• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vesper or Brewer's Sparrow (1 Viewer)

countryboy2

Please help identify. Taken in central British Columbia

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 8.14.40 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 8.14.40 AM.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 46
I would go with Vesper for this bird. The tail looks proportionally shorter than on Brewer's, and I do believe the shoulder patch is visible enough to support Vesper. I suspect that the impression of a smaller bill is due to the angle of the bird's head. That strong dark line separating the throat and cheek is good for Vesper and not Brewer's, which can show eye-ring but has a plainer face overall.

Habitat could be a clue, I believe Brewer's prefers drier areas than Vesper during breeding season.

Valid points. The amount of contrast and tail-length are good arguments. Looking at photos it is possible for the rufous to be hidden or just not stand out that much, so I think your assessment is better than mine.

Vesper is quite widespread, while Brewer's is more uncommon and localized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back