• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (7 Viewers)

From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

Male Brambling, female Stonechat, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Wigeon, 45 Pochard (2, then 43 came in), 100+ Snipe, 19 Shoveler, 10 Gadwall, 3 Little Grebe.

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

1 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Green Sandpiper, 10 Curlew, Snipe, 60 Lapwing, 2 Shelduck, 38 Teal, 2 Mute Swans, c2000 BH Gull, 15 LBB Gull, 2 Herring Gulls. 2 Barn Owls until 0720.

From the Moors Pool Andy P reports:

6 Egyptian Geese, 10 Pochard, 6 Shelduck, 22 Shoveler, 8 Gadwall, 36 Teal, 34 Tufted Duck, 3 Little Grebe, GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 32 Snipe, 50 Lapwing, Little Egret, Stonechat, Nuthatch, 2 Cetti's, 5 Thrush species

Work party Tomorrow at MOORS

The work will be centred along the west of the reserve.
Finishing off the blackthorn thicket between the 2 west hides. Re-opening the channels in front of Jacobs hide.
If time allows we will work in the Secret garden...

The following Tuesdays 11th and 18th February we will be at the Flashes.

Tomorrow Bobby P is cake making

Today's work party Moors

Thanks to all 19 of the crew today a bit depleted with sickness and holidays but still amazing turn out when compared to 3 years ago:t:

Todays Work:-
1. Completed the scrub management between the 2 west hides. This included creating structural diversity..wherby we cut the blackthorn thicket to various heights, from ground level to 2 feet and up to 4 feet. This will gently slope upwards towards the path, positioned so the sun will get to each section. The spindles are un touched. The blackthorn to the side of water rail hide has not been touched to preserve the perches for birds using the feeding station. The bramble area patch in the area has been left to provide nest sites...the willows either side of the hide were cut back to improve views and help scrub thrive. The cut thick stumps were formed into 3 log piles within the thicket...this will add to the mosaic of habitat in this area...

2. The willows in the west side reed beds were removed to stop the reeds drying out.

3. The overgrown channel in front of the Jacobs hide was opened up, with the cutting piled up to create habitat piles. Willows in the same area were removed and brash used to repair screen right of water rail hide. After the work the mute swans were feeding in the open area and shortly afterwards the otter swam along the far end of it.

Check out my twitter site (click on link below) to see photos and video of todays work.

Thanks to
Andy A. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Dave Hill. Ellen A. Graham L. Ian B. Ian J. John H. Julie W. Kim W. Nick F. Paul M. Ray C. Terry W. Tony B and me
Thanks to Bobby P for the cakes:eat::t:

Next week and the following Tuesday we will be at the Flashes.
Julie and Tony are cake making.
John:t:B :)

Last edited:
Birding the Reserve Today

MOORS:-
GCG. Little grebe 2. Little egret 4 flew over (8am)to the east after leaving their roost at the sailing pool. Grey heron. Mute swan 2. Greylag. Cormorant 12. Shoveler 23. Gadwall 2. Teal 35-40. Pochard 15 (11 males).Tufted 42.
Snipe c45. Jack snipe flushed from the west track near the viewpoint. Curlew. Lapwing 45.
BHG c300. Herring gull. LBBG c5.
Sparrowhawk.
Green woodpecker. Great spotted w x2.
Fieldfare 8. Redwing. Song thrush 4 singing.
Starling c25. Stonechat female feeding in freshly cleared areas in front of Jacobs hide.
Feeding Station:-
Pheasant 8. Great spot w.
Greenfinch 8. Bullfinch male. Chaffinch 5. Goldfinch 30. Coal tit. Long t tit 20+. Reed bunting 6.

FLASHES :-
Mute swan. Greylag 12.
Teal 4 (incl 2 Hen pool) . Shoveler 23. Shelduck 4. Mallard 12. Coot 17
Snipe 6. Avocet 2. Oystercatcher. Curlew 11. Lapwing 105.
Roost:- BHG 1200. LBBG 7.
Peregrine. Buzzard 2.
At 5.35 I was sitting in the avocet hide when I heard a scratching coming from the small 'open' window in the right corner. Not sure what it was I peered around the wooden column. At the same time that I did so, the 'thing' also stretched out and momentarily stared at me...wow it was a Barn Owl just 3 feet away ...it was as startled as I was, immediately flying off behind the hide.
Redwing heard. Song thrush singing.
Stonechat female brighter orange underparts compared to the Moors bird.
Linnet. Pied wag.

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Oystercatcher (2)-----------------Snipe (9)
Lapwing (8)-----------------------Little Egret (3). Four seen in the evening. (MJI, JHWR)
Shoveler (21)---------------------Pochard (15)
Tufted Duck (32)------------------Gadwall (4)
Teal (11)---------------------------Shelduck (3)
Greylag Goose (23)---------------B H Gull (c150)-including EH53, a Belgian bird seen on the reserve last year.
Water Rail (1)---------------------Cetti's Warbler (1)
Skylark (2) over the car park. (JHWR)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Curlew (1)-------------------------Jack Snipe. To the right of the Shelduck box- am, early pm and at 16.30.
Snipe (10)-------------------------Shoveler (12)
Teal (15)---------------------------Shelduck (3)- whilst there were 5 at the Moors.
L B B Gull (28)---------------------B H Gull (c1500)
Chiffchaff*-------------------------Barn Owl (1) flew behind the hide at 17.37.
A probable Great White Egret was reported by a competent observer early afternoon flying left of the sewage works. The Egret dropped down towards the Hen Brook. The bird was not seen again.

Des.

Cormorant (13)-------------------Kingfisher (2)

From the Moors Pool Phil updates:

5 Little Egret, Stonechat, 1 Wigeon, 8 Snipe, 17 Tufted Duck, 5 Pochard, and 2 Oystercatcher.

Barn owl caught on camera just before the sun disappeared Thursday at the flashes- best part of the day with fabulous sunshine, but very cold! This guy posed for just a short moment before being mobbed by several gulls, sending him on his return to the barn to the far right of the hide.

Attachments

• A24Y6449-2.jpg
    A24Y6449-2.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 129
  • A24Y6471.jpg
    A24Y6471.jpg
    909.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
At a wind-lashed Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

3 Avocet, adult Yellow-legged Gull, Barn Owl, 10 Curlew, Oystercatcher, Green Sandpiper, 8 Shelduck, 155 Lapwing, 8 Herring Gull, 65 LBB Gull, 2900+ BH Gulls

From an equally gale-driven Moors Pool Dave reportd:

3 Oystercatcher, 35+ Snipe, 8 Gadwall, 24 Shoveler, 5 Pochard, 5 Shelduck, 2 Little Grebe

WeBS count (somewhat limited I would have thought) to follow.

Kind Donation

A slightly belated thanks to Sue and Andy Gibbon for a generous donation last Friday to the seed fund - much appreciated.

I still have an unclaimed silver brooch found on the floor of the main Flashes hide recently [previously posted]. If anyone knows anything about the owner please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back