• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Varanus Island (1 Viewer)

VARANUS ISLAND.
Blow wind blow this wave washed isle, out in the Ocean, mile after mile.
Jagged cliffs with Oyster a plenty, and sun beats down with heated smile,
This lonely Isle where Bond has sent me.

I wander often this rugged land, along turtle beaches of yellow sand.
I watch the birds as I wander along and hold their young within my hand
I am a singer and this is my song.

Ospreys nest on the cliffs out here, and fish the waters oh so clear.
Where I swim with snorkel, viewing fish, Unafraid they are and swim quite near,
I am the dreamer, here I dream my wish.

I wish I were alone on this isle so far, to sing and dress under the southern star.
Where no man lived till Bond arrived, and destroyed the peace with plane and car.
It’s thanks to Butler most parts survive.

You’ll be free Varanus when Bond has gone, ten years hence when things are done.
You’ll be returned as you were in your glory, when oil in the ground has been won,
Returned again to your natural story.

I shall miss your peace, your cliffs and sea, your rugged land is paradise to me.
The wind that beats with roar and sigh, Will call my soul wanting to be free,
And again to your shores I will come to die.

Alan Bond of Bond Petroleum opened up the Island for storing Oil. I joined the catering crew a fortnight after production started. Sadly the Island is still being used for the oil, and now Gas production and it will be many years before it will be shut down and the Island allowed to return to its natural state again.

Thanks Christine. I hope by the time I have finished my story about Varanus Island that I have given everyone a clearer picture of the place. I truly think I was one of the luckies persons around to have lived in such an environment. I am now putting together the story of my involvement with the Marine Turtles and I will be putting in that illustrated story that is posted somewhere else in BF, or was it in Talk Small.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back