• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very few chaffinches this year? (2 Viewers)

Fred K

Hello,

I have a small feeding station in Brussels. For the last 2 years, I remember counting at least 7-8 chaffinches on a few occasions on extra cold days. However, this year, I only have one female, probably a faithful one from last year.

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in chaffinches this year? I'm thinking that it might be linked to bad weather during the breeding season or a new virus?

Also had my first brambling today. So 1 chaffinch, 1 brambling.

Hello,

I have a small feeding station in Brussels. For the last 2 years, I remember counting at least 7-8 chaffinches on a few occasions on extra cold days. However, this year, I only have one female, probably a faithful one from last year.

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in chaffinches this year? I'm thinking that it might be linked to bad weather during the breeding season or a new virus?

Also had my first brambling today. So 1 chaffinch, 1 brambling.
Hi Fred.... there seem to be average numbers in Worcestershire, UK in Alder trees moving down to the ground - but down on the massive flocks we had last year. I live in the countryside & numbers are usually determined by the winter cover crops used. Some crops attract good diverse flocks of Chaffinch, Linnet & Bramblings & last year had up to 2000 birds including Redwing, Fieldfare, Starlings & Meadow Pipit. This year we have winter greens for sheep feed - so are below 100 with a few Bramblings. They are transient & will flock determined by food source. I don't think there is a virus but just hope we see more next year if the local food supply is better.

An absolute desert of Chaffinches, Green Finch, Gold Finch. Robin are also scarce on the ground too.

Mentioned it a couple of weeks back as it is really getting alarmingly noticeable around Moray Firth way.

Lots of goldfinches in my area, had 14 at my mums garden at once but never had a chaffinch or brambling visit either garden.

Edit: My uncle had a flock of 40 siskins visit his garden and the woods around him two days ago.

Last edited:
Here in Central France we have good numbers of chaffinches at the moment as well as bramblings. Swarms of blue and great tits on the feeding stations with the occasional marsh tit as well.

Seems to be loads of chaffinches in the fields around where I work in Sussex, flock of 60+ and had a bigger flock at The Burgh last Saturday the most I've seen for years in both cases, anecdotal I know but perhaps the mild winter means there is no need for them to come into garden feeders yet with so much food in the wider countryside !!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back