• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanderpoel Hits 650 (1 Viewer)

Another factor is that a big year in the US is SOOO much more difficult and expensive than say one in a single state, or the UK. I would guess birders don't have time and money to spend on maybe ticks, especially if you get into extralimital "maybe ticks"

A UK big year is going to be reasonably expensive and difficult as a lot of the total is going to be made of passage migrants and rare vagrants, often turning up on one of several island archipelagos at opposite ends of the country, and often involving one day/short staying birds (and of course supressed and even hoaxed birds too, unfortunately). There also isn't quite the same degree of altruistic helpfulness from birders available as seems to be the case in the US, although of course networking and bird news dissemination do go a long way.

A decent Western Palearctic (Europe, parts of North Africa and the Middle East, Azores and Iceland etc) year listing effort would I reckon be comparable to the US version, with 700 readily available and 750 an attainable target. 800 species or more have been recorded this year in the region for example. Problems in the WP involve language and travel over the range of countries, with certain species being unavailable at times due to political issues.

What are the ABA totals for the years concerned?

(apologies for spelling and grammar ;) )

Last edited:
On topic - admirable effort by the man!!

Whatever total is eventually reached (and yes some kind of retrospective 'comparison' would be nice, although I agree previous years totals can't actually be altered once published, unless they are agreed to be 'wrong' for whatever reason).

Are there enough birds available over the next 10 days to reach 745?

Birders in the U.S are going out of their way to help, ie., Anchorage and
Seward. Canadians would do the same.

John has to get the swan and get out of Alaska.

"Are there enough birds available over the next 10 days to reach 745?"

Yes, Whooper Swan 742, Nutting's Flycatcher, Streak-backed Oriole.

He dipped on Redwing and Dusky Thrush.

Last edited:
The Hooded Crane is controversial...apparently there is evidence to suggest the Idaho birds that escaped were pinioned, which would mean the Nebraska/Tennessee Hooded Crane MAY be an legitimate escapee

Are there any Streak-backed Orioles in the US right now? NARBA doesn't list any.

John also still needs Great Skua and is also going to try for (long shot) Bermuda Petrel. If the winds shift and are favorable, a lapwing is not outside the realm of possibility either.

Siler's list:

" There is a long story behind this, but I have spoken
to: the owner of the missing cranes, multiple Curators of Birds of zoos
with Hooded Cranes; including the Bronx Zoo where the missing Idaho birds
originated; and I can say that all the evidence I have so far is that the
Idaho birds were PINIONED (incapable of sustained flight). Bands can be
removed but pinioning is permanent. The Idaho birds were hatched at the
Bronx Zoo in the late 1980's, and came up missing in December of 2007
(missing; not necessarily escaped - part of the long story). The owner of
the Idaho birds told me that he had these birds in an open pen for about
seven or eight years and none of them could fly very far; as all were
pinioned."

"Are there enough birds available over the next 10 days to reach 745?"

Yes, Whooper Swan 742, Nutting's Flycatcher, Streak-backed Oriole.

He dipped on Redwing and Dusky Thrush.

it's strangely compulsive following this - I think he still has a pelagic lined up for Great Skua out of Gloucester or somewhere, too. [Edit- I see referred to above.]

Last edited:
Yes, you are right, there is no Streaked-back. There is a Black-vented
Oriole in Texas.

At one point I thought that he said he was going to stay in the south and
chase birds from there.

Although a Streak-backed Oriole would have to be high on the list of possible rarities to show up between now and Jan 1, and there already have been a couple of one-day wonders this year, so I think one is PROBABLY around somewhere

Another bird that may show up that has not been mentioned is Western Spindalis -- an annual vagrant to south Florida that has remained elusive so far this year. I believe he has gotten La Sagra's Flycatcher, Bahama Mockingbird, and Thick-billed Vireo (my bird). The spindalis is the most likely bird to show up among all the possible West Indian vagrants, hopefully during one of our CBCs here.

He can still do this if people continue to crank out good birds.

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back