• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavor ED IV 10x42 diffraction spikes (1 Viewer)

DamZe

Denmark
Greetings fellow birdwatchers

I recently purchased the Vanguard Endeavor ED IV binoculars. The IQ is very solid with lively colors and a wide field of view are really making for a nice viewing experience.

But recently I tried using them at nighttime and noticed some glaring diffraction spikes when viewing some street lights. When observing the moon, I did not notice these, but should I be concerned with the roof finishing on my unit? Granted these aren't the most expensive binoculars, but they weren't the cheapest either.

I have contacted Vanguard customer support, but alas have not gotten a response yet.

Has anyone experienced this on similar priced binoculars?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My Endeavor IV 10x42 exhibits quite prominent spikes on bright light sources. This just means that the roof edge has not been polished or ground or both with great precision, something that is not too unusual for low to midprice binos (even some expensive models exhibit spikes, but not as prominently) and probably not something customer support can help you with (unless Vanguard has recently improved prism quality).

My Endeavor IV 10x42 exhibits quite prominent spikes on bright light sources. This just means that the roof edge has not been polished or ground or both with great precision, something that is not too unusual for low to midprice binos (even some expensive models exhibit spikes, but not as prominently) and probably not something customer support can help you with (unless Vanguard has recently improved prism quality).

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Endeavor IV!

It is strange though that my Nikon Monarch 5 (2021) cost me less and has no spikes, but as you said it can be hit and miss in this regard.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back