• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vega Gull Eye, Orbital Ring (1 Viewer)

Faer Out

Japan
I believe this is a Vega Gull, Larus argentatus vegae.

I love the eyes on this one. BOW says regarding the Herring Gull, "In adults, the iris is straw or pale orange-yellow and becomes brighter in March–June; the orbital ring is yellow-orange to reddish orange in March–June, dulling to pinkish or grayish during the non-breeding seasons." I'd call the iris straw maybe and it's quite bright, but the orbital ring is bright orange and it's February 8 here. Is the Vega on a slightly different schedule? The rest of the bird looks Adult, non-breeding plumage. Just curious, does anyone know more about this?

Attachments

• 5DM43227.jpg
    5DM43227.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 5DM43227-2.jpg
    5DM43227-2.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back