• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

Tuesday work party Moors

This Tuesday and 21st March we will be working out on Amy's marsh so there will be disturbance.
The birds will move to the north end of the pool or go over to the Flashes.
We will be clearing islands and generally preparing the area for the coming breeding season.

The dead hedge will be completed and tern rafts will be brought in for checking and repairing .

Last edited:
Yesterday's count of 19 Great Crested Grebe across the Sailing Pool and Moors Pool was the highest number present since April 2010

As promised please find attached a chart showing the average half-monthly maxima counts for Black-headed Gulls for the first 5 years we have records available (1998 to 2002) in blue compared with the most recent 5 years (March 2013 to March 2017) in red. Two periods of the year (July and December) track along very similar lines but there are huge increases elsewhere, partly created by the emergence of the breeding colony but also with large spikes in March and September / October.

Its a shame we don't have a similar level of detail for the larger gulls.

Attachments

• BHG.jpg
    BHG.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 79
a tit,a red breast, 1 large chopper and another pic from today

a pleasant day with at last some sunshine.

Attachments

• _DSC9379.jpg
    _DSC9379.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 85
  • _DSC9361.jpg
    _DSC9361.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 106
  • _DSC9418.jpg
    _DSC9418.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 95
  • _DSC9402.jpg
    _DSC9402.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 98
As promised please find attached a chart showing the average half-monthly maxima counts for Black-headed Gulls for the first 5 years we have records available (1998 to 2002) in blue compared with the most recent 5 years (March 2013 to March 2017) in red. Two periods of the year (July and December) track along very similar lines but there are huge increases elsewhere, partly created by the emergence of the breeding colony but also with large spikes in March and September / October.

Its a shame we don't have a similar level of detail for the larger gulls.
Phil
Haven't we git dataon the large gulls. Probably due to the usually small numbers away from winter and autumn.

Phil
Haven't we git dataon the large gulls. Probably due to the usually small numbers away from winter and autumn.

I suspect all we will have historically will be the peak annual count (and some of those may well relate to birds passing over the reserve rather than roosting). If I get a mo I will look to see if we have anything usable.

Last edited:
A quick tot up suggests that at least 74 species were noted on the reserve yesterday - the 65 that Dave J had in the morning plus Little Egret, Ringed Plover, Fieldfare, Redwing, Jay, Pied Wagtail, Nuthatch, Siskin and Redpoll - an excellent total for the time of year

I suspect all we will have historically will be the peak annual count (and some of those may well relate to birds passing over the reserve rather than roosting). If I get a mo I will look to see if we have anything usable.

Well here's what I have got from the annual reports since 1984 - the peak annual counts for Herring Gull (green) and Lesser Black-backed Gull (red). As suspected the information is patchy but again it shows a dramatic increase in numbers for both species in recent times. I have only included flocks settled or roosting on the reserve or loitering over, not the many thousands that formerly streamed over towards Westwood

Attachments

• Herring.jpg
    Herring.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 63
  • LBBG.jpg
    LBBG.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 72
Monday evening at the Flashes

Arrived at the sailing pool around 4pm yesterday, where I counted at least 6 great crested grebe. 5 oystercatchers flew overhead and I heard a chiffchaff singing (my first of the year) as I was on the approach to the steps at the Flashes.

From Cuckoo Hide, I counted at least 24 Avocet, though I understand the earlier maximum of the day had been 31. The Avocet continued to feed in relative peace. Duck numbers were low but I noted shoveller, shelduck, teal, mallard and gadwall. Four coots became involved in quite a scrap, puffing up their feathers and interlocking feet. I also saw long tailed tit activity in the bramble to the right of Cuckoo Hide, so could be worth keeping an eye on.

