• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

This day in history....

What a day that was for you Andy! One of the rarest Upton-ticks on record, but there's still a chance another RB Gull will turn up I'm sure.

Haven't posted on here for a few years, but am an avid reader and Upton-faithful. For anybody with memorable anecdotes or photos, get them on here when you get a chance, so we can all get our "Upton-fix" during this enforced abstinence.

Stay safe people

I haven't been to UW for ages as I have moved away from Birmingham. When I lived there I used to call into UW at least twice a week.

I have many good me3mories of the site but regarding finding unusual birds there one stands out for me.

It was on 5th May 1997. I was going to Majorca later that day and decided to have a couple of hours at UW before having to catch the plane.

I went to the flashes and just after walking down the steps and just past the first hide the unmistakable sound of a Nightingale rang out. I froze. I looked hard into the area where the sound was coming from and after a while it came out for a brief showing before disappearing.

One of many good moments there.

Whilst on my dog walk today over the farm fields and down the footpath that goes around the back of the reserve, couldn't help but have a look at what was about, much the usual from what I could see, Swan, Canada geese, Greylag, Cormorant, Shellduck, BHGs, blue tit, Mallard, great tit, and lots and lots of different butterflies.
Will take the bins tomorrow to see if I can see a bit further :D

I haven't been to UW for ages as I have moved away from Birmingham. When I lived there I used to call into UW at least twice a week.

I have many good me3mories of the site but regarding finding unusual birds there one stands out for me.

It was on 5th May 1997. I was going to Majorca later that day and decided to have a couple of hours at UW before having to catch the plane.

I went to the flashes and just after walking down the steps and just past the first hide the unmistakable sound of a Nightingale rang out. I froze. I looked hard into the area where the sound was coming from and after a while it came out for a brief showing before disappearing.

One of many good moments there.
I remember Nightingale on one of our all-dayers & Jon Belsey rushing over from the Flashes almost driving to the door of the east-hide at the Moors, flashing his headlights like a maniac to get our attention- possibly the same bird - a classic Upton “champagne-moment”😁

My best find was on Thursday August 31st 2012 a juvenile Knot at the Flashes

Attachments

• KNOT - AUGUST 31ST UPTON WARREN NATURE RESERVE.jpg
    KNOT - AUGUST 31ST UPTON WARREN NATURE RESERVE.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 88
old pics of things no longer there.
1 up graded
2 old boardwalk
3 willow tree

Attachments

• 2 211.jpg
    2 211.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 28th April 391.jpg
    28th April 391.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 89
  • feb 2012 157.jpg
    feb 2012 157.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 90
Things to think about and look at

Good morning Anguis.
Mr Bing asked me if I meant anguish when I typed in your avatar. Mmmmmn!

Should I take it that you are from Romania and come over here to Droitwich to work. A well travelled slow worm in any case. And an interesting set of stories to tell no doubt.

As for the comment you made you are- strictly speaking - correct. However there is electricity readily available at both the Moors and the Flashes. It just requires a will to link in and of course time and money. Something for the future perhaps. Where there is a will there is a way .

For you and others who may not have visited Google Earth recently DO visit.

The Upton Warren area has been updated to 2020. For me it is an amazing set of views showing many changes.

If any of you are missing the walk from the Moors carpark up to the East Hide do check out the street view. Mr Google's driver this time was more brave than the previous ones and drove right up to the turning circle in front of the houses. You can even wave to Mr. Lifestyles and pat his dog sitting there in the sunshine. Worth a look.

Best wishes stay safe wherever you all are .

Phil E

two Moors old photos.
1 East track before improvement.
2 Lagoon island before improvement.

Attachments

• uw 045.jpg
    uw 045.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 67
  • jan 12 027.jpg
    jan 12 027.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 63
4 years ago tomorrow 18 04 16

On the East Track of the Moors a goldcrest
At the Sailing Pool a grey wagtail
At the Flashes what else but at least one avocet
And the weather was good.

Phil E

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 48
4 Years ago this week continued 20 04 16

The weather was still good and we obviously spent a fair time at UW then

At the Moors 3's a crowd and two were a pair. From the East Hide. The interloper ended up at the Flashes.
From the Hen Brook Hide a very obligingly photogenic water rail.
And at the Flashes the interloper appeared and acted nonchalantly!

Attachments

• IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 66
3 Years ago this week 13 04 17

Andy P gets up earlier than me. Everybody gets up earlier than me!
His log entry for the early shift at the Flashes.
1st summer Med
2nd summer meds.
Two pics showing different stances. I'm curious about the thinner bird . Any thoughts?
And finally 2 of the 42 plus avocets!!
Time for tea now!!
Phil E

Attachments

• IMG_7.jpg
    IMG_7.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8.jpg
    IMG_8.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9.jpg
    IMG_9.jpg