• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent camera & lens advice please (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

I am in a real dilema here..... I currently own an Canon EOS 300 SLR 'film' camera which I use with 2 Sigma lens's: A 28-80mm lens which has a macro facility built in. The 2nd lens is the 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 - APO Macro. The autofocus does not work with either lens, so it is extremely frustrating to use. I also have a Kenko 1.4 Teleplus Pro 300 Converter which I was told I can use on a digital camera when I buy one. I am going to Lesvos VERY soon and would dearly love to buy some new kit (will probably be with Warehouse Express - buy in 12 months time deal). (I have already found out that my current Sigma lens's cannot be re-programmed for digital)

I want to upgrade to a digital slr camera and really like the look of the Canon 40D which isn't that much different in price to the new EOS 450D. I cannot possible afford to by the lens's I want for bird photography, but will be just as happy with the equivalent lens I have now and ideally would like to have the IS facility. A very helpful man at W. Express suggested either the 70-300 APO Sigma lens £154.99 which although doesn't have IS, is a very good lens or the 70-300 IS USM Canon lens at £369. Also he suggested the 18-50 Sigma F2.8 macro lens £279.99.

Any suggestions to which camera and lens I should buy would be very helpful from you camera experts out there please? I do have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 for snapshots and digiscoping, but its not same as an SLR is it!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I have the 40D and love it, I recently tested the 450D and definitely prefer the 40D over it. If nothing else the faster frame rate will give you a real edge when shooting birds.

As for lenses - I used to have a Sigma 70-300 and liked it, though clearly 300mm is often not enough for birds. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 is a good little lens, but if you are planning to shot a lot of macros I'd suggest the Sigma 105 f2.8. If you want a wideish zoom why not buy the camera with the kit lens (it is a lot better than many people give it credit for). If you are considering the Canon 70-300 and the Sigma 18-50 you're looking at spending ~£650 on lenses, for not much more you could get a secondhand 100-400 IS.

I have the 40D and love it, I recently tested the 450D and definitely prefer the 40D over it. If nothing else the faster frame rate will give you a real edge when shooting birds.

As for lenses - I used to have a Sigma 70-300 and liked it, though clearly 300mm is often not enough for birds. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 is a good little lens, but if you are planning to shot a lot of macros I'd suggest the Sigma 105 f2.8. If you want a wideish zoom why not buy the camera with the kit lens (it is a lot better than many people give it credit for). If you are considering the Canon 70-300 and the Sigma 18-50 you're looking at spending ~£650 on lenses, for not much more you could get a secondhand 100-400 IS.

...and the slower 18-50mm Sigma F3.5/F5.6 is an alternative to the F2.8. It's not as good optically, but it's not bad, though the closest focus isn't up there with a genuine macro lens.

Penny, you've hit the dilemma faced by many on a limited budget where they need the whole package rather than just adding a digital body to an existing system. Any compromise item you buy now will soon be seen as money that could have gone to the item you really want!

Either of the 70-300mm zooms wil give you good quality images if you can get the bird large in the frame but that may mean totally altering the way you do your birding - I've got a 400mm + the Kenko 1.4x and, in order to get the best from them, I've sort of had to change into a photographer who's interested in birds rather than a birder with a camera (I've got stacks of old slides with a tiny little blip in the middle of the frame from when I just used to carry my old camera+400mm over my shoulder on a general day out birding!).

Another alternative is to go for the best lens you can afford and a secondhand digital body - something like a little-used 20D can be bought at a reasonable price (some people are 'serial upgraders' who constantly trade in their current model for the latest super-duper model even though they've only taken a few thousand frames).

Hi Pete

Thanks for your advice.

Can you suggest a good place to buy secondhand please?

Hi Penny,

I only recently went down the DSLR route after a couple of years' digiscoping (which I still do) and using a superzoom camera. I bought the Canon 40D and, after much deliberation, the 400mm F5.6. I also have the Kenko 1.4X and 1.5X converters. The main drawback with the prime lens is its poor close focusing. With that in mind, I bought the 70-300 IS USM lens that you referred to (I couldn't afford the 100-400 IS zoom as well as the prime). The 70-300 is a decent lens and actually works quite well with the 1.5X converter in decent light, giving 450mm reach. For the price it is a real bargain, and is very light and portable. However, 99.9 per cent of the time it stays at home and I take out the prime lens, which has the edge in terms of quality. It's very rare that I miss a shot because the bird's too close (I wish ...)