I moved on to the Avocet Hide, where I enjoyed watching a pair of Avocets quite close to the Hide before they were eventually spooked by the rising gull numbers. Helpfully I was joined by Paul D, who had been present for Thursday's roost. Although we didn't count the birds as such, Paul said that there were about half the numbers he'd seen last week. Assisted by his scope, he picked out a Med gull and some curlew. A lone oystercatcher was amongst the lapwing and black headed gulls. I noticed that the large gulls were concentrated in the water between the islands and the far shore, many bathing and preening.There were a couple of very small (only a dozen or so) starling flocks. There was still no show from the barn owl by the time I left at 6.40pm.

Last edited:
Work party Tuesday

13 of us set about a good few tasks.
1. completed dead hedging along east marsh
2. planted last batch of hawthorns parallel to dead hedge.
3.brought the 'lost' tern rafts for repair.
4. repaired and closed up Broadmeadow gates ready for the breeding season.
5. pollarded willows along east border that were looking a bit precarious.
6. lowered height of hedge to south of East hide . This will allow viewing of seasonal pool. ( to be completed next week)
Thanks to the team.
Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Dave H. Jim B. Keith M. Paul M. Ray C. Roger. Terry W. Tony B . welcome Ian and me:t:

Thanks to Tony for the cracking Lemon Drizzle best you've made so far.:eat:

Attachments

• IMG_-8kzo9j.jpg
    IMG_-8kzo9j.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_uc1af3.jpg
    IMG_uc1af3.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 79
Pictures of Mediterranean Gulls, taken at The Flashes tonight. Taken between 5.15 and 6.15 in fading light.

Attachments

• Mediterranean Gulls-5524.jpg
    Mediterranean Gulls-5524.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Mediterranean Gulls-5571.jpg
    Mediterranean Gulls-5571.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Mediterranean Gulls-5602.jpg
    Mediterranean Gulls-5602.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Birding at the Moors

This morning before work party from East hide . 4 Sand martin did a couple of circuits of the pool before flying north. Duck numbers were now decreasing as is normal at this time of year. It appears that spring is at least a week early with chiffchaff already establishing territories.
Singing echoed all around the Moors, including several vocal little grebes. A walk around the Broadmeadow banks flushed a few common and a jack snipe.
After the work a redshank appeared on Pool island.

Species count MOORS :
GCG 2. Little grebe 9 (3 on Broadmeadow pool ). Little egret 2. Cormorant 4. mute swan 4.
Shoveler 44. Teal 14. Gadwall 6. Shelduck. Pochard 6 (3prs ). tufted 40.
Curlew 4. lapwing pr. snipe 12. Jack snipe. oystercatcher 6. REDSHANK.
BHG 250. Herring gull pr. LBBG.
Coot50. water rail 2.
Kestrel. Buzzard 5. Sparrowhawk.
Green woodpecker. kingfisher . stock dove 4.
Skylark. pied wagtail. SAND MARTIN 4.
Cetti's Warbler 3. song thrush 3 singing. chaffinch. greenfinch 4. bullfinch 2. goldfinch 7.
reed bunting 10 (4 singing ).

The Flashes this evening

Again the Flashes was literally buzzing with birds. The 2nd Flash full of waterfowl. Lapwing were displaying in the meadow and in front of the hide. The large gulls were well down in number and just as we thought this was the end of their roost...they piled in . There were more than on Sunday so I'm not sure when this roost will come to an end. Maybe it will be when the avocets breed..but they will have their work cut out with these numbers. Two different adult Meds appeared - one in stunning plumage (see Tony's photos ).

Species count FLASHES :
Teal 12, gadwall 22. shoveler 24. Shelduck 9. greylag 11 through. Little egret 2. coot 38
Curlew 10. Green sand. lapwing 38. snipe 8. Avocet 27.
Oystercatcher 4
Med Gull 2 ads. BHG 1700. Herring gull 120. LBBG 800.
Buzzard. sparrowhawk. Stock dove 15.
pied wag.

Following yesterday's Redshank with 17 days of the month still left we have already reached February's total of 88 species. There is an outside chance that we could get to the landmark of 100 species in March this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back