green Sand, 1800c BHG, c500 mixed large Gulls (c80% LBBG) 13 Teal, 20 Curlew, 2 Shelduck, 20 Avocet.

DSC04180 - Copy.JPGDSC04297 - Copy.JPGDSC04335 - Copy.JPGDSC04390 - Copy.JPG

Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

20 Avocet, Med x BH Gull hybrid, 6 Curlew, Common Gull (first winter), 2 Gadwall, 50 Fieldfare

From the Moors Pool Dave updates:

20 Avocet briefly, 2 Little Egret, 16 Pochard, 11 Gadwall, 10 Curlew, 4 Little Grebe, 1 GC Grebe, 6 Shelduck, 69 Shoveler, 24 Teal, House Sparrow, 12 Redpoll.

Last edited:
Flashes work on Tuesday

1st reminder that we will be working at the Flashes on Tuesday morning.
Checking and repairing fox fencing. putting markers on barbed wire fence around stockades.
generally tidying up ready for breeding season.

Flashes tonight

Just visited the Flashes for the roost this evening. Disappointingly very few large gulls and low numbers if BHG had gathered. The poor weather conditions normally brings the gulls in early , but not tonight. Slowly they came in well the BHG'S that is . One of last night's Adult Meds arrived but the large gulls kept flying out. But almost at dark they settled, well for a few minutes that is. I left at 6.3pm and many of them were still flying round calling.
Ducks were a feature this evening, starting with a sizable flock of teal flying in from the north side of the sewage works. Groups of shoveler and gadwall dabbled in the 2nd Flash. Later Shelduck appeared and just before dark a mixed flock of pochard and tufted dropped on to the 2nd Flash which was by now full of gulls. A peregrine didn't help settle the gulls nerves as it hunted above us. Just when I thought it was all over the Barn owl flew up in front of me as I was walking back.

Species count Flashes :
Little egret
Teal 70. gadwall 11. Shoveler 8. Shelduck 5. pochard 15. tufted 6. greylag 35. coot 17.
Curlew only 20..indicating that migrants are joining the flock for a day or so before moving off. This will make it difficult to quantify our spring passage numbers. Green sand 2. lapwing 400. Avocet 20. oystercatcher 2. snipe 1.
BHG 1800. large gulls 350 - 80%LBBG. Med Gull ad 1 of the 2 from last night.
Peregrine. Buzzard 2. Barn Owl. Pheasant.
Redwing 45. pied wag 3. starling 1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back