Based on my experience, I would say Postcardcv's advice is absolutely sound: if IS is important to you and you are only going to buy one lens, try to get a secondhand 100-400 zoom, even if it means stretching your budget a bit. In the end, you'll be glad you did.

Malcolm

...and the slower 18-50mm Sigma F3.5/F5.6 is an alternative to the F2.8. It's not as good optically, but it's not bad, though the closest focus isn't up there with a genuine macro lens.

Penny, you've hit the dilemma faced by many on a limited budget where they need the whole package rather than just adding a digital body to an existing system. Any compromise item you buy now will soon be seen as money that could have gone to the item you really want!

Either of the 70-300mm zooms wil give you good quality images if you can get the bird large in the frame but that may mean totally altering the way you do your birding - I've got a 400mm + the Kenko 1.4x and, in order to get the best from them, I've sort of had to change into a photographer who's interested in birds rather than a birder with a camera (I've got stacks of old slides with a tiny little blip in the middle of the frame from when I just used to carry my old camera+400mm over my shoulder on a general day out birding!).

Another alternative is to go for the best lens you can afford and a secondhand digital body - something like a little-used 20D can be bought at a reasonable price (some people are 'serial upgraders' who constantly trade in their current model for the latest super-duper model even though they've only taken a few thousand frames).

Hi Adey

I have loads of slides too!!!!..hmmmmmm, can you suggest any good places to buy secondhand from (not ebay!) please?

Hi Adey

I have loads of slides too!!!!..hmmmmmm, can you suggest any good places to buy secondhand from (not ebay!) please?

Off hand, I don't know of any dealers near to you that I can recommend - it's probably best to try it in the shop first, so that you can see what you're buying (caveat emptor and all that). Otherwise, one of the regular advertisers in a photo magazine such as 'Amateur Photographer' might be a possibility - look for something that's in good condition, 'Mint,' 'Mint-' 'Exc++' for instance. This is only the cosmetic condition but it often shows that someone has looked after the camera, especially if it's an amateur. You should be able to find out how many 'actuations' the camera has performed, though on one occasion my camera (20D) managed to reset itself to zero, frame number, date, everything so I'm not sure how many shots it's actually taken - certainly in excess of 50,000.

Hi Penny....are you going to be carrying a telescope/bins as well as camera gear?

It is not possible IMHO to advise on suitable lenses unless we know what you are going to photograph and where and how close you can get to your intended subjects.

The 100-400 is a great lens but it may be a little heavy and awkward if you are luggin' around a telescope, bins, flask and sandwiches.

It might be worth getting a copy of Amateur Photographer from the newsagents. It comes out weekly ( copy out tomorrow) and there are a number of companies advertising s/h lenses.

Canon 40D is a superb piece of kit and VERY good value.

Good luck.

Edit ...I did not see Adey's reply.

Check out my gallery of most recent stuff...most pics taken with 300mm lens or 100-400 but not always at the 400 end. Also look at GPS dipper shots taken with 70-200....it's not what you've got but how you use it that counts.:t:

Hi Penny....are you going to be carrying a telescope/bins as well as camera gear?

It is not possible IMHO to advise on suitable lenses unless we know what you are going to photograph and where and how close you can get to your intended subjects.

The 100-400 is a great lens but it may be a little heavy and awkward if you are luggin' around a telescope, bins, flask and sandwiches.

It might be worth getting a copy of Amateur Photographer from the newsagents. It comes out weekly ( copy out tomorrow) and there are a number of companies advertising s/h lenses.

Canon 40D is a superb piece of kit and VERY good value.

Good luck.

Edit ...I did not see Adey's reply.
Hi

Yes I will be carrying scope, but only the Nikon ED50 (very light). Listening to all your advice I think financially I should just go for a zoom lens for now that I would like for bird photography for my Lesvos trip!!!! Eventually I would like a macro lens to take butterflies, insects and landscapes. I will get AP mag tomorrow thanks. My father used to have this weekly, I had forgotton about that!

Thank you.

Try

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

This may be a option for you. Mainly US sellers but some UK also. Scroll down to the Marketplace section and then scan the "Classifieds: Sell" forum. I've bought a few items from fellow POTN forum members.

Actually, I bought my Canon 400D/XTi and Bigma lens from a fellow BirdForum member. Canon 40D cameras and bodies are a hot commodity on the forum and tend to sell quickly. Canon 400D/XTi cameras are typically available. I've only seen one or two Canon 450D/XSi cameras for sale on the forum.

I find that all of these forum members are very nice and take care of their gear very well. Everything I've bought second-hand has been in like-new condition.

