• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent help needed with fledgling doves (1 Viewer)

Katten

United States
Two mourning dives have fledged in my courtyard. 5 days ago. Parent is feeding and I’ve seen them practice flying. My problem is that it’s a small enclosed courtyard with high walls and I fear they won’t be able to fly out.
Can I catch them with my hands and take them out of the courtyard into bushes just outside?

I removed the old nest. If mom comes back his do I prevent her nesting there again?

Hi Katten and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm sure they will manage fine once they can fly properly. If you find they they really can't get out you would be best to call the local rescue centre or rehabbers, they will have the proper equipment (nets probably) and expertise. But really think it won't be necessary if the adults are getting in and out to feed them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I am sure the fledglings will soon be strong enough to follow the parents’ example and fly out of the courtyard.

Thank you for answering. They have both flown up into a vine, so I propped open the courtyard door to give them a route out. Will the parents abandon them if they can’t get out?

I really think you are worrying about them unnecessarily. The adults will feed them less and less and less as they mature, and towards the end of that time I bet the youngsters will be out of your garden. The adults will stop feeding them as they will then be busy producing another brood.

You can read more about Mourning Doves in our Opus article: Mourning Dove - BirdForum Opus

It’s unlikely that the parents will abandon them. I can understand your concerns, but birds are pretty clever. 🙂

It’s unlikely that the parents will abandon them. I can understand your concerns, but birds are pretty clever. 🙂
How do I prevent nesting in my courtyard? Can I remove nests being built in the vine? Its the main entrance to our house and we’ve had to restrict using it for months .

I don't know the laws in your country but I know some species are protected from nest disturbance, you might try Googling for more information.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back