• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Before the rain

Female Redstart and a little more water at the Flashes but not much else as per Gert
A pic from yesterday, before the rain came, of the Flashes field.
Of note on the Moors was the mixed flock of large gulls totalling over 230.:t::t:

Attachments

• pano1.jpg
    pano1.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 83
With this in mind I have just checked on how many daily hits we are getting .
I last checked in April at that time we were getting 4155 per day.and Norfolk 2,234..
Our total views on 9th April was 7,471,689
Norfolk was 7,249,412.
In the 102 interveening days we have had 165,867 hits
and Norfolk only 63,534
An average of 1,626 for us and 623 for Norfolk.
I don't know if there has been a fall off in views or this is a reflection of how poor the Spring has been for any interesting events.
:eek!: john
the Norfolk thread has dropped off after Paul left Titchwell and stopped posting daily updates from there

First visit for a while to the new hide. It's proving to be a really good place to view from. Mallard family, Common Tern, Sparrowhawk, 1 Swift, Reed Warbler, GSW on feeder & a new spot for me, a Common Toad.

Attachments

• P7210243.jpg
    P7210243.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
First visit for a while to the new hide. It's proving to be a really good place to view from. Shoveler family, Common Tern, Sparrowhawk, 1 Swift, Reed Warbler, GSW on feeder & a new spot for me, a Common Toad.

Shoveler family? Dont think there's been any reports of breeding so far this year. How many ducklings Rob?

Not been down to the reserve for a couple of weeks so put in a late-ish shift.... 1300-1900...very quiet

Moors

Hobby hunting for dragonflies from usual tree visible from causeway. Spent an hour in new hide watching GC Grebe and several reed warblers. From the East hide 25 Lapwing, 30 Herring Gull, 230+ LBB Gull, Green Sandpiper, Common Tern with 3 chicks, GC Grebe with 1 young.

Flashes

Again very quiet but it has certainly dried out significantly since my last visit... 94 Lapwing, 13 Curlew, 12 Stock Dove, 1 Starling, 20 Rook in cornfield, Greenfinch

Not been down to the reserve for a couple of weeks so put in a late-ish shift.... 1300-1900...very quiet

Moors

Hobby hunting for dragonflies from usual tree visible from causeway. Spent an hour in new hide watching GC Grebe and several reed warblers. From the East hide 25 Lapwing, 30 Herring Gull, 230+ LBB Gull, Green Sandpiper, Common Tern with 3 chicks, GC Grebe with 1 young.

Flashes

Again very quiet but it has certainly dried out significantly since my last visit... 94 Lapwing, 13 Curlew, 12 Stock Dove, 1 Starling, 20 Rook in cornfield, Greenfinch

In addition Andy P reported yesterday morning:-

Flashes - c90 BH Gull, 4 Common Tern (+1 over Sailing Pool), Kingfisher, 2 Treecreeper

Moors Pool - eclipse drake Wigeon, 3 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Green Sandpiper, Kingfisher

Sailing Pool - juvenile GC Grebe still

The only significant bird news today was of 12 Curlew at the Flashes as per Richard Baker.

An impressive list of butterflies from Lloyd Evans including Small Copper, Speckled Wood, Common Blue, Gatekeeper, Green-veined White, Comma, Red Admiral, Holly Blue, Silver-washed Fritillary, Meadow Brown, Large White and Small White.

Today's visit

Great Crested Grebe fishing in the North Moors pool.
Stock Dove dropped in for a drink in front of the East Hide

Attachments

• Great-crested Grebe-9193.jpg
    Great-crested Grebe-9193.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Stock Dove-9168.jpg
    Stock Dove-9168.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Moors water level

A pic from yesterday showing the water level on the Moors. We need some rain!:t:

Attachments

• pano 2.jpg
    pano 2.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 66
A pic from yesterday showing the water level on the Moors. We need some rain!:t:

In terms of water level that's not too bad. However the exposed areas of land look horribly dry, so no doubt levels will decrease soon without rain. However Flashes & North Moors are desperately low.

Will be down over the next couple of days would like help as to where's the best place or the most recent place to see Treecreeper, Kingfisher, Silver-washed Fritillary & small copper please?

Adrian,

Probably Lloyd or Des is best placed to comment re butterflies. There has only been one Treecreeper record this month so far, so that target species is probably a long shot.

Today's highlights- morning only.

MOORS:
Common Tern (3)------------Green Sand (1)
Water Rail (juv)--------------Cormorant (3)
Greylag Goose (8)-----------Teal (1)
Herring Gull (50)-------------L B B Gull (c300)
G C Grebe (2)

FLASHES:
Redstart (juv/fem)-----------Lapwing (72)
B H Gull (c130)---------------Rook (c20) in transmitter field.

Des.

Today's highlights- morning only.

MOORS:
Common Tern (3)------------Green Sand (1)
Water Rail (juv)--------------Cormorant (3)
Greylag Goose (8)-----------Teal (1)
Herring Gull (50)-------------L B B Gull (c300)
G C Grebe (2)

FLASHES:
Redstart (juv/fem)-----------Lapwing (72)
B H Gull (c130)---------------Rook (c20) in transmitter field.

Des.

Any tern chicks Des:t:

Will be down over the next couple of days would like help as to where's the best place or the most recent place to see Treecreeper, Kingfisher, Silver-washed Fritillary & small copper please?

Hi Adrian. I saw 2 Treecreepers in the oak tree near the steps as you head down towards the Flashes on Monday. There was also a Kingfisher near the Hen Brook hide. Kingfishers have been more reliable at the Moors Pool recently. The walk along the River Salwarpe is generally the best place for butterflies. I have seen Small Copper there recently as well as behind the West Hide at the Moors Pool. I also saw a Painted Lady along the river last year. Good Luck mate.

Andy P:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back