Best of luck.

For second hand kit try :) they dont all carry large stocks, MPB usually have a good selection of lenses as do some of the others.

Mifsuds - www.mifsuds.com
Ffordes - www.ffordes.com
Aperture - www.apertureuk.com
Dale Photographic - www.dalephotographic.co.uk
MXV - www.mxv.co.uk
MPB Photographic - www.mpbphotographic.co.uk
London Camera Exchange - www.lcegroup.co.uk
Photography 247 - www.photography247.co.uk
Camtech - www.camtechuk.com
A J Purdy http://www.ajpurdy.co.uk/
Surrey Photography http://www.surreyphotography.co.uk/

For second hand kit try :) they dont all carry large stocks, MPB usually have a good selection of lenses as do some of the others.

MXV - www.mxv.co.uk

Wow, thanks for all that Ian:t::t::t:;)

Penny, I have bought all of my lenses from the U.S. They are considerably cheaper over there. I have only been "Collared" on one lens out of four.
You might also try Fred Miranda. There are a lot of private sales on there where you take the risk of being duped but again I have bought two lenses on there with no problems.
I don`t know why you are so averse to eBay but there are some real bargains to be had if you use the U.S. eBay. At the moment what you will pay in pounds over her you will pay in dollars over there. That makes a lot of difference to the end price !
There is always the possibilty of being charged both Import Duty and VAT but even with those added the lenses are still cheaper than buying them over here. This applies especially if you are considering buying secondhand.
I would also recommend POTN, photography-on-the-net.

MXV - www.mxv.co.uk

Hi Penny,

These dealers are all AFAIK good, but they must have high overheads because their prices, 2nd hand, can often be matched on brand new gear. For second hand I have bought on BirdForum and on ebay - read the feedback carefully as well as the ad. I have tried to buy on POTN too but never been quick enough :-(

For new contact Ian Kerr (kerso on this forum and on POTN) who gets recommendations here and everywhere all the time. He brings in from the states, dealing with the duties etc.

Take that price of £878 for a 300 f4 L IS. Ian just charged me £675 delivered. I have bought it as a travel lens because it is light and has IS. I have a 1.4TC so it is equivalent to a 400 f5.6. The 400 f5.6 would have got my vote except that my hands are not too steady, I really wanted IS.

For closer focus once you have bought a lens, have you considered extension tubes ? They avoid the disadvantages of a TC (image degradation and losing light) because they don't have glass. Can be found very cheap at times.

I would also second Pete's idea that you should concentrate on the lens and can economize on the body. A s/h 20d should be a great camera. Tack any body on cheap glass and it is compromized.

Taking this idea a wee bit further I realized that "buying a lens for now" was costing me a pile and only delaying what I really wanted. It was better to save up as much as I could and buy a top notch lens right off than going through an iteration of increasingly expensive lenses first, then spending the same on the one I really wanted anyway - as well as all the money in between !

HTH, Mike.

Hi John Here Using Both The Lenses You Have Are Ok Both Will Work On Your 300 Manuel Focus 70 300 As Auto Focus Will Only Work Up To 200mm Work Of Tripod If You Take One On Hols With You If Not Fill A Strong Plastic Bag With Sand Or Dried Lentils And Use That Camera Setting Iso100 Plus One Stop70/300 The Other One Use Iso100 For Normal Light Bright Sun Blue Skies Polar/filter On Always Croping Will Be Factor Dont Use The Converter Unless You Want Soft Images You Might Not Get Ultra Sharp Images Hand Held Hope This Helps No Need To Splash Out Yet New Canons Coming Shortly

For new contact Ian Kerr (kerso on this forum and on POTN) who gets recommendations here and everywhere all the time. He brings in from the states, dealing with the duties etc.

Take that price of £878 for a 300 f4 L IS. Ian just charged me £675 delivered. I have bought it as a travel lens because it is light and has IS. I have a 1.4TC so it is equivalent to a 400 f5.6. The 400 f5.6 would have got my vote except that my hands are not too steady, I really wanted IS.]

Totally agree with the suggestion to use Kerso, he's a very nice guy to deal with, I've bought four thinsg from him and they have all arrived very quickly. Personally I think the 400 f5.6 is one of the best birding lenses around (only bettered by the big primes), however the flexability of the zoom may well suit you. If you're at the Minsmere thing on Sunday you'd be welcome to have a play with my 40D and 400 f5.6 to see what you think of them.

Penny ive also used Kerso to buy a lens and found him to be a very reliable person with excellent prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back