• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US Western Tanager expert question (1 Viewer)

MiddleRiver

United States
DSB03657.jpgPosted on a couple of FB pages (ABA...) but thought I'd ask here.
Saw this yesterday W of Shenandoah Valley around 4000' ASL. Didn't look 'right' and I grabbed a couple of quick pics. There's been suggestion it's a juvenile male Scarlet (sometimes show wingbars?) and the wings do look dark (lighting artifact?) but I can't get over how distinct the wingbars are. Currently in ebird review - I listed as Western, hoping it would get reviewed by a better birder than me!
Western? Weird Scarlet?

Attachments

• 7.24.23 Briery Branch Gap DSB03658.jpg
    7.24.23 Briery Branch Gap DSB03658.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Someone can freely correct me, but based on time of year and location, I'd say you have a young Scarlet Tanager. Those look less like wing bars and more like fledgling feathers that haven't gotten adult plumage yet.

Plus, we are still early in the year for vagrants/dull plumage birds in the Eastern US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back