• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verification from Coos Bay, Oregon (3 Viewers)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
Hi, took these yesterday (Feb 4, 2024) on the coast of Oregon. I think they are Common Loon and White-Winged Scoter, would like to verify as they will be lifers. The second Scoter photo shows him with what I think is a small crab he was eating. Thank you for any assistance. Lisa

Loon1.jpgLoon2.jpgwhitewingedscoter.jpgwhite-winged-scoter2.jpg

Scoter is easy: white on wing. Confirmed by odd white patch below & behind the eye.

Loon is Common, by combination of neck pattern (note incomplete white collar in first photo), bill shape (symmetric; red-throated has a distinctly up-turned bill), and bill color (yellow-billed is easily ruled out).

Common loon...! And I love the image of the scoter eating.... anytime you can capture an image of a bird doing some sort of behavior, well....all the more to ya as a photographer! jim

Common loon...! And I love the image of the scoter eating.... anytime you can capture an image of a bird doing some sort of behavior, well....all the more to ya as a photographer! jim
Thank you, I love getting the behavior type shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back