• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

Bird Forum Posts.
Mentioned this about 18 months ago At that time we had 29,200 posts Now we are on 33,600 thats about 250 posts per month, half of those from John and Phil. Majority of posts are sightings giving Upton a massive amount of up to date info on bird numbers and movements. The regular and accurate counts across the reserve add to the weight of evidence and volume of statistics that show what a great place #uptonwaren is.

Who Posted? Apr 2017
Total Posts: 33,600
User Name Posts
upstarts1979 7,215
Phil Andrews 6,185
Woodchat 1,560
Sy V 1,356
forgetfulelephant 1,290
UW82 1,244
Stone Snapper 998
Gertatron 913
wheatearlp 786
midlands birder 603
Spoonbill Finder 470
woodwolf 468
keithr 467
Birder Gladys 467
PeterE 384
Brian Stretch 382
Bob O. 352
timmyjones 338
Gavo 330

Dave J updates from the Moors Pool:

2 second summer Med Gulls, 2 Avocet, 2 LR Plover, Redshank, 2 Shoveler, 250+ Sand Martin (will check what the reserve's record count is).

Bird Forum Posts.
Mentioned this about 18 months ago At that time we had 29,200 posts Now we are on 33,600 thats about 250 posts per month, half of those from John and Phil. Majority of posts are sightings giving Upton a massive amount of up to date info on bird numbers and movements. The regular and accurate counts across the reserve add to the weight of evidence and volume of statistics that show what a great place #uptonwaren is.

Who Posted? Apr 2017
Total Posts: 33,600
User Name Posts
upstarts1979 7,215
Phil Andrews 6,185
Woodchat 1,560
Sy V 1,356
forgetfulelephant 1,290
UW82 1,244
Stone Snapper 998
Gertatron 913
wheatearlp 786
midlands birder 603
Spoonbill Finder 470
woodwolf 468
keithr 467
Birder Gladys 467
PeterE 384
Brian Stretch 382
Bob O. 352
timmyjones 338
Gavo 330

1,291 now! :-O
Seriously though, what a great resource for everyone especially those who can't make it to the reserve often or at all.

Last edited:
looking at the posts records jogged my memory 'Records' 1st question I believe Gert was going for the 'Individual most birds in a day' on the last all dayer .Did he succeed? 2nd what is the most birds seen in one day by a single person?

Dave J reports from the Flashes this afternoon:

43 Avocet, Ruff, 7 Dunlin (1 + 6 briefly - all flew off, 1 returned), 2 Redshank, Common Sandpiper, 4 LR Plover, 3 Shoveler

looking at the posts records jogged my memory 'Records' 1st question I believe Gert was going for the 'Individual most birds in a day' on the last all dayer .Did he succeed? 2nd what is the most birds seen in one day by a single person?

No - Dave Jackson still holds the record for the highest individual day total set about four years ago. Think the total was around 82 - am sure John can confirm.

Dave J reports from the Flashes this afternoon:

43 Avocet, Ruff, 7 Dunlin (1 + 6 briefly - all flew off, 1 returned), 2 Redshank, Common Sandpiper, 4 LR Plover, 3 Shoveler

Dave further reports an adult and a (ringed) first summer Med Gulls at the Flashes this evening so four birds on the reserve.

Last edited:
I have only been 3 times and I agree - great reserve, great people, great birding.

Off again tomorrow after work!

Arrived at Moors just before 5am with minus one on car temp. widespread frost but promising sky. about two feet of mist above water and by heck it was cold in East hide. Hadnt been in hide more than ten minutes when everything took to the sky. Through the half light I quickly spotted the culprit as a large dog fox on broad meadow. he had half hearted lunges at a couple of birds and then lay down for next 15 mins. after getting up he was then chased off by a Canada Goose and latterly a Black Headed Gull. I didn't see how he got in but as pics show I know how he got out!! He then casually padded round behind Sand Martin Hotel and eventually started down East track before disappearing into field behind hide.
Once normal service resumed it seemed everything came in three by three! 3 Common Sands, 3 Common Snipe and 3 Avocet (although one didn't stay very long). The other two took long leisurely swims around in front of hide, something I haven't seen before. As it got lighter the whole area was awash with warbler song and Reeds chasing each other around. Some mating between Oystercatchers although I witnessed this a few weeks ago!
By 9.30 the hide had filled up, I was frozen so decided to leave it to others.
That's it from me for a few weeks as I am off to Lesvos for 3 weeks (at least I wont need my scarf and gloves) Regards Dennis

Attachments

• _DJC5225 forum.jpg
    _DJC5225 forum.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 91
  • _DJC5238 forum.jpg
    _DJC5238 forum.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 96
  • _DJC5248forum.jpg
    _DJC5248forum.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 107

81 Tim - can't remember which all dayer as I've blocked it out. Spent an hour at dusk staring into the field next to the salwarpe hoping for a pheasant to get to 82 8-P

81 Tim - can't remember which all dayer as I've blocked it out. Spent an hour at dusk staring into the field next to the salwarpe hoping for a pheasant to get to 82 8-P

I can remember getting to 80 on one of the all-dayers and not realising how close I was to the (then) record - think I turned down a sky watch for Hobby and a trot over to the Education Reserve for a singing Garden Warbler.

Arrived at Moors just before 5am with minus one on car temp. widespread frost but promising sky. about two feet of mist above water and by heck it was cold in East hide. Hadnt been in hide more than ten minutes when everything took to the sky. Through the half light I quickly spotted the culprit as a large dog fox on broad meadow. he had half hearted lunges at a couple of birds and then lay down for next 15 mins. after getting up he was then chased off by a Canada Goose and latterly a Black Headed Gull. I didn't see how he got in but as pics show I know how he got out!! He then casually padded round behind Sand Martin Hotel and eventually started down East track before disappearing into field behind hide.
Once normal service resumed it seemed everything came in three by three! 3 Common Sands, 3 Common Snipe and 3 Avocet (although one didn't stay very long). The other two took long leisurely swims around in front of hide, something I haven't seen before. As it got lighter the whole area was awash with warbler song and Reeds chasing each other around. Some mating between Oystercatchers although I witnessed this a few weeks ago!
By 9.30 the hide had filled up, I was frozen so decided to leave it to others.
That's it from me for a few weeks as I am off to Lesvos for 3 weeks (at least I wont need my scarf and gloves) Regards Dennis

Thanks for posting Dennis - interesting to see how the foxes can overcome the fences to get out; hopefully the overhang will prevent them getting in.

Have a great time in Lesvos (I'm sure you will); will keep an eye on your Flickr for the glorious birding the island has to offer.

Exactly right! I am one of those infrequent visitors. But I get a vivid impression of what's going on, what's about and what's changing at the reserve. It really is an extremely valuable resource!

Dave J reports early morning from the Flashes:

2 Arctic Terns at 07:08, then flew north, 46 Avocet, Ruff, 2 Redshank, Common Sandpiper, 4 LR Plover, 6 Shelduck, 5 Shoveler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back