• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

This morning, for the first time, I saw a Grey Wagtail in my back garden. The only other time I've seen one was in Arrowe Park, North Wirral, by the side of a brook, about three years ago.

80* not 80m.. that would be something

lol, 80m starling.... imagine the bird seed you would go through then!

Sandhill cranes were back today yet again, they've actually started hanging around much of a day, preening, resting, feeding, 'dancing', it's great to see. This morning, another 3 cranes landed nearby and the current two made a real noise and display of scaring them off from their turf ;)

Otherwise at the feeders, the usual common ground and mourning doves. Plenty of other things flying by and seen at the lake from the backyard though.

Male Sparrowhawk circled above the house and was then seen of by 20+ feral pigs... gutted

20 good attacks from the larger female sparrowhawk could wipe these out

A female sparrowhawk attack feral pigs? Seems a bit out of their leauge? :p

Not a bird, but we had a very scaley visitor this afternoon, I was relaxing outside when a Black Racer snake came slowly sliding by. I watched it for at least 20 minutes, it appeared to be hunting for lizards/frogs and was doing a lot of scenting and nosing under foliage and even climbed the small palm next to the bird feeder. Beautiful creature, scared the common ground-doves off though xD

I heard something crash into the conservatory window so I went to the window and on the ground, right next to me, looking up at me, was a female sparrowhawk. She soon flew off but I wish I had realised what had happened. I might have had a longer view.:t:

I have not seen a blackbird for months, very unusual.

Also had Siskin, Redpoll, male Bullfinch and GSW all seen or heard today

CB

Make that 18. 6 Siskins just seen feeding in the trees to the rear. One day later than last year.

Great stuff guys, really wanting the Siskins and Redpolls for turn up. although I am proably at least afew weeks off yet.

However I have a new neighbour that backs onto my garden feeder trees and he has this morning cut down a whole row of trees in his garden so hope it doesnt affect things here :C

Great stuff guys, really wanting the Siskins and Redpolls for turn up. although I am proably at least afew weeks off yet.

However I have a new neighbour that backs onto my garden feeder trees and he has this morning cut down a whole row of trees in his garden so hope it doesnt affect things here :C

Ahhh its soul destroying when that happens. I had a new neighbour earlier in the year, cut down all the flowers and shrubs in the front, which a lot of birds nested in, and cut down an apple tree that judging by its size and the lichen on it must be about 60+ years. Also cleared a lot of flowering shrubs. No point reasoning with them all they do is swear ,shout and grunt at each other. . .

Ahhh its soul destroying when that happens. I had a new neighbour earlier in the year, cut down all the flowers and shrubs in the front, which a lot of birds nested in, and cut down an apple tree that judging by its size and the lichen on it must be about 60+ years. Also cleared a lot of flowering shrubs.

That's very annoying. Our neighbour has a very mature hawthorn tree and the birds love it before coming down to the feeders. Without it I'm sure it would affect my garden visitors. Hope yours aren't affected BFB.

I heard something crash into the conservatory window so I went to the window and on the ground, right next to me, looking up at me, was a female sparrowhawk. She soon flew off but I wish I had realised what had happened. I might have had a longer view.:t:

I have not seen a blackbird for months, very unusual.

Wow..... glad she is ok :